ATN gennaker

M

Member 131497

Hi again
rigging an ATN gennaker to the mast
on a Bristol 24. How high on tbe mast should the block needs to be for the sock? what block size? halyard size?
this is to be use with an ATN tacker system(pls google such) also if you care to elabirate about deck blocks, ect to handle this sail.... once again your input is always, always appreciated.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
According to the image of the Bristol from Sailboat Data shows the boat as a mast head rig. As I understandare going to need to add the Spinnaker to the mast head.

Because the forestay is at the mast head you will want to add your rig on a crane. That will get the gear out in front of the mast.
51A68EEB-AD66-4890-AD68-81DD33A33D21.jpeg

You will need to explore options to secure an Asymmetrical spinnaker tack at the bow. This may mean a sprit on the bow. You will want a line that runs to the cockpit to adjust the tack. It can be run back in the same way as the furler line.

Sheets for a spinnaker need to run from the sail to blocks at the stern. This gives you the best system to fly a spinnaker. Your sheets will need a way to secure them in the cockpit. You might consider cam cleats

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Hi soon sailing. What you have the red circle around is a tacker or tacking assister.

A crane is a part of the masthead or a masthead attachment which locates the spinnaker block forward of everything up at the top of the mast.

OIP.jpg

In the first pic you can see (from the bottom)
a. the blue flec foresail halyard.
b, the shackle for the forestay
c. the spinnaker halyard block shackled to the crane.
OI.jpg

Here is another pic showing the foresail halyard lower than the crane.
3.jpg

You can buy aftermarket cranes and fit to the masthead. Probably available here at SBO.

If your spinnaker halyard block is below the foresail halyard and forestay you can end up with all sorts of drama way up at the top of the mast. especially if you have a spinnaker sock up there.

gary

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
We ran our sheet to the stern cleat for the first sail, then we added a pulley to that cleat to have it tail into a winch so I could adjust it.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
How high on tbe mast should the block needs to be for the sock? what block size? halyard size?
The sock does not need a separate halyard. The Spin halyard attaches to the sock outside of the sock, the spinnaker attaches to the sock inside the sock. There is a wire or short length of dyneema connecting the two. Also attached at the top of the sock is a small block and a line that goes from the bottom of the sock to the top and back to the bottom. This line will raise or lower the sock. This line has no serious loads on it, so a ¼" line will be more than adequate, polyester or nylon is OK.

The tack for the spinnaker attaches to the ATN Tacker which is wrapped around the furled Genoa. A tack line or downhaul is attached to the tacker at the same point as the spinnaker tack. This line then goes to the deck and a block before leading aft to a secure point, a winch or a strong cleat. This line will have substantial loads on it, so it much be of good quality. For a 24 ft boat, probably ⅜" polyester would work, a high tech or hybrid line would also work.

The spinnaker halyard must be hung from a block at the masthead that is forward of the forestay, otherwise it will be difficult to gybe without getting the sail caught in the foretriangle.

If you are considering a new spinnaker, talk to your sailmaker about how to specifically rig the sail on your boat. Otherwise you will only get the most general of answers here.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Hi again
rigging an ATN gennaker to the mast
on a Bristol 24. How high on tbe mast should the block needs to be for the sock? what block size? halyard size?
this is to be use with an ATN tacker system(pls google such) also if you care to elabirate about deck blocks, ect to handle this sail.... once again your input is always, always appreciated.
Lots of good advice given already. I used an ATN tacker and sock on a C&C 24 so would add the following:

As the flying sail collapses and then abruptly refills (during gybes or abrupt wind shifts) the tacker “cup” will “flex” the furled headsail. It’s important to ensure the headsail is furled tightly, and the integrity of the furling system is sound. I also added backstay tension to take out any sag in the furled headstay. If you watch the ATN videos they show the devices used in light air, there is a reason for that! :)

I didn’t use any type of block to help pull the sleeve down although I learned to take out any twists in the sleeve BEFORE I hoisted it.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
My dousing sleeve came with everything needed. You don't need an extra block for the sock and sail... You need a swivel block attached to an extension crane that places the whole package in front of the forestay. You can base the block size according to the halyard size/diameter. The key is "swivel" block.... never call it a pulley btw. As mentioned before you can probably find a crane fitting through this site or check with companies like "rigrite.com" You many have to drill some holes. Instructions for rigging an asymetrical spinnaker are all over the internet and youtube... The essentials are a spinnaker halyard, a tackline (preferably adjustable) and some sheet blocks attached back near the pulpit. You may also want to invesigate rigging up a set of "twings" or "tweakers"... I'll let you look it to that on your own.
One final thing.... It is possible to fly your sock and spinnaker from an existing jib halyard and a single piece of line for the tack. The critical rule is that you must gybe the spinnaker inside the forestay like an unwind sail. This can lead to problems also...which can be avoided by dousing the spinnaker and simply moving it to the other side....then reset on the new tack.

One final, final thing. On a 24 foot boat, you may find the spinnaker sleeve to be more trouble than it's worth. You must still go to the foredeck to handle the sail and the rigging for the sock just adds another thing to do. It's actually easier to launch and retrieve out of a traditional "turtle" bag on boats under 30 feet. Just my opinion, though. Good luck.

danvon

Dec 18, 2014
Catalina 27 Seattle
I'd second not using the sock. It is not impossible for the plastic ring at the end of the sock (which is at the head of the sail when flying it) to foul on the headstay or the top of the furler when gybing. This can cause real trouble if is is windy (ask me how I know). And that sail should be a fine size to handle without it. Just remember to slack the tack line when you want to drop it, so you can collapse the bottom of the sail.

M

Member 131497

forgot to mention that there will be a Schaeffer 500 furler, now then is the jib halyard the one connected to the halyard swivel in top? right?

M

Member 131497

20201123_225739.jpg
hi... is that u shape metal "the crown" on the left of the head?
and thanks for caring and taking from your time to answer this

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not “ the crown”. It is a “crane”.
You attach the block to the crane. Then run the halyard through the block.

Oct 2, 2012
Fountain Pajot Bahia 46 128 Abroad
One thing we always add to our spinnaker launch tube control line is the single block with cam cleat and snap, not in the photo, for attachment to the base of a stanchion. The control line block is to be attached to the leeward side bow area.
When you raise the launch tube the cleated control line keeps the tube from going up before you are ready. To bring the tube down, you can now sit down on the deck and pull the control line with safety and ease while the line is cleated. This control line can have quite a load when the breeze is up. The ATN sock needs this added to the control line. Be sure to size the block to the line size.
Enjoy your new sailing experience!