At a loss with my bottom paint

Nov 19, 2009
Hunter 45CC Ft Pierce and Abaco Bahamas
In April 2017 I did a bottom paint job. I chipped away peeling paint, sanded, chipped again, more sanding and more sanding, washed it off twice. Three coats of Petit Hydrocoat. Put the boat in the water late April, and had a few things installed, then took it to Delaware for the summer. October, took it to Florida and it was there a month. After that month I had to get the bottom cleaned (in water cleaning). November I took the boat to Hope Town Bahamas. In March 2018, took the boat to Marsh Harbor and had an in-water cleaning again. The bottom was filthy. Now I’m getting ready to bring it back to Florida. And AGAIN the bottom is filthy. I will need the bottom cleaned again. This just seems like a lot of growth for paint that’s a year old.
Any ideas? I’m sure there’s better paint out there, what kind?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Delaware to the Bahamas covers a wide range of conditions. No paint is effective everywhere.

Nov 19, 2009
Delaware to the Bahamas covers a wide range of conditions. No paint is effective everywhere.
Well from this point on, it’ll be mostly southern Florida and maybe a couple of months in the Bahamas

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Is the growth mostly soft slime or barnacles too? It sounds like the boat was basically sitting in place for some extended periods once you arrived at your destinations? Without water movement some growth will happen.

Nov 19, 2009
Is the growth mostly soft slime or barnacles too? It sounds like the boat was basically sitting in place for some extended periods once you arrived at your destinations? Without water movement some growth will happen.
Some hard stuff and some “grass”, not really slime. Yes not a lot of movement, but man the growth is just incredible.
So if it’s in one place for some time, bottom cleaning has to be done once one a month?
Just seems excessive to me

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
All Hydrocoat is not same, which version did you use. A rolling stone gathers no moss!

Nov 19, 2009
All Hydrocoat is not same, which version did you use. A rolling stone gathers no moss!
Not sure which version actually. I didn't know there were different versions actually

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
You should be using Hydrocoat SR, it includes an anti-soft growth addititive which is beneficial for boats that don’t move much. There was a shortage of the additive a year or so ago and it was difficult to find the SR. I find Hydrocoat works well in warm water, and since it is an ablative just scrub it down like you are doing and be prepared to pressure wash and reapply. Hydrocoat sticks well, just need to scrubby-pad the clean surface and paint. Don’t over-do it. One coat is probably enough unless you have worn off what you have.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I use Trinidad SR and have a diver once a month here in South Florida. In less than a week, I can have tiny barnacles growing on my unpainted RIB. On the good side, I am getting at least 3 to 4 years out of the paint. Like has been said, it all depends on where you are anchored.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Practical Sailor just did a piece on bottom cleaning. The short story is that aggressive cleaning will accelerate paint loss.

Ablative paints are designed to be gradually sloughed off exposing new biocides, scrubbing takes he paint off. Their suggestion, is to use the gentlest method possible, starting with plain rubber gloves to knock the barnacles and growth off.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
If you have soft paint, you are supposed to rub it down every 2 weeks if you are not constantly moving. Hope Town and Marsh Harbour have a lot of growth so if you sit there for a month, yes you will need to clean. In fact, I don't know of any place you can sit for a month and not need at least some cleaning before sailing. I have tried many paints, all with the same result, so I prefer hard paint now as that doesn't come off when I clean. I'm not going to get in the water and clean it every 2 weeks like you are supposed to with soft paint if I am not going anywhere for months.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Some hard stuff and some “grass”, not really slime. Yes not a lot of movement, but man the growth is just incredible.
So if it’s in one place for some time, bottom cleaning has to be done once one a month?
Just seems excessive to me
Since you leave the boat in the water year round, go with a hard shell paint, instead of the ablative, and hire a diver to wipe it down every month.... in the long run you will save because the paint coverage will last longer and require less haul outs.
Our SoCal waters are colder and somewhat cleaner, but with regular diver maintenance you can go at least 4 years between haul outs.... I've gone 7 since the last one, and the diver only uses a piece of carpet to wipe the slime off. Also... when you're ready to repaint...have a diver clean the bottom just before haulout. It'll save a lot of time and make the job quite a bit easier.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I use Dry Diver Brush to clean the slime off a couple of times each season. Can be used at the dock or over the side from deck. Takes about ten minutes to clean entire hull (except keel). Search on line for place to purchase. Works great.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Yep just did mine in Green Turtle Cay.

PS our diver did a quick scrape with a blade then used his gloves for wiping it down. Four months in the Bahamas after sailing from Maine to Florida starting October 1st. One cleaning in 7 months using Hydrocoat Eco.

Last edited:

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I think the Hydracoat is for power boats and the Hydracoat SR (as Gunni pointed-out) is for sailboats.

An ablative paint really doesn't ablate very much unless you're doing over 15 knots or, as you can see, when a diver rubs it a bit. (Then it sort-of begins disappearing).

We used to use Micron 66 ablative paints in the Chesapeake, then we had the bottom coat soda blasted and used a hard paint - VC offshore. It's not legal to have an ablative paint wiped down where we are (I'm doubt it is in Florida, either). That didn't hold-up very well, but it was "faster through the water". We now have Petite Trinidad SR (which has the highest copper content), it has less "fuzz" that builds-up.

We have ours wiped at least every two weeks in the Chesapeake in the summer. It grows a slight amount of "fuzzy scum", but no barnacles. When we take the boat up to Maine in the Summers, even there (and with the 700 nm trip up) there is a slight fuzz that grows. We have it wiped down every 3 or 4 weeks.

In Florida, you are just in the gooh of life waters in the summer -- what do you expect? :^))).

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Here in south Florida, the divers that clean bottoms do a booming business. Average cleaning intervals range from 1-4 weeks, unless you are in an area with very fast moving water or you take the boat out & use it frequently. The speed boat guys usually use hard bottom paint & the sailboat guys usually use the soft, rub off paints. Things were very different up north, where I only cleaned the hull on the morning before a race.

Welcome to South Florida. Fuzzy bottoms are part of the price that you pay for living in paradise.

BruceC

Oct 6, 2008
Oday 26 So. Orleans
I agree completely recommendation of "Sailm8" in going with Trinidad SR which is a hard bottom paint as they do not make a better bottom paint for the conditions you are experiencing. Of course, where you have already applied Pettit Hydrocoat, a water based ablative paint, you could not apply Trinidad SR over your existing paint. You can apply an ablative paint over a hard bottom paint, but not the reverse; you would first have to remove the existing ablative paint. After years of using Trinidad, I switched to Pettit's Ultima SR, an excellent ablative paint but does not compare with Pettit's Trinidad SR. The often heard argument is that an ablative paint precludes the build up of paint you get with a hard bottom paint. However, with a light sanding I never had a build up of paint using Trinidad SR where I did experience some minor problem with the Ultima SR. Pettit's Trinidad is EXPENSIVE, but worth it. The only reason I have not switched back is that at 77 years of age I do not want to expend the effort removing the ablative paint!

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I used the Micron 66 over 3 years ago. In S Florida you need monthly cleaning to keep it clean. but even after I left it for several months in a row I had no hard encrustations on painted parts. Unpainted prop however had both barnacles and big oysters on it. Now I pay someone to do it monthly.