Asymmetrical tack

KeithD

Feb 25, 2011
Beneteau 42 Alameda
Is there a popular or safe way to attach the tack of an asymmetrical spinnaker to the bow of a Capri 22 without a bowsprit? How are Capri owners flying their gennakers without compromising the forestay or bow rail/pulpit? Thx, Keith

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
I plan to place a block next to the forestay on the bow fixture. I will run a tack line through the block behind the bow pulpit and attach the tack to it above the pulpit. At worst, the pulpit will see a lateral load which I will evaluate once in place. If I judge the lateral load excessive, I will thread the tack line under the pulpit. I plan to run only one sheet on the side I have the spin. If I need to jibe I will do it manually. Would only use the spin if I can reach for a few hours.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Got a furler on the foresail?
If yes, look into parrell beads to make your tack adjustable.

Sep 25, 2018
I would if the furling jib were on the furler. Had a halyard failure ( a friend ???) tied the halyard to the jib with a single square knot that let loose resulting in the halyard now being at the top of the mast. I would need to take the boat out and drop the mast to reinstall the halyard. Too much work for my frail old body. I have been sailing on main alone with good winds making 3-4 knts. Summer of light winds in the Hudson begs for the asym spin so plan to rig it temp until I find some young strong lads to to do the heavy lifting to drop the mast and re-install the jib on the furler.

Sep 25, 2018
I went out yesterday and rigged the Asym using a turning block at the bow carrying a tack line. Worked well in 3mph getting 3-4 knots on a broad reach.

Jul 28, 2016
I race with an Asymmetric Spinnaker, and have installed a Selden retractable bow sprit. Prior to that, I simply shackled a block to to stem head fitting in front of the forestay attachement, and ran a tack line aft from there. The parrel beads (or ATN's "TACKER") or other such devices help to keep the tack of the spinnaker from spilling off to leeward - which can be a problem when trying to use the spinnaker when the apparent wind angle move forward. Any time the apparent wind angle is aft of the beam, I have found that they aren't needed, but YMMV.

Jul 31, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 39 Seneca, SC
I do not race the asymmetric and I aim to yank the sail in long before it could compromise the pulpit. The tack is attached to a swivel block at the bow/forestay. It is the simplest setup and is a good place to start. The block and tack line also serve as a downhaul for the jib, useful to bring down the headsail from the cockpit when single handed.

I tested running the tack forward of the pulpit but did not see how it could work upwind without a sprit. The tack line needs to be tightened upwind yet the bow light is in the way and too much stress would be placed on the pulpit.

Upwind

Offwind

Sep 25, 2018
I set up my asym the same way as sroberts. There is less pressure on the pulpit than when I lean on it for support clearing some snag up front. While a sprit would put the spinnaker further forward, I only fly the asym in light winds so the slight difference in balance is negligible.

Apr 16, 2020
Catalina Capri 22 Lake Travis
I just bought an ATN Tacker and tried it with my symmetrical. It works!!! I have a furling 135 genoa though.

I tried it both cruising and racing: Not very practical for racing and I will go back to flying my symmetrical on a pole for racing but great for cruising and we were able to handle it with just 2 people on the boat.

Sep 25, 2018
I fly the asym single handed. It's in a sock. Just attach the tack line and the halyard before leaving the dock. Just hoist and pull in the tack line, then raise the sock. I sometimes hoist at the dock and lash to the mast for quicker raising. All doable solo without an autopilot. Just let the boat head up and adjust once it's out. I don't jibe the asym, just sock it and move the sheet around the headstay.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The major value of a sprit is to get the sail away from the furler. Yes, it gets it out front and into clear air, but if you think you have a halyard problem now, wrap the top of the kite around the furler and watch the stress. Just sayin.