• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

Asymmetrical tack

KeithD

Feb 25, 2011
Beneteau 42 Alameda
Is there a popular or safe way to attach the tack of an asymmetrical spinnaker to the bow of a Capri 22 without a bowsprit? How are Capri owners flying their gennakers without compromising the forestay or bow rail/pulpit? Thx, Keith

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
I plan to place a block next to the forestay on the bow fixture. I will run a tack line through the block behind the bow pulpit and attach the tack to it above the pulpit. At worst, the pulpit will see a lateral load which I will evaluate once in place. If I judge the lateral load excessive, I will thread the tack line under the pulpit. I plan to run only one sheet on the side I have the spin. If I need to jibe I will do it manually. Would only use the spin if I can reach for a few hours.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Got a furler on the foresail?
If yes, look into parrell beads to make your tack adjustable.

Sep 25, 2018
I would if the furling jib were on the furler. Had a halyard failure ( a friend ???) tied the halyard to the jib with a single square knot that let loose resulting in the halyard now being at the top of the mast. I would need to take the boat out and drop the mast to reinstall the halyard. Too much work for my frail old body. I have been sailing on main alone with good winds making 3-4 knts. Summer of light winds in the Hudson begs for the asym spin so plan to rig it temp until I find some young strong lads to to do the heavy lifting to drop the mast and re-install the jib on the furler.

Sep 25, 2018
I went out yesterday and rigged the Asym using a turning block at the bow carrying a tack line. Worked well in 3mph getting 3-4 knots on a broad reach.

Jul 28, 2016
I race with an Asymmetric Spinnaker, and have installed a Selden retractable bow sprit. Prior to that, I simply shackled a block to to stem head fitting in front of the forestay attachement, and ran a tack line aft from there. The parrel beads (or ATN's "TACKER") or other such devices help to keep the tack of the spinnaker from spilling off to leeward - which can be a problem when trying to use the spinnaker when the apparent wind angle move forward. Any time the apparent wind angle is aft of the beam, I have found that they aren't needed, but YMMV.