I was suppose to be practicing anchoring; instead we flew an asymmetrical Spinnaker on our Mac25. The wind was light, very light. We were enjoying sitting and disconnecting but then I had an idea. Let’s hoist the dousing sock with the Jib halyard and see what it looks like. I attached the tack directly to the bow. I removed a very light length of line which was probably used as a tacker. I hoisted the sock and we ran the sheets accordingly. I pulled the line and raised the sock exposing the Spinnaker. It was quite stimulating. The sail filled then proceeded to twist and come down. We changed our point of sail and filled it again but it wasn’t stable. I looked up and witnessed the sail was twisted at the very top a few times. We played for a few minutes then doused it. I want to do it again lol. VERY SOON but, with it rigged better.
I would like to mount a block higher above the forestay on the mast for a Spinnaker halyard. I am unsure of what is best to purchase or how high I should go? I would also like to have a block on the foredeck with the tack line going through it and locked closer to the mast base. When I learn what I’m doing, I would be able to adjust the height of the tack and also allow the tack to come back to the mast for dousing. Again I am unsure of the hardware best to use. I will likely completely over build it all lol.
For convenience Amazon would be where I would order from. I have a length of Samson 10mm line I can use. I have a bail that I could mount on the mast but..... I would imagine there is a fair amount of stress on this setup. Also I’m thinking a clutch mounted on the deck by the mast would be best to lock the tack and another cleat on the mast for the sock lines? Any help, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
I must also ask, I have a very loved crew, what is the safest way to quickly stop flying the Spinnaker? My thought, release the tack? The thought following that, the sheet will come flying whipping if it’s not winched and cleated. Maybe best to release the sheets then tack then safely bring the sock down?
Appreciate any advice. TIA
I would like to mount a block higher above the forestay on the mast for a Spinnaker halyard. I am unsure of what is best to purchase or how high I should go? I would also like to have a block on the foredeck with the tack line going through it and locked closer to the mast base. When I learn what I’m doing, I would be able to adjust the height of the tack and also allow the tack to come back to the mast for dousing. Again I am unsure of the hardware best to use. I will likely completely over build it all lol.
For convenience Amazon would be where I would order from. I have a length of Samson 10mm line I can use. I have a bail that I could mount on the mast but..... I would imagine there is a fair amount of stress on this setup. Also I’m thinking a clutch mounted on the deck by the mast would be best to lock the tack and another cleat on the mast for the sock lines? Any help, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
I must also ask, I have a very loved crew, what is the safest way to quickly stop flying the Spinnaker? My thought, release the tack? The thought following that, the sheet will come flying whipping if it’s not winched and cleated. Maybe best to release the sheets then tack then safely bring the sock down?
Appreciate any advice. TIA