Arghhhhh. Lawyers......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Except that some lawyers convince people there is a mess when there isn't one.
That too! But most people know the difference between being tripped over and being kicked.

kenn

Apr 18, 2009
CL Sandpiper 565 Toronto
P.S. Nice pic with the sunset? or sunrise? in the background.
Thanks. :) My icon pic is our boat at sunrise. We were probably still asleep in there. It was taken by a friend when a bunch of us (10 Sandpipers) overnighted off Beausoileil Island in Georgian Bay in mid August 2009.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Attorneys and the legal profession are a vital part of our society. They're like police or firemen. You only call them when you need them. BUT - Think about it. 1/2 of all attorneys (and doctors) graduated in the bottom half of their class. As the old Knight Templar told Indiana Jones, "Choose wisely".
The supra-abundance of attorneys in the US (1 shyster per 240 citizens) has been the cause of a ~15+% hidden risk or 'lawyer fee' attached every damn product and service offered. The pursuit of deep pockets though a civil law system totally devoid of integrity with added insane contingency fees (+ billable hours) surely requires TORT REFORM (or reeducation camps). Other countries have had serious tort reform and released themselves from the oligarchy of shysters.
If humankind can decode the human genome, most certainly 'the law' (at about 8000 laws per US citizen) can be computerized ... and the rampant 'pursuit of the legal lottery jackpot' greed by the societally-cancerous shysters put to an end. Just maybe when all the lawyers are rounded up and reeducated, maybe then, simple plain-spoken honesty and integrity will return to society. TORT REFORM.

Once during a nanosecond, I even though about becoming a lawyer .... specializing in lawyer malpractice, as 50% of ALL lawyers lose their cases and therefore are vividly and absolutely guilty of malpractice ... at an average of 50% of the time.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Im not a lawyer, but I find this degree of strident bashing of the legal profession offensive, and inappropriate. There's an expression that goes something like 'all lawyers suck, except mine.' God forbid, but what if you ran someone over and killed them and it wasn't your fault; or shot someone who broke into your house; or had someone steal your professional services; or had a merchant or bank or tradesman steal from you or cheat you; or someone injure or kill a loved one?? Care to defend yourself in court on a case where there's the potential for jail time and a felony conviction? The prosecutors and judges and advocates are all lawyers.

We are a country of laws, and without the law and lawyers we would have anarchy. There are good and bad in every profession. We could just as easily and glibly go on about car salesmen, car repairmen, boat repairmen, marina operators, plumbers, doctors, dentists, civil servants 'feeding at the public trough,' cops, firemen, priests, etc., etc.

This is a boating forum, remember? The issue was the discontinuance of allowing folks to use GPS 'heading' info (i.e., COG) for overlaying chart/radar data - which is probably a good idea, in my opinion! One of the lessons that seems overlooked here is that the plaintiff may have indeed had a case. If someone could post a link to the decision I would certainly like to read it, and some background on the case.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
The supra-abundance of attorneys in the US (1 shyster per 240 citizens) has been the cause of a ~15+% hidden risk or 'lawyer fee' attached every damn product and service offered. The pursuit of deep pockets though a civil law system totally devoid of integrity with added insane contingency fees (+ billable hours) surely requires TORT REFORM (or reeducation camps). Other countries have had serious tort reform and released themselves from the oligarchy of shysters.
If humankind can decode the human genome, most certainly 'the law' (at about 8000 laws per US citizen) can be computerized ... and the rampant 'pursuit of the legal lottery jackpot' greed by the societally-cancerous shysters put to an end. Just maybe when all the lawyers are rounded up and reeducated, maybe then, simple plain-spoken honesty and integrity will return to society. TORT REFORM.

Once during a nanosecond, I even though about becoming a lawyer .... specializing in lawyer malpractice, as 50% of ALL lawyers lose their cases and therefore are vividly and absolutely guilty of malpractice ... at an average of 50% of the time.
That is a simply despicable post. Reeducation camps? I can only imagine that this is hyperbole, or maybe even sarcasm; so much of it is so utterly ridiculous.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX

We are a country of laws, and without the law and lawyers we would have anarchy.
Not true. What you're trying to describe is called lawlessness. Anarchy is a political system eschewing "leaders". Means "without head".
Think: Anarchy, monarchy, plutarchy, oligarchy, etc..

See you in the War Room!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Not true. What you're trying to describe is called lawlessness. Anarchy is a political system eschewing "leaders". Means "without head".
Think: Anarchy, monarchy, plutarchy, oligarchy, etc..

See you in the War Room!
From wikipedia, emphasis added to what I meant:

"Anarchy (from the ancient Greek ἀναρχία, anarchia, from ἀν an, "not" +‎ ἀρχός arkhos, "ruler", meaning "absence of a leader", "without rulers"), has more than one definition. In the United States, the term "anarchy" typically is used to refer to a society without a publicly enforced government or violently enforced political authority.[1][2] When used in this sense, anarchy may[3] or may not[4] be intended to imply political disorder or lawlessness within a society. However, this usage is not the traditional sense of the word.
Outside of the US, and by most individuals that self-identify as anarchists, it implies a system of governance, mostly theoretical at a nation state level although there are a few successful historical examples,[5] that goes to lengths to avoid the use of coercion, violence, force and authority, while still producing a productive and desirable society.[6]"

Jan 10, 2011
Macgregor 25 675 Lake Lanier
I jumped in the water and got wet. There was no warning sign. Who do I sue. I will have to go consult a lawyer tomorrow.

Sep 25, 2008
Hunter 376 San Rafael
Got another similar story

In a "perfect world" the fluxgate would be ideal but sadly we don't live in a perfect world and the fluxgate on "many boats" is VERY TOUGH to calibrate accurately and can get sent out of whack VERY easily depending upon location in the boat. They are not like a fixed mount compass where you can easily adjust the compensators so "accurate" on one point of sail may be spot on but off by many degrees on another point of sail.

I have sailed Maine for years, where we also have very strong currents, and the GPS heading data works well enough. I don't expect it to be perfect just a "nice to compare to". I would not expect it to be perfect with a fluxgate either, but apparently some do.

In speaking with Ben this morning, and discussing just this very point, he said the ONLY heading device he has found accurate was a $2000.00 satellite based N2K heading sensor. I also have rategyro and fluxgate info but still prefer my GPS heading data over the fluxgate/gyro for the reason I mentioned.. My compasses are also professionally swung to be as good as they can be but there is still error.

That said if a boat owner does not have an AP or an AP with rate gyro then they will have to now buy a fluxgate or other heading sensor on-top of the price of the radar and plotter. That is my main frustration...

Back in the '70's, the Hobie Cat dealer gave me a brand new plastic tiller handle for my Hobie 14. When I asked why, he said some bozo's family successfully sued Hobie when he hit a power line and electrocuted himself. They argued that if the tiller handle was not anodized aluminum, he would still be alive.

The other major point that the jury ignored was that the lake was fenced off, as it was a power generating reservoir. He cut the fence, and pushed his Hobie down to the lake that was off limits due to being DANGEROUS.:eek:

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
From wikipedia, emphasis added to what I meant:

"Anarchy (from the ancient Greek ἀναρχία, anarchia, from ἀν an, "not" +‎ ἀρχός arkhos, "ruler", meaning "absence of a leader", "without rulers"), has more than one definition. In the United States, the term "anarchy" typically is used to refer to a society without a publicly enforced government or violently enforced political authority.[1][2] When used in this sense, anarchy may[3] or may not[4] be intended to imply political disorder or lawlessness within a society. However, this usage is not the traditional sense of the word.
Outside of the US, and by most individuals that self-identify as anarchists, it implies a system of governance, mostly theoretical at a nation state level although there are a few successful historical examples,[5] that goes to lengths to avoid the use of coercion, violence, force and authority, while still producing a productive and desirable society.[6]"
Thank you.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Just an update. It appeas my post here and on Panbo have stirred the pot. Ben from Panbo began investigating and then the owner of the "Marine Installers Rant" blog began investigating. Well Raymarine has heard us and is going to return COG for radar overlay but not below 2 knots, which is a good idea. Software updates should be ready by late fall or early spring..

Marine Installers Rant Blog / COG Overlay

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
If you find lawyer bashing offensive, you are clearly in the minority, but entitled to your opinion nonetheless. I will assert that much of what is wrong with this country today is due to lawyers. Much of the rest is due to politicians, many of whom are lawyers.

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Wait just a minute here.

Everyone seems to be spouting off about lawyers -- but I see nothing solid to support these rants.

So Maine --- did the guy who sued win/loose/settle? Did some insurance company tell the defense lawyer -- the one they hired to defend the manufacturer - to settle and bug out?

The fact is that for every 100 silly cases the "lawyers" file - and that someone reports in the news -- just about zero of them end up being successful.

In any case - plenty of folks seem to be willing to report about stupid claims filed - but precious few are willing to tell us anything about how these silly claims actually end.

So far I am not impressed

Chas.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Wait just a minute here.

Everyone seems to be spouting off about lawyers -- but I see nothing solid to support these rants.

So Maine --- did the guy who sued win/loose/settle? Did some insurance company tell the defense lawyer -- the one they hired to defend the manufacturer - to settle and bug out?

The fact is that for every 100 silly cases the "lawyers" file - and that someone reports in the news -- just about zero of them end up being successful.

In any case - plenty of folks seem to be willing to report about stupid claims filed - but precious few are willing to tell us anything about how these silly claims actually end.

So far I am not impressed

Chas.
Actually we do know how it ended. I made a stink about this on-line, Ben of Panbo got involved as did the owner of Marine Installers Rant Blog and it spread to the installer community as well as DIY. Raymarine got wind of the bad press and now they are reportedly going to return the ability for COG and radar overlay as early as this fall with software updates...

No one has been able to get the specifics of the case but I know they are searching....

kenn

Apr 18, 2009
CL Sandpiper 565 Toronto
Everyone seems to be spouting off about lawyers --
Um, sure there are some people here with deep resentments about the legal profession, but most here are not objecting to lawyers per se but to litigiousness, its current use and abuse, and the extent to which the threat of litigation has a chilling effect on innovation.*

Not a lawyer by chance, are you?

*The comments expressed above constitute an original work of prose, to be used solely for entertainment purposes, and any other use or application is hereby prohibited. This work is provided without warranty or guarantee of accuracy and does not necessarily represent a statement of fact or of considered opinion.This work is not meant to be taken as advice or as a true representation of the state of the system of civil law as currently practiced in the United States of America, the civil laws themselves , any legal apparati, or the practitioners of civil law, either generally or specifically. Doan' sue me, bro.

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Obviously, we have a society which is over-populated with professional victims.

The US court systems (generally the separate 50 state systems) tolerate nearly all claims filed. Still -- results in any given claim may be wholly different in the Pacific NW than in the Atlantic NE.

The point seems to be that when ‘silly’ claims are filed - we should be prepared to weigh the filing of ‘silly’ claims against those that actually succeed before assessing blame to any particular region or profession.

I am completely certain that if we took the time to verify the ultimate result of silly claims filed -- we would clearly conclude that silly claims simply do not succeed. I am not yet willing to accept the idea that a ‘stupid’ claim could possibly explain any manufacturer‘s engineering design decision concerning radar/GPS overlay.

Charles

Status
Not open for further replies.