Are you on your last boat?

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I have owned my present boat almost 8 years. Very satisfied with the boat and still have upgrade projects that I would like to accomplish. I have done quite a few upgrades and of course, ongoing maintenance. The boat is comfortable and easy to handle. Great for its intended purpose of coastal cruising. I just haven't had the time to do as much as I would like. Hopefully retiring soon and will have more time for projects and cruising. Can't imagine wanting to buy another boat; HOWEVER, every hurricane season is another crap-shoot. If I were to lose this one, like my previous boat, who knows.....maybe one more boat!

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Probably not, but who knows....I really like my O’Day 322, and she is great for the Great Lakes, but certainly a boat for oceans. And a little too small to live aboard. But who knows if I will ever need a blue water, live-aboard? I hope so, but who knows.

I am still fixing this one up and learning to sail her...it has only been mine for 4 years :confused:

Greg

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
Reminds me of a boat I used to moor near named "Finally IV." Always cracked me up.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Yes, and it has been for the past 41 years!
(You're not talking about replacement tenders, are you?) :biggrin:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Bought my C30 two seasons ago as my retirement boat for daysailing and overnighting on the BB. It fits well into my retirement budget.
But after last years winter cruise in the PacNW, I have a bug for more extended sailing, so you never know.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
Our Oday25 was originally to be a stepping stone . I figured 5 or 6 years .It's now been 15 years. I wasn't able to sail last year ,not once . This year is looking pretty doubtful as well. Yet I have her at home and see her everyday . She is in much better shape than when I first brought her home . At this time I really don't see us getting a differant boat .Quite possibly Enigma is our last boat ..

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I have done quite a few upgrades and of course, ongoing maintenance
I loved my last boat, a C30, it was a perfect size. I did all the upgrades I wanted to make her exactly what I wanted. Most importantly I knew her inside and out. It was difficult selling her but I blended a family of seven children. At first, they were’t too keen on being with mom and dad until our grandkids started to grow up. Now they are starting to sail and ski with us on a regular basis. This required a bigger boat. Now I’m upgrading all over again. Seems like I’m doing the same upgrades I already did. I love the challenge of working on my boat but I really cringe at the thought of doing it again.

1589285553332.jpeg

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello,

Probably not. My boat is great for my CURRENT needs but I hope to retire in under 5 years. When that happens I hope to be able to live on a boat for a month or two at at a time. I expect a different boat would meet those needs better.

Barry

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
We are probably on our last sailboat, because it is the perfect boat for us. We changed sailboats at a rate of about 1 every 2-3 years until we got our CS-36T, which we have had now for about 15 years..

We're just not having enough time to use it these days, and may not even get to launch this season with a very strict Governor and COVID 19. I also fell off a ladder in a boat yard two years ago and did a number on a disc in my lower back. When it flares up I cannot sail. We are considering a switch back to a Downeast style single screw diesel for crusing the coast of Maine and the Maritimes, when we finally decide to sell the sailboat..
We bought our current sailboat planning on it being our last (our 4th) and that is still the plan. Our Grand plan is the same—as we will transition to a Downeaster when the time comes.
We were on the younger side of our sailing group and we watched as many transitioned to Trawlers, RVs and land for various reasons. We don’t see those options for us, but a nice single screw DE is what the plan is at some point in the future for us. We actually look at these now when we go to boat shows. I also have a personal relationship with the folks at Sabre and have been drawn to that style boat for a while now.
we can’t see not being connected to the water and our philosophy has changed over time. We no longer stress about ‘maximizing’ our short season and enjoy the boat as time and life allows.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The couple we bought Bella from were 80. They bought an RV and are seeing the US. They still sail with friends in their club.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Time flies.. Course we purchased it before we had even listed our Catalina 310. Lucky for us the C-310 sold very quickly...
I bet it did sell. That is one benefit of having a reputation for an impeccably maintained boat. My PDQ sold before I got it listed, by word of mouth.