Are you on your last boat?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Justin, if there is one thing this virus issue has to teach us, life is not without change. This very well may be the last boat you will ever need, want, or buy. It is good to find a point that you are happy with what you have. It might also be worthy to keep your options open. Who knows, you may get the hankering to sail waters beyond the Cheney Reservoir.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Maybe, maybe not. I'm very comfortable aboard my boat, it is fun to sail, and it's paid for. ;)

There may come a time when I look for a smaller boat around 30'. But that won't be for another 8-10 years. All depends on my health and ability to sail.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
John. We have definitely given thought to other surrounding lakes: Perry KS where we bought her. Grand lake in Oklahoma. It would mean committing to long drives. No more evening after work sails. Anything could happen once I retire though. But I would not like "starting over" bringing another boat up to Bella's level. I doubt I'll have that kind of discretionary income either.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
We are probably on our last sailboat, because it is the perfect boat for us. We changed sailboats at a rate of about 1 every 2-3 years until we got our CS-36T, which we have had now for about 15 years..

We're just not having enough time to use it these days, and may not even get to launch this season with a very strict Governor and COVID 19. I also fell off a ladder in a boat yard two years ago and did a number on a disc in my lower back. When it flares up I cannot sail. We are considering a switch back to a Downeast style single screw diesel for crusing the coast of Maine and the Maritimes, when we finally decide to sell the sailboat..

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Probably not. I find that I like to change boats about every 10 years for something completely different. I don't thirst after new cars, for example. I always buy used boats. But the thing about sailing I love is the learning process, and if I stay with one boat, at some point it ends. The only projects are maintenance. I won't learn to sail her better. In fact, she's probably taught me all she can.

What will my next boat be? I really don't know. That is probably 5-8 years away. Maybe larger, maybe smaller, but it won't be because I want more; I had that with my cruising cat. Maybe a monohull next time. I'll know. But finding that "last boat" or "forever boat" is not a goal of mine. Some people find comfort in that, which I respect.

(I'm 59)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I bought this boat as my last boat, but I never expected to meet and marry a great young lady to sail with me. This has changed things quite a bit as she can do a lot of things on the boat that keep us sailing, things I wouldn't have bothered with at my age.
This has probably extended my time boating, so that when a 50 footer becomes too much, we can get a dirt dwelling and a classic day sailer to mess about on in NE, or a smaller power boat and do the Canadian Maritimes from an inside pilothouse.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I sure hope not.... I still hold out hope that I will get a chance to live on a sailboat someday.

I've had this boat three years. So far, it is the longest I've managed to hang onto a sailboat without flipping it for another ...:rolleyes:

Stay tuned. With the recession coming, I may find a great deal and get the itch and ....:pimp:

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
When we can't sail anymore do to health or physicality we will probably be looking at trawlers. but hopefully that is a number of years away.
RC, can't believe you've had Cupecoy that long!
Stay safe everyone

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
When we can't sail anymore do to health or physicality we will probably be looking at trawlers. but hopefully that is a number of years away.
RC, can't believe you've had Cupecoy that long!
Stay safe everyone
Time flies.. Course we purchased it before we had even listed our Catalina 310. Lucky for us the C-310 sold very quickly...

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Yup. Although small, it fits the budget and if need be,the driveway. In our mid and late 60's although I drool over larger boats, it's not in our future. One disturbing trend is that I'm starting to drool over trailer cabin power boats also...Look! A Cutwater!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
One disturbing trend is that I'm starting to drool over trailer cabin power boats also...Look! A Cutwater!
All boats deserve some love... it is not the power boat that I sometimes dislike, it is the credit-card skippers... I have no problem with those power boats that are skippered by people who took the time and energy to ...

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Like it or not... I am probably done.
I used to like working on the boat as much as sailing , now its more like necessity.
Last year, between a late start to a normally short season due to a cold spring followed by less than desirable sailing conditions, we only sailed about a half dozen times. This season is looking like a total washout due to the dreaded Stay at home orders and excessively high water.
Beside that, I now own three homes, one of which I haven’t sold, one I closed on at the end of January and going through a major remodel, and my lake home. Obviously, the Coronavirus pandemic is a mitigating factor.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I am currently looking for my next boat. I love my old hunter, but it is not a blue water cruiser. My next boat will be taking me into the realm of blue water sailing and therefore a different boat is needed. However, after my next boat -that is really hard to predict. Will I then simply be done with sailing? Will I want a smaller boat? Perhaps a trailerable good for taking grandkids out on for day trips and weekends, if I ever get grandkids... (So there is another variable that is hard to predict at this point.) Would I then move to a trawler or other type of motor boat? Ask me in 15 years I may have a better idea then (hopefully I'll still be around to answer).

dj

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
We have had Lady Lillie for 20 years, and still are very happy with her. We have always said we might move to a boat that was easier to move around as age takes its toll. A walk through transom, easy access bed, and motorized winches are possibilities. Most of them mean a larger, newer boat. But my Dad went cruising with us at 83, so our last discussion was that 5 years (80) might be the time.

We have enjoyed chartering through the years, so that is an option. Taking along a grandkid as crew is another. Then there is the 85 year old we saw taking out his 45 footer at the Erie Yacht Club. A gorgeous 25 year old crew lady was doing all the work. Hmmmm.