Appropriate sealant and when to wax after bottom painting

May 5, 2008
Oday 25 Washington DC
I am about to install a Harken ratcheting block, a new bridle and bow handle. I picked up 5200 permanent sealant but maybe should not use that. Thoughts and advice appreciated.

Also just finished bottom paint 1 coat primer and 2 coats of top side paint - all Rustolem marine products. When can I wax the hull and which wax is recommended?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
5200 is an adhesive with sealant properties, not a sealant with adhesive properties like 4200 or 4000. Deck fittings will need to be removed at some time to rebel them, so you are correct that 5200 is not the product to use in this application. For deck fittings, especially through bolted deck fittings Bedit Butyl tape is the sealant of choice.

Generally paints are not waxed. Waxes almost always have a mild abrasive which will dull the paint surface. Are you going to keep this boat in the water or on a trailer? Topsides paints are generally for use above the waterline as they can not withstand long periods of being immersed.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
What dlochner said above. I have bought so many tubes of 5200, over the years, thinking I would one day need it. And every single one I've had to throw away because they hardened in the tube unopened. I still haven't found a use for that stuff on a boat.