Anybody know if there's a master "reset" for a Raymarine ST4000+ autohelm?

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
I already have the user, service and installation manuals. I can see the default values on the Dealer setup page. Is that it? Just set them all to those and it's "reset" or is there a reset mode somewhere I can't find?

Also, I've heard switching from wheel to tiller and back to wheel resets something also?

I just replaced my old dead one with a used one from another boater here. I put in the settings that I know about, the "Catalina Cocktail", but it still steers like a drunk pirate. Also, the compass needs to be recalibrated, and I haven't done that yet.
I just want to make sure it's really reset.
Thanks.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
The reset is a credit card... As of at least 2014, Raymarine had stopped supporting the ST-4000. That date reflects dialogue from Raymarine in 2014. The support termination could have occurred anytime prior to that date. To be sure, there is NO current support.
You may want to explore the EV-100... Good luck

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I think that in the shop manual, the part that talks about installing a new circuit board is as close to the "reset" as you can get.. The attached is the little dance that I had to do to get the rudder reference transducer to work.. That transducer made a tremendous difference in making the pilot steer correctly.. Sounds like you've already done that one. The other thing I found is that the little push part of the wire connectors can be easily put in so that the spade is not in the connector.. the pilot will work very erratically that way.. :facepalm:

However, automatic transducer detection and rudder bar display won't occur unless enabled in Dealer Setup. This is an undocumented requirement from Raymarine. The setup sequence is as follows...
  1. Install and connect transducer.
  2. Enter Dealer Setup mode by pressing & holding Standby for 14 seconds.
  3. Press +1/-1 simultaneously to get Cal Lock screen.
  4. Press Disp to get Pilot Type screen.
  5. Use +1/-1 to change type to a different pilot type, any type.
  6. Press Standby for two seconds to save setting and exit Dealer Setup.
  7. Repeat Dealer Setup mode, change back to correct pilot type (wheel or tiller,) exit Dealer Setup.
  8. Enter User Setup mode by pressing & holding Standby for 2 seconds.
  9. Press Disp five times to change to the Bar Selection screen.
  10. Press +1/-1 to select "Rudd Bar" or "Steer Bar".
  11. Press Standby for two seconds to save setting and exit User Setup.
  12. Power down and back up.
  13. Rudder reference transducer should now be detected and displayed on the screen

• Helpful
Jun 2, 2014
first, I have not done any of that. I am not even sure there’s a rudder transducer. I’m going over to the boat in a little while.
but you did give me an idea that the person I got the used head unit from might have had a different setup and therefore I really do need need to get it reset as much as possible.
I thought I only had the compass, but there are wires in the sea talk connector. I’llcheck they’re actually connected to anything.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Calibrating/syncing the autopilot compass and controller is essential to the system working properly, regardless of presence or absence of a rudder transducer. Without syncing the compass & controller, the pilot will not track properly at all. Have to take the boat out and do figure 8's and large diameter circles to calibrate/sync. (see instruction manual on how to calibrate) Also need to verify that the compass is operational. Tweaking the settings on the controller will refine the operation; however, first things first...you must go through the calibration exercise while underway.

Jun 2, 2014
Yep. I’m well aware of that. I just also want to make sure that any other settings are cleared out.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Itrespective of a rudder reference, which is -not- a standard part, if its asking you for a compass calibration, then it is accurate to state that its not gonna work properly intil thats done. A lot of times, changing the config will cause this to be needed.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Ok all, I have done the entire procedure and most of the manuals are WRONG!

I found out it depends your boats Autohelm Display and its buttons.:facepalm:

To answer @jonelli question , I must see a picture of his display and buttons.

But I personally had to combine my display, some guess work, and 3 manuals to finally get to the...

Dealer Calibration Mode

But yes there is a Factory Default Reset by pushing display buttons.:clap:

Thank goodness it defaults to a Sailboat, that reduces the pain of reprogramming.
[There is a reprogramming data sheet to have filled out for your boat]

You must be at berth to do this, since rudder angle reset might swing you wildly.
_______
The rest of the Calibrations are done in the "Sea Trials" mode.

Many of you mentioned things correctly about the Flux Compass and deviations in this thread when in..

Sea Trials Mode

I did this to finally find, that I need to clean or buy a new Rotary Drive Unit. Cleaning $150, new unit, of course, 10 X at $1500.

If you can send me a picture of your Autohelm Display, I can talk you through the rest, I think.

Jim...

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
But I personally had to combine my display, some guess work, and 3 manuals to finally get to the...
Jim...
Damned shame that Raymarine cant publish clear & concise manuals for installation & operation of their products.
Recently completed installation of an EV-100 wheel pilot; it took more time reading manuals and researching archives & forums than it took to install it. Lots of trial & error to finally get the thing working!

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina

I found out it depends your boats Autohelm Display and its buttons.:facepalm:
There is nothing rocket science about this statement and you shouldn't be shocked by it. The display only deals with what code it is running, and different versions of Lighthouse (if its that new) contain different features.

Jun 2, 2014
I’ve figured out that there are two different manuals with slightly different info.
but I have no issues going into the dealer and user setups.
I don’t have a rudder sensor, and I also don’t have a menu option for dockside which is supposed to set the rudder range limit I think.
No biggie though. I think I’ve got all the defaults where they should be now and just need to take it out for the deviation calibration.

Jun 2, 2014
I was able to run out this morning and do the calibration. it came up with 0 degrees of deviation, it had 14 in it before I started. Took two circles to make it happy. I put in the "Catalina Cocktail Settings" and defaulted everything else. Not sure if it matters with no other sensors, but I set the Lattitude to 33.

Jun 2, 2014
Took it out for a real sail last weekend. Autopirate seems to be sober now, and 180 degrees seems to correlate as expected. And he even drives pretty good in 20knts of wind heeled over.
I'm happy again.
NoClew.jpg