Ray Marine ST-4000 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2005
- - Punta Gorda, FL
I bought a Hunter 31 in August. The ST-4000 was doing a great job. BUT it just recently it seems to have lost it's brain. I set it on course and engage the latch on the wheel. I push the Auto button and then it sits there for a moment. It will start t stray off course then the alarm sounds. At that point it, sometimes, tries to put itself on course with a big turn. It over shoots and then starts to make the familiar small movements like it thinks it's on course. Seems to be trying, but no cigar. Any ideas for me. Thanks in advance. I miss my AP.

M

Mark Z

Reset...

You might try resetting the unit. You can do this by switching from Wheel(Whl) to Tiller and back to Wheel(Whl). You have to make that change from within 'Dealer Setup'. Resetting the unit will return all settings to the factory defaults, so if you've made any adjustments you'll have to re-enter them.

Jan 3, 2005
- - Punta Gorda, FL
How do I get to "Dealer Setup" Mode?

How do I get to "Dealer Setup" mode? Thanks for your help. I'd like to give this a shot before I look into R&R.

T

tom

I had the same problem

I had the same problem with my autopilot. I thought the fluxgate sensor was out, but it turned out to be the computer. I sent it back and they replaced it. Their tech support was pretty good in helping me diagnose the problem.

M

Mark Z

"Dealer Setup" mode...

Bro, To get into "Dealer Setup" mode press and hold the 'Standby' button for fourteen(14) seconds. This information is in the book, if you have one. I don't have my book in front of me so I'm recalling this from memory. To exit dealer setup you press and hold the 'Standby' button for two(2) seconds. There are many options in "Dealer Setup". You'll need to know how to scroll to the 'Pilot Type' option and also what buttons to use to change the settings(I think it is the -1 and +1). I've attached a link to the users manual. Chapter 7 illustrates the "Dealer Setup" starting at page 105. I've done quite a bit of fumbling around with the setting on mine to get it working properly, so I've become fairly intimate with it. I also confided in Raymarine's tech support. Tom is correct in that they are a lot of help. They will ask you a lot of questions though, and give you a lot of things to test. If you have some information and tests performed prior to contacting support it will save you a few phone calls to them and trips to your boat. I'm sure that tech support will ask you to reset the unit as a last resort prior to sending it to them for repair. That's why I think it would be a good idea to try that first. Let me know if you need any more info.

H

Harvey

I have the same problem with the tridata unit

Will the dealer setup allow me to calibrate a Raymarine Tridata too? Nothing seems to work any ideas?

M

Mark Z

ST-60 Tridata...

Harvey, It’s not clear to me what problem you’re having with the Tridata. It does have a ‘Dealer Calibration’ mode where there is an option to reset the unit to factory defaults. Dealer Calibration does not contain much functionality besides the option to reset to factory defaults. There is also a ‘User Calibration’ mode that allows you to change various options including to set a speed factor to calibrate the speed. To enter User Calibration you press and hold the ‘Depth’ and ‘Speed’ buttons for two seconds. For Dealer Calibration you press and hold the ‘Depth’ and ‘Speed’ buttons for four seconds. Both of these calibration modes are discussed in the users manual. User Calibration begins on page 27 and Dealer Calibration begins on page 39. Below is a link to the manual if you need it.

Jan 18, 2004
Beneteau 321 Houston
ST4000 Problem!

Bro, First, reset everything to factory default. Instructions are in your manual, so I won't go there here. If no success, it could voltage related. Had a similar problem on our boat after adding a GPS unit to Seatalk system. It was resolved simply by running power directly to the AP control unit. Make a temporary run from the panel to the external power supply connection on the back of the control unit to test. Low or erratic voltage to the system will result in strange behaviors that you describe. Next culprit would probably be the fluxgat compass. It is doubtful that it is the control circuitry if it "sometimes" works. Good luck!

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Ray tridata

Harvey, you might make a list of all of your version numbers and talk to Raymarine tech support-when my boat was commissioned, Raymarins spent 2 days sorting out the version numbers to get the tridata to work with the rest of my new (2002)gear! there have been a lot of upward revisions on the raymarine gear and you may need a firmware upgrade or two

Jan 13, 2004
- - saginaw bay, michigan
where is the fluxgate located??

the remote compass is sensitive to metal check and see that there havent been any changes around it. (storing things on the other side of the pannel ect...) or if you have installed speakers near it, (within 3 feet) i had the same problem. it was the new spakers. good luck.

Mark M

Jan 22, 2004
Hunter 356 South Portland
Battery Charge

Check your battery charging system. The autopilot needs a specific voltage 12V+- a volt. The error your describing is the same I dealt with at the end of the year. Next time you sail, try the AP with the engine running, IE alternator charging the battery. If this corrects the problem, your battery(ies) are the culprit, and look at your charging system.

Status
Not open for further replies.