• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

Any Seaward owners here?

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
Macgregor 26S near Vancouver, BC
I'm interested in the Seaward 26RK. I know there are a few Seaward owners over at trailersailor.com but I haven't been able to log in over there for a couple of years now. I'm interested in chatting with anyone who has experience with these boats, especially the 26RK.

Jul 1, 2010
Seaward 25, Catalina 350 Erie, Pa
We have a 96 Seaward 25, though not the 26 you're interested in.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
I've actually considered buying a 25. But I decided that I can afford to spend more than I was originally thinking and can stretch to a 26RK. Might be my last chance in life to have something that nice!

Are you happy with the 25? It seems like a nice boat and probably not that different from the 26 once it's on the water.

Jul 1, 2010
We do like our 25 a lot. I personally prefer the interior of the 25 over the 26 as there's more room without the keel trunk in the way.

That said, the 26 should be able to sail better up wind than the 25 due to the deeper keel, and the 26 should have none of the arch compression issues that plauged some of the 25s.

Jul 1, 2010
I believe the 26 had several iterations / improvements of the keel and rudder over the years, so take that into consideration when shopping. Some of the very early keel bulbs fell off, so do your research.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
Thanks, good tips! I would definitely be looking for one of the earlier years of the 26 because I can't afford a newer one.

How is towing and launching your 25? I see that it sits a little higher on the trailer and I'm wondering how much harder that makes it to launch. I currently have a Macgregor 26 classic that is a breeze to launch. We tow every time we sail so those are important considerations for us.

Jul 1, 2010
It's not as quick as rigging a Mac for launch. When we used ours a lot, we kept it in a slip locally, and trailered it for vacation cruises elsewhere. Unless we could at least plan on a 1 or 2 week trip, I don't think the hassle was worth it, so no, I wouldn't want to launch it for every sail.

Currently, our S25 is in our driveway. We moved to SC last fall and brought it. Haven't used it yet this year (much work to do on the house). Too soon to tell if we're going to keep it for the occasional trip or sell it. We spend the summer sailing our Catalina up on the Great Lakes, so we're not missing out. Just not sure yet how much we'll still use the Seaward.

Concerning towing, figure around 6k+ for towing weight. We tow ours with a Ford Expedition and it tows it fine. Actual launching is no problem on a good launch. We do have to extend the trailer (its built for that).

Last edited:

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
Thanks again, that's great feedback. I plan to buy a pickup truck to tow it with. My current vehicle won't get the job done.

I made my own mast raising system for the Mac that allows me to rig the boat on the water. That was important to me because the boat launches we use are mainly used by power boats and I hated how we were in everybody's way while we rigged. Now we pull up and launch right away, just like a power boat. I would really like to set up the Seaward to be able to do that. I'm a mechanical engineer so I enjoy designing and building that kind of thing.

May 12, 2020
Seaward 26RK Englewood
I'm interested in the Seaward 26RK. I know there are a few Seaward owners over at trailersailor.com but I haven't been able to log in over there for a couple of years now. I'm interested in chatting with anyone who has experience with these boats, especially the 26RK.
I have a 2011 RK and love this boat, have made major mods to turn it into a perfect pocket cruiser,
Can’t say enough good things about the design

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
@Islands : Good to hear! Thanks very much for the feedback.

I'm interested in hearing your experience with mast raising. We expect to tow and launch every time we sail, the way we do with our Mac 26S. Do you tow and launch regularly? How have you found the boat, that way?

May 12, 2020
Seaward 26RK Englewood
I don’t trailer sail my 26, but appreciate that is relatively easy to do with the factory rig. Contact the designer and ask his thoughts about raising mast with boat floating, the boat is exceptionally stable with the board partially down.