Any news of the crew??

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 21, 2006
catalina 25, 30 montauk / manhattan
65 miles offshore, 29' boat, small craft advisory, no working gps, small childeren.. whoa

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
http://bit.ly/W90cyv
this?

seems too short, too calm a voice.

ps: they caught a drunk guy doing this in West Palm beach.
-pretty sure he got 2 years prison and a 40k fine.

Apr 22, 2009
Pearson P-31 Quantico
http://bit.ly/W90cyv
this?

seems too short, too calm a voice.

ps: they caught a drunk guy doing this in West Palm beach.
-pretty sure he got 2 years prison and a 40k fine.

I agree with the too calm, too short. IF I was going out, I would at least try to direct others to my position, ie think I am south or monterey, north of LA, out of land's sighting.

Now, no debris field, no seat cushions, no oil slick, no working GPS???? How far out do you go without that??

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
I agree, everything I have heard makes that little voice in my head question the validity of this call. 60 miles out with the parents of the young cousin d not worried sick? With all the things this guy did NOT tell them in the call, to talk about a cooler and 'life rings' to make a raft? Life vests, cushions, etc. would be more likely something he'd have multiples of....how many of us carry more than one life RING? When I heard that I thought it was something a non sailor might think of as likely on board. There are just too many strange things here, I just don't believe it. Obviously if it is real, I hope they're spotted soon, its hard to imagine a good outcome with small kids. Can't imagine any of this really.

May 4, 2005
right, were is the cousin's mother / family? if its a hoax, lets hope they set an example... prison time.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
If it is a hoax how did the Coast Guard get a fix on the radio signal direction and triangulate it for distance?Are you suggesting someone actually out in those conditions and in that general vicinity called in a hoax? Or did the coast guard make a mistake in determining where the signal originated? Maybe as a way to put the hoaxee off guard while they went to capture the perpetrator?

Aug 27, 2011
Catalina 27 Titusville, FL
There is a theory down here in Florida about the plethora of false calls.

They are purportedly making a fake distress calls in order to draw the CG assets away from an area that is being used for illegal purposes.

Smuggling, scuttling, illegal dumping or fishing etc...

Sucks. It is nothing short of terrorism.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Well in this case if you are trying to distract the CG you would probably give actual coordinates to get them away from where you are.

I'm with jibes you would have to be pretty good to spoof the radio direction finding.

The reality is if they are in that water with survival gear consisting of a life ring and a picnic cooler you survival time won't be measured in days.

I really hope it is a hoax cause otherwise some innocents have likely perished.

May 4, 2005
30 months for hoax in WPB AND 300k in fines (reimbursement for search)

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2006-10-31/news/0610300488_1_blue-sheep-robert-moran-hoax

Man Gets 30 Months In Coast Guard Rescue Hoax

October 31, 2006|By Vanessa Blum Staff Writer

It might have seemed like a harmless prank at the time. But a federal judge in Miami said Robert Moran should have known his bogus mayday call to the U.S. Coast Guard in June would lead people to risk their lives searching for nine people reported lost at sea off Boynton Beach Inlet. U.S. District Judge Joan Lenard sentenced Moran, an out-of-work tow truck driver from Boynton Beach, to 30 months in prison Monday for placing a false distress call. She ordered Moran, 45, to pay the government $347,015 to cover the cost of the two-day search-and-rescue operation launched in response to his June 11 call. Prosecutor Thomas Watts-FitzGerald said the search effort was particularly dangerous because of the darkness and stormy weather conditions. Moran radioed for help just before 11 p.m. and told emergency dispatchers his 33-foot boat, a Grady White called the Blue Sheep, was taking on water, according to the Coast Guard. He said eight other people were aboard, including four children and his wife, who he said was injured. "This is the Blue Sheep, taking on water and sinking," Moran shouted, according to a transcript of the call. At Monday's hearing, Coast Guard Lt. Christopher Douglas said the Coast Guard made no effort then to detect whether the call might be a hoax. "Every call that we receive, regardless of nature, we prosecute to the fullest extent possible," Douglas said. Seas in the search area rose as high as six feet June 12 as Tropical Storm Alberto closed in, he said. Two days later, with no sign of debris and no sightings of the Blue Sheep or its supposed passengers, the Coast Guard suspended its search. An anonymous tipster who recognized the caller's voice from news reports led investigators to Moran, who pleaded guilty Aug. 21 to making a false distress call. Defense lawyer Benjamin Fernandez said Moran was under the influence of alcohol and painkillers at the time and never intended to harm anyone. "This was a crude attempt at a very foolish act that Mr. Moran has great remorse for," Fernandez said, asking for a lighter sentence of 18 to 24 months. Lenard opted for a more severe punishment, siding with prosecutors who said Moran should have known his call would cause Coast Guard personnel and other responders to risk their lives. Prosecutor Watts-FitzGerald did not offer a motive for Moran's hoax but said it was a "calculated effort" to elicit a government response.

Status
Not open for further replies.