Any Laguna 30 owners out there?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@#1sleddog Not sure what you could find about your boat. By now I am guessing you are learning that many of these boats have very similar stuff. Hope you enjoyed your first year. May many more follow.

http://sailboatdata.com/view_builder.asp?builder_id=179

Just curious, what are you considering doing to the boat now that you have sailed her and have few month of "out of water" time ahead.

Apr 1, 2017
Laguna 30 Newburryport
Hi Again,
My big project for the next couple months is to get the boat ready for multi day trips.
The biggest problem I had was bad odors in the cabin. I finally found the source. The previous owner has removed the old electrosan and replaced it with a hdpe holding tank. The lower fitting ( for the pump out ) was weeping. You couldn’t see it at all, but I cut the tank out to add a mascerator pump and it became readily apparent ( I’ll spare you the pics!) . He had propped the tank up on some pine boards to level it and they had become soaked as well. I decided to wait till spring to reinstall the tank and new mascerator/y valve so I can repaint the area.
I installed an inverter and bought a small microwave as well as a cng cylinder for the stove, so I can cook now, but I’m holding off on a grill for now ( wow are they pricey!) .
I washed all of the cushion covers. They came out clean and odor free, but they’re still kind of dated looking. My sewing skills are rudimentary at best, so I’m making slip covers for them for now.
Santa is bringing me a new iPad, it’s not one of the cellular ones, but I like the idea of the separate Bluetooth gps unit anyway. I’m gonna get a waterproof case and mount it on the binnacle for iNavX.
My dad is giving me a really nice fiberglass dinghy. I’ve got to figure out how to hang that on my davits. Not much out there about that - seems just about everyone uses rubber boats, but I’m sure I can put something together.
Finally, I’d like to buy a spinnaker. I’ve been doing wing on wing with a whisker pole,and I’m getting better at it, but I’d like to try the spinnaker. Hoping to get invited out on another boat to see how it works.

Dec 4, 2017
lauguna33 classic 33 wilmington nc
Ive also learned alot about mine its very similar to the 30 as far a layout and everything but they just went added few perks. But the back end def makes this boat for cruising the Caribbean which I hope to be doing here soon.Ive already done front anchor work for the mount, harken jib work the tranny I just rebuild right now im suck in florida. The motor is universal 25xp , working on the prop shaft getting that redone, Also replaced the packing for rudder and ext. and alot more but just to name a few. First sailboat for me so I guess im getting to learn alot :)

Attachments

Apr 1, 2017
Laguna 30 Newburryport
Ive also learned alot about mine its very similar to the 30 as far a layout and everything but they just went added few perks. But the back end def makes this boat for cruising the Caribbean which I hope to be doing here soon.Ive already done front anchor work for the mount, harken jib work the tranny I just rebuild right now im suck in florida. The motor is universal 25xp , working on the prop shaft getting that redone, Also replaced the packing for rudder and ext. and alot more but just to name a few. First sailboat for me so I guess im getting to learn alot :)

Apr 1, 2017
Laguna 30 Newburryport
Nice! I love the steps on the transom.
My 30 has the M18 motor. It could have used the 25. When I’m coming thru the rollers at the mouth of the Merrimack I’d like a few more HP.
Have you looked at the alternator bracket on the 25? I’ve read they’re a weak point on these motors and there is an upgrade available. I haven’t done mine and I have the original bracket. Planning on replacing it this spring along with rewiring the motor. There’s a great website posted about removing the original trailer connectors due to fire hazards. I can confirm they’re definitely underrated for their use.
Your interior looks just like mine. I love all the teak. Super classic look. I’m going to replace the teak and holly sole this spring as soon as I get over the sticker shock of the plywood.
Any suggestions on the rudder packing ? I haven’t checked/replaced it and I probably should.

Apr 10, 2017
Islander 36 Puerto Penasco
Sleddog, Sorry I haven’t paid much attention to the site but the Linda Lee is on the hard and buried under snow. Sailed her up to Port Huron from Detroit. 25 knt winds on the beem and a following sea off the port quarter. What a ride. Here’s a couple pics. It was my nephews first time on a sailboat.
5CB1CF91-B89C-440F-A992-8E7AFAB9C12C.jpeg
1C8AB8E2-7BC6-4BC3-9173-A37E98CCEDB8.jpeg

Apr 1, 2017
Laguna 30 Newburryport
Boat is in the water. Ready for season 2. I still have to finish the waste tank plumbing, but it’s close to being finished. Pulled up the teak and holly plywood sole and filled all the holes with marine Tex. Painted the sole with interlux. Had it tinted almond at the local Sherwin Williams ( Thank You ) . It looks great and will be fine for now.
I had a bit of excitement with the fiberglass tender I got. It’s unstable. I fell into the river almost immediately when launching it. Gave the guys at the dock a scare, and I’m sure I’ll be the brunt of a few jokes, but no harm,no foul. I’m actually glad it happened there. If I was at my mooring it could have been dangerous. Anyway, I pulled it out of the water and I’m going to blow the budget on an inflatable.

How’s everyone else making out ?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
To answer your query, I splashed back in late March. Then went on vacation for a couple of weeks. Got back to the boat the end of April and went for a 150 nm cruise over 4 days. New prop worked great. Pleased with the choice. Now I need a new Mainsail. That is measured and ordered. Hopefully will show up in early July. Still plenty of projects but at least I can go out when the opportunity presents it self.

Moogie

Jun 15, 2018
Laguna 30 Harrison township
Hey guys! You have no idea how happy I was to see this post still going! My dad and I purchased a laguna 30 from st clair shores Michigan last fall!! We keep her on lake st clair still and are really enjoying her.. has anyone every thought of installing a windless? We are toying with the idea..

Attachments

Apr 10, 2017
Hey guys, I splashed the end of April and it was snowing and raining that day. I spent 2 weeks on her in May and now back for another couple of weeks. Just installed a Bimini today. The weather here in Port Huron Michigan is beautiful compared to the 107 degree temps in Az. We are going to try and do some cruising in Lake Huron in July.
C493B94A-9086-438B-9BD4-4C8489F04CCE.jpeg

Apr 1, 2017
Laguna 30 Newburryport
Looking Good! I’m jealous of the slip! My Marina won’t rent slips to sailboats because of the strong currents in the river. Claims it puts too much torque on the dock.
Sailing has been awesome the last couple weeks. 10 knot breezes and 1 foot seas. Went to Isle of Shoals - I’ll post a pic or two when I get a minute.
I bought a zodiac RIB and a 2.3 hp Honda outboard. It was well worth the $$$. Very stable and the motor is plenty powerful enough and only 29 pounds.
The best news is that the waste plumbing is done. No more foul odors ! The addition of the mascerator should be handy when I need it.o

Be Safe and Have Fun.

Apr 10, 2017
Glad your head is working. Thats my next project. Just bought a new one to install. Funny story. The powerboat next to ours to the right. Happens to be a couple also from Tucson Az and summer in Port Huron Michigan also. They only live about 15 miles from us. Small world. What are the odds of two boaters keeping summer boats next to each other that are 2100 miles apart

Apr 1, 2017
Laguna 30 Newburryport
Hope everyone’s summer sailing is going well. I had a month hiatus due to a knee surgery, but all’s well. Got out on Sunday. Another great day on the boat.

Apr 10, 2017
3A352497-F8D6-45FB-A5FE-D8F12FC07FF2.jpeg
EF2AFC9D-9FF5-4749-962B-B27CBC2EE48D.jpeg
Hey Sleddog, Sorry to hear about your knee surgery I wish you a speedy recovery. I have been on the boat about a total of 5 weeks this summer and heading back to her in 2 weeks for another week. I have learned a lot about the currents of the St Clair river. It is super bad as you try to enter Lake Huron under the Blue water Bridge. A local Sheriff gave some good advice to hug the Canadian side as tight as possible because of the currents and that seamed to help. Local knowledge is the best. I have 4 grandkids that live in the area and I think that my daughter and middle granddaughter are going to be the sailors. Here’s a couple pics of a day we went out with just the headsail. Not much wind but it was easier for them to get the feel.

Apr 1, 2017
Laguna 30 Newburryport
Nice ! It’s great you’ve had so much time to enjoy your boat ! I’ll be out this weekend for sure.
The knee is excellent - it feels like new. Thanks for the thoughts.
I’ll post some pics as soon as I upload them.
Have you heard from any other Laguna 30 owners?

Moogie

Jun 15, 2018
Hey guys!! We had a great first season on the boat. Put a few miles on the hull, stayed the night behind metro beach.. figured out what we need to change for next season.. first things first, VC17... already bought lol.. wound up with growth and it really slowed us down until we went out in 6 footers with 20 knots of wind.. knocked most of it off the old blue antifouling. Really looking forward to next season

Moogie

Jun 15, 2018
Tripometer from this season, I'll try and find a picture of us flying the drifter for u guys... great sail for the boat, but we want to pick up and a semeteical or code d in the future

Attachments

Apr 1, 2017
Laguna 30 Newburryport
Hi again,
Been a busy winter, but sailing season is coming!
First the bad - I couldn’t take my jib down last fall before a work trip to Cali due to it being too windy that day. Damn thing unfurled cause a cam cleat broke on the roller fuller line. Jib tore before the guys at the marina could secure it for me.
The good news - I bought a brand new Genoa - 140%. Looking forward to that and the new mainsail this summer. Jib is repairable, so it’s at the sail loft - it’ll be a good backup.
I also got a slip for the upcoming season. A bit more $$$ but I’m looking forward to unlimited electricity and not having to go to the mooring in the zodiac in the high current of the Merrimack river.