Any Idea What This Is?

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
Hunter 376 0 Washburn, WI on Lake Superior
Hi all,

I'm going through our pictures that we took of our new (to us) boat after we closed last weekend (it's currently winterized in Michigan, we're in Minnesota). I snapped a picture of this, but forgot to ask the seller what exactly it is/does. This is mounted in the rear port side locker under the cockpit seat. The boat is a Hunter 376, but I don't think this was OEM. At first I thought it was a part of the manual bilge system (the pump is mounted to the wall to the left), but upon second look it wouldn't make sense that the manual bilge pump would have wiring (or maybe it does?)

I'm pretty sure this board is screwed down, so I don't believe it is something that's removed for it's intended function.

Does this device look familiar to anyone?

Thanks!

Attachments

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
It looks like the ram for a below-deck auto pilot. There should be an arm coming out of the left side connected to a tiller arm on the rudder post.

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
Indeed. I missed that it didn't have the ring on the wheel for the wheel drive. Something new to learn about. Thanks, everyone!

Jan 23, 2021
beneteau 323 Corpus Christi marina
You’ll have a grand time sailing her around the Apostle Islands! (Did that for many summers decades ago, beautiful area.)

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
The Apostles are great! We've had fun over the years with our Catalina 30, were excited for some longer trips in the 376. Maybe even make our way over to Isle Royale for a week or two.

The only compromise up here is that the season is so dang short.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I snapped a picture
Did you notice you suction cup, stick on dingy,...

Stern Light

On the top of you picture?;)
Jim...

PS: I have the same type, plus the Green/Red Running Light too.:)

May 25, 2004
Catalina 400 mkII Harbor
you may want to get the autopilot fixed before you embark on that journey!
this guy is based in new buffalo about 20 minutes away from benton harbor

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
From what I understand the autopilot works just fine (PO said that the compass heading vs. autopilot indicated heading is off by about 10 degrees, but that doesn't worry me too much as I anticipate our trip mostly being "point the bow and turn it on.")

But, if we find different, it will definitely be something to fix before we leave. 700 miles is a long ways to hand steer a boat. I'll keep Rob in mind.

We sailed our Catalina sans autopilot for the first few years, I added an EV100 package last season, it makes SO much difference. But, of course, that was wheel drive, hence my lack of familiarity with the linear drive hardware.

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
When I said I "missed" that I meant that I assumed that it was a wheel drive system and it didn't stick in my mind that there was no drive attached to the wheel--meaning that I should have realized that there was other hardware.

As we were looking at boats to purchase we looked at multiple over the course of one trip. Some of the details blended together...

That, of course, is the down side of only getting to spend a few hours on a boat before deciding whether it's one upon which you want to make an offer.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
compass heading vs. autopilot indicated heading is off by about 10 degrees
There is an easy calibration procedure. It looks like Raymarine Drive.
Check the manual on the model for procedure. You can do it at berth.

Jim...