Any Bristol 40 owners?

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 30 Newport, RI
I am shopping for one. I am going to list my C30 this Summer and see what happens...

I would love to hear your impressions so far and what to look for. I want to do some cruising around New England.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
a best friend has one. we sail side by side all the time. love the boat. his is a cutter rig. another close friend had one and moved up to maine with it, a yawl. both owners love their boats.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I am shopping for one. I am going to list my C30 this Summer and see what happens...

I would love to hear your impressions so far and what to look for. I want to do some cruising around New England.
Only thing I can pass along is they are initially tender so you will find yourself going to windward with the leeward rail in or close to the water. Then they stiffen up. I had two friends who owned them. One was a pretty yawl, well kept up. The other was a sloop not so well kept up. The yawl had a Westerbeke engine and the sloop had a Volvo - not so good.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Here's a Bristol 40 owner having his mast stepped in Rockport Harbor, Maine. There were 149 of these Ted Hood designed beauties built between 1970 and 1986.
Moon Path Bristol 40 2.jpg

Still popular and holding their value, this classic plastic with a long keel and prop in aperture is a popular boat on our coast that can be a cats cradle of lobster buoys and warp.

MOON PATH has shapely teak veneer decks. Looks broad from this angle but in fact the B-40 has a 10'6" beam.

Moon Path stern crop.jpg

Moon Path Bristol 40 1.jpg

MOON PATH was cast off a few second later and tied to our free public docks for a few hours for the owner to install boom and bend on sails. Arriving from winter storage inland (a few miles) on a hydraulic trailer a few hours before, she's now launched, stepped and ready for the season.

Total cost (trailer/mast stepping), would likely be no more than $500 for the DIY owner.