Another What is It?

May 23, 2023
Catalina C-22 Yard
As I continue to work on my Cat-22, I have another device I can't identify. Can someone tell me what this is and what it's use is? This is in the bow just behind the nav light.

Thanks.

Attachments

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
It should lead into a chain locker, not the cabin, no?

May 23, 2023
Catalina C-22 Yard
In the V-Berth, there is a bulk head panel right in the nose creating a small locker area. However, this panel has a large access hole and no door. So the PO probably added the screen. The deck pipe leads into this area. This locker looks pretty clean like it has never been used for holding wet anchor chain.

May 23, 2023
Catalina C-22 Yard
Thank you! This will now be put back to proper use. Once I buy a new anchor and rode setup. I was wondering what to do with 150 feet of rope and chain.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
You will not be able to stuff a rope down there. Usually a rope rode is laid into an open locker with a hinged cover.

• Helpful
May 23, 2023
Catalina C-22 Yard
Hmm, good point. Rope wouldn't have the weight nor consistency of chain to self lay in a small locker like that. Probably why it was never used. Before this, I was thinking of a canvas bag tied to the pulpit or just carry to a cockpit locker. What do other C-22 owners do?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
That is a deck pipe, typically for an anchor chain or rode, 'though yours looks turned around, and the screen is - I don't know what for.
It probably is in the correct orientation, as there may be a cleat or a windlass aft of the opening. Facing the bow, it becomes a water scoop.

-Will

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Yep orientation is right, too avoid green watering the chain locker and or v berth area. These things are rarely if ever watertight by design.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I have one installed on the coaming of the cockpit that leads into the lazzerette. Probably installed by the PO to access rode for an aft anchor. Never thought about bugs, (wasps) getting in there. Now I have to go find a piece of screening. Sheesh! Like I don't already have enough to worry about. :facepalm:

May 23, 2023
Catalina C-22 Yard
Hey Will. I checked after your comment and see that there are several screws several inches aft of this device. I will bet it was for a windlass. I was wondering what used to be mounted there. Now I have more holes to fill...

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Hey Will. I checked after your comment and see that there are several screws several inches aft of this device. I will bet it was for a windlass. I was wondering what used to be mounted there. Now I have more holes to fill...
Likely a deck cleat for the rode. I have never seen a windless installed on a C22 as there just too small to need one.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Windless aft of hawsepipe also not logical unless you are hoisting anchor at side of bow instead of end of it.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I'm sorry to disagree, Jacktar. I've seen plenty of examples where the windlass was located aft of the anchor locker. However, a windlass on a C22 is a little overkill, unless the captain is getting older and doesn't want to struggle with hand pulling a 14 - 18lb anchor, plus chain, any more. All chain rode for a C22 is also a bit overkill, but peace of mind is worth a lot, so is trimming by the bow when that is needed, and more compact stowage.

-Will

May 23, 2023
Catalina C-22 Yard
Just to be sure, I went back to boat to look at the screw pattern and location. Please see photo. As you can see, this is just forward of the mast on top of the cabin. I don't think this is for a windlass. Can't think of what it is for.

Attachments