(Another newbie question) My keel sounds like a haunted house.

May 13, 2016
Catalina 22 MK II 15377 Granbury Texas
This question sounds so silly, or elementary, that I didn't want to actually put it out on the forum. I have no problems with the fact that I'm a novice, but some things are probably really simple and I don't want to ask a stupid question.....but here one comes...

There is a "Whirling" sound coming from under the boat while sailing. It sounds like an old door creaking in a haunted house… lol... I would understand if it made a sound while raising or lowering it, but the sound is while sailing.

SIDE-BAR (I did my training on a J-22. The first Catalina I ever stepped foot on was while shopping for the one I bought. I bought the Cat-22 based on research and recommendations from trusted friends.
I was advised to sail with people before buying a boat but that wasn't really an option for me. If I wanted experience, I had to have a boat that I could access that was closer than two hours away. The money wasn't an issue. I figure if I take care of it, I can get most of it back when I move up.....but I digress.)

IS MY BOAT HAUNTED?.......
Just kidding, What is that sound?
Is it anything to worry about?
Do I need to do anything about it?
Thanks
TGM

PTMike

Feb 12, 2015
Catalina, Vagabond 22, 14 Howard Prarie Lake
This question sounds so silly, or elementary, that I didn't want to actually put it out on the forum. I have no problems with the fact that I'm a novice, but some things are probably really simple and I don't want to ask a stupid question.....but here one comes...

There is a "Whirling" sound coming from under the boat while sailing. It sounds like an old door creaking in a haunted house… lol... I would understand if it made a sound while raising or lowering it, but the sound is while sailing.

SIDE-BAR (I did my training on a J-22. The first Catalina I ever stepped foot on was while shopping for the one I bought. I bought the Cat-22 based on research and recommendations from trusted friends.
I was advised to sail with people before buying a boat but that wasn't really an option for me. If I wanted experience, I had to have a boat that I could access that was closer than two hours away. The money wasn't an issue. I figure if I take care of it, I can get most of it back when I move up.....but I digress.)

IS MY BOAT HAUNTED?.......
Just kidding, What is that sound?
Is it anything to worry about?
Do I need to do anything about it?
Thanks
TGM

PTMike

Feb 12, 2015
Catalina, Vagabond 22, 14 Howard Prarie Lake
This sound seems to eminate from the swing keel cable and is rectified be tightening the keel bolt and /or one half turn of the cable, either way begnign. Enjoy the speed !

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
It's a good sound as already said of a tight keel cable vibrating as you're going through the water. If you know you are in deep water with no chance of grounding, loosen it a little to eliminate the "keel hum". But, it will help protect your boat. If the keel cable is loose, there is a stabilizing portion of the keel that is up in the keel trunk. The back of the cast iron keel is resting on the back fiberglass portion of the keel trunk. If you hit something under the water and the keel rode up over it, depending on how quickly the keel returned, it can hit and damage this portion of the keel trunk. My advice.....keep the keel cable tight and enjoy the hum....it's like music to your ears knowing your boat is moving alone nicely!

Don

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
I've often thought about rigging up a pulley on a rope that would pull the cable up to right behind the keel (maybe into a slot). Not only does the cable make a weird noise, it slows you down. I've never heard of the cable being part of the "keel stability" system...

druid

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
As Don has stated if the keel drops after riding up over something the high part of the keel trunk in a very small area will get all of the force. A friend had that happen on a Balboa 26 in which the keel rode up over a stump while motoring and the weight cracked the keel trunk to where the boat was taking on water enough to bale the bilge before reaching his trailer 6 miles away.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
I always tell folks that go out with me the boat is "singing along", when you hear that noise, the boat is happy.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Learn to love the Catalina hum, like a ten penny nail getting hit with a greasy ballpeen hammer' cheapest speedometer yu can buy.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
The rope pendant for my centerboard on my O'day 25 will sing when it is taught. Last week Admiral asked me why we were sailing with the motor running and it sounded like it had a miss in the engine.
Yep, boats can make sounds and definitely not a stupid question.

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
When I had my Sirius 21 it had a bolt you could slide through the trunk and keel to keep it in place. Then you could losses the keel cable another turn to stop the humm. No worries about hitting anything and the keel riding up and dropping on the trunk.