Another New Project That might be of Interest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
I always wanted the raw water pump face plate to face forwards. There is a kit to do this but I didn't want to pay what they wanted and it made the pump stick to far forward.
I came up with this idea since my boat is on the hard for the winter and I'm having boat withdrawal symptoms.

I have a 3GM30f Yanmar engine.

I used the Raw Water Pump bracket from a 3YM30 Yanmar ($55).

It won't fit as is, but with one modification it will.

I also used the existing bracket with no modifications so if this doesn't work it will be real easy to swap back to the existing configuration.

So, I flipped the pulley, added a couple of spacers, drilled and tapped a hole in the new bracket, assembled everything and Voilà!

I should be able to use the existing hoses.

All I needed to do was maintain the 1 " dimension from the back of the mounting plate to the center line of the pulley. This was the original dimension.

See photographs for a better idea.

Update: added part number for bracket: part #128990-42151

Attachments

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Let us know if it works. Nice to be able to change the impeller without spilling a lot of blood.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Are you now going to be running the pump in reverse, or are you mounting it on the opposite side of the engine?
I never really looked at the inside of a pump to see if rotation direction made any difference, but it seems logical that it might.

Apr 27, 2010
DougM

You rotate the pump on the bracket so that the existing inlet is the new discharge and visa versa, the rotation is still the same.

Here is a picture with the cover off and the rotation shown.

Attachments

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2011
It looks to me like the impeller will be rotating in the opposite direction. But because of the design of the pump, whether it is rotating clockwise or counter-clockwise should make no difference...

Apr 27, 2010
Rotation makes a difference. The impeller has to rotate so the path of water travels along the "long" side of the pump. Otherwise it won't work.

Attached is a photo of the 3ym30.

Rotation of engine is clockwise just like the 3gm30

PS: @Heritage , I see what you mean.

Attachments

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
Beneteau B393 Norfolk
I don't have this engine, but am following your thread. Do you have a "before" picture? Of the pump installed on the engine?

Apr 27, 2010
I might go down to the boat tomorrow and install the pump. It's supposed to warm up to a nice balmy 6 degrees C.:dance:

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I still think that regardless of how you place the inlet, by turning the entire pump so that the sheave is on the opposite side, the pump will be rotsting in the opposite direction. You would have to mount the entire pump on the right side of the engine rather than the left in order to keep the proper direction of rotation.

You might still be right if the interior of the pump is perfectly symetrical, and it would not make a difference, just be sure you install a new impeller because the blades will have taken a "set" in the wrong direction for your new installation.

Apr 22, 2011

As you can see on the 30gm pump the cam is actually a part of the pump housing (not removable as on the Jabsco pumps). Because the shape of the cam (bump out) is symmetrical, regardless of the direction of rotation, the pump will.... pump. But what was the outlet pipe will now be the inlet pipe.

Apr 27, 2010
That's correct Heritage. In principle it will work but I need to see if the assembly will fit in the allowed space and if the belt size is still correct.

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
joker460 said:
I always wanted the raw water pump face plate to face forwards. There is a kit to do this but I didn't want to pay what they wanted and it made the pump stick to far forward.
I came up with this idea since my boat is on the hard for the winter and I'm having boat withdrawal symptoms.

I have a 3GM30f Yanmar engine.

I used the Raw Water Pump bracket from a 3YM30 Yanmar ($55).

It won't fit as is, but with one modification it will.

I also used the existing bracket with no modifications so if this doesn't work it will be real easy to swap back to the existing configuration.

So, I flipped the pulley, added a couple of spacers, drilled and tapped a hole in the new bracket, assembled everything and Voilà!

I should be able to use the existing hoses.

All I needed to do was maintain the 1 " dimension from the back of the mounting plate to the center line of the pulley. This was the original dimension.

See photographs for a better idea.
Smart thinking very cool... So I have the same motor and water pump. Next question how much you charging for your new conversion kit in your new business venture?

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2010
As promised here are the pictures of the pump installed.

A couple of issues.

1.) the belt is a bit too long. Need to look at the 3Ym30 belt length.
2.) need to shorten the infeed hose and lengthen the discharge hose. Only a few inches.

Other than that it looks like it will work.:dance:

Update: The 3YM30 belt is the same size as the 3GM30 belt. Need to look for something smaller

Update1: Looks like a 3L180 or 3L170 belt may work. They are on order for $5

Attachments

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2010
@James Simmonds

I've been testing the speed seal. Installed it in 2010. The impeller is now 2 years old. I examine it twice a year. There is no noticeable wear, no cracked vanes. I may push the test to 3 years. Wouldn't try it any longer. I have spare impellers onboard just in case.

Apr 27, 2010
Just a follow-up to the installation.

It works great, so no more removing the whole pump assembly to access the impeller.

You need to have the space shown ahead of the engine to make this work.

If you try it, good luck:dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.