Annapolis Boat Show reactions

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
"I'd have to say that the new 315 does not impress at all "
I agree. I really like the Catalina 355 and 425.

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
The land mass surrounding the Chesapeake is actually subsiding at a faster rate than the water level is truly rising. In my opinion , the fake news is the discussion that fails to distinguish the difference, which often leads to blaming global warming for "sea level rise". I've found that writers often conflate land subsidence with sea level rise and don't recognize any distinction because the result is the same thing … local flooding. Perhaps conflating the two separate issues is purposeful?

Geologists know that the land mass surrounding the Chesapeake was located in the "forebulge" that resulted from the weight of glaciers during the ice age for a hundred thousand years, ending about 12 thousand years ago. The glaciers that once covered the area just to the north of the Chesapeake compressed the Earth's crust and caused a forebulge out in front of the ice-covered northland. The forebulge has been subsiding ever since the glaciers disappeared and will continue to subside for hundreds, if not thousands, of years. But then again, I suppose "global warming" actually is responsible for these flooding occurrences after all!

BTW, the same thing is happening surrounding the Great Lakes as the southern regions, including Chicago, are sinking while the northern areas are rebounding.

Annapolis is going to continue to sink and the water is also going to rise while we squabble over an issue that we're not going to make go away. I suggest that the city should adapt by relocating. I'd bet that there were once some wetlands that have been paved over. Perhaps the city should reclaim the wetlands?
Wow! So Miami is sinking and Charleston is sinking and the Outer Banks are sinking and.....

What about the sailboat show?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Question..So, is the Annapolis boat show really worth seeing for a guy in the PNW? We have the Seattle and Vancouver show...
Mark, I met up with @jssailem and @LeslieTroyer last for the winter cruise in Vancouver, timing it so we could go to that boat show.
Having seen both Vancouver and Annapolis I would say yes, Annapolis is definitely a boat show to see. Vancouver show was a disappointment on the heels of the Annapolis show.
John and Les flew into in for the Annapolis show last year so maybe they can comment.

Then there is the atmosphere. From the quaintness and history of Annapolis to walking on floating docks while looking at boats and all the big tents, banners waving in the breeze, all the big name companies. It has a good mix of manufacturer reps, wholesalers and retailers.

Anyway, as Scott said, I don't care to go through the new boats but I agree with the others, the bigger the boat the more ridicules the designs are. I think that on some the sails are only there so they can be called a sailboat.

I really enjoyed the show and got a lot of good information from the booths I visited. As someone said in the Annapolis Revisted thread, to get a deal you have to research what you're buying. Several things I was looking for were cheaper at Defender with their show prices. Also keep in mind that except for small items and clothing, most venders don't carry stock at the show. You can order and have it delivered.

I did manage to buy a Standard Horizon GX6000 radio, SpyderCo Pacific Salt knife and a couple of shirts.
I loved how this one tied into Woodstocks 50th to the Sailboats show 50th.
Annap50.jpeg

DonRS

Oct 23, 2018
Catalina 30 Annapolis
My wife and I quit going to the Fall show. The crowds are just way too big for us and we are not into the big money sailing scene. We do the Spring show but when push comes to shove, we rather research on the internet, take sailing classes and spend the time on our boat.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thanks for the recognition @Ward H, I did fly out to Annapolis at the suggestion of @LeslieTroyer. It was a great suggestion and experience for me.

I lived a year near Annapolis back in the early 70’s. It was a surprise to see all the changes. The show was a great presentation of the upper end of yachts and trends. The booths were all oriented to sailing where the two west coast shows are blended power and sailing. The Annapolis show has things to share with all levels of sailing. Had a fun time sitting in the Beneteau First boat talking sailing instruction learning how the style has changed yet the concepts have endured. Or exploring the varnished quality of the beyond my budget sailboats.

Then there was the meeting and stories shared with the SBO members we met.

The Annapolis show deserves a place on a sailor’s bucket list.

Oct 6, 2018
Watkins 25 Seawolf Dunnellon / Crystal River
My wife and I were there on Thursday and Friday. Thursday was a blast. There were a lot of people, but we walked through most of the tents and visited most of the venders we wanted to see. Friday was too busy and the flooding took us by surprise. I'm surprised they didn't seem prepared to deal with it.

We purchased a sail rite sewing machine, and a Vyacht wifi gateway. I found the parts I need to repair my Edson pedistal. We decided that the Standard Horizon GX6000 and a Nature's Head will be purchased...some day in the future, and have lots of literature to read over. It was nice to be able to put my hands on what, up to now have only read about.

I agree with the consensus about to new boats. Dual helm looks nice in photos, but being there, I didn't really like any of them.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
"I'd have to say that the new 315 does not impress at all "
I agree. I really like the Catalina 355 and 425.
I was looking at the Catalinas and was surprised (and happy) to see that the quality and finish level seemed significantly better than the European competition.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I was looking at the Catalinas and was surprised (and happy) to see that the quality and finish level seemed significantly better than the European competition.
What manufacturers and models did you compare for this observation? We didn't make the show but love the Jeanneoa 440 we saw this year.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
flooding events today, due to sea level rise.
Recent IPCC reports, for what they’re worth, about the rise in sea levels, conclude, “The 20th-century average is about 1.7 millimeters per year; since 1993 the average rate has nearly doubled — to about 3.2 millimeters per year....The rate of sea level rise has mysteriously slowed down in the most recent decade.” (That's millimeters!)
Doesn't sound like a likely cause of Annapolis flooding to me. :rolleyes:

Jun 14, 2010
What manufacturers and models did you compare for this observation? We didn't make the show but love the Jeanneoa 440 we saw this year.
I looked at all of them in the 40-45 ft range. I was focused on ICW-friendly mast heights with 5 feet draft. If I recall, the Jeanneau 410 was one of those boats that has the throttle below knee level. But my mind is a blur from all the boats we looked at.

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Recent IPCC reports, for what they’re worth, about the rise in sea levels, conclude, “The 20th-century average is about 1.7 millimeters per year; since 1993 the average rate has nearly doubled — to about 3.2 millimeters per year....The rate of sea level rise has mysteriously slowed down in the most recent decade.” (That's millimeters!)
Yeah, and this...flooding days per year....

1571098867821.jpeg

Jun 14, 2010
Interesting. So the ground must be sinking faster than the sea is rising. But NOAA says the rate is increasing in recent years (not slowing). Is sea level rising?

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
I looked at all of them in the 40-45 ft range. I was focused on ICW-friendly mast heights with 5 feet draft. If I recall, the Jeanneau 410 was one of those boats that has the throttle below knee level. But my mind is a blur from all the boats we looked at.
It is nearly silly to have a throttle lower than what the helmsman can control while standing up. That might be OK on a race boat where the only concern is getting in and out of the slip.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
This is a case where you can actually put some numbers on what is happening. The Southern Chessapeake is in fact sinking . https://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/1392/pdf/circ1392.pdf Its a local thing.. maybe why the "fake media" doesnt mention this every time sea level rise is talked about.

Satellites have also been measuring sea level rise since 1993 (and the slope has increased recently.. not decreased) Sea Level | NASA Global Climate Change Satellite measured sea level change would of course not have the possible error of a tidal measurement if the land is sinking.

So.. since 1993 to May of 2019, the satellite measured sea level rise has been 94.4 mm. That is ONLY 3.71 inches.

In the same 26 year time period, areas mostly in the southern Chesapeake (dont know about Annapolis specifically, could not find this) are sinking at rates of for example 3 mm per year. So in that 26 year period, the land might have sunk by 78 mm. But that is only just a hair over 3 inches.

On land in that area, you would see the combination of sea level rise and the land sinking so the total apparent rise in sea level would be 3.71 inches plus 3 inches = 6.71 inches.

So.. we are only talking maybe a half a foot in 26 years and that would be local to the Southern Chesapeake. I dont think that area normally has very large tides.. a few feet?

fyi, i posted links to back everything up so that you know where any info came from.

Last edited:

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Right! So a region with two feet tidal changes undergoes a half foot water level rise and you get a lot more flooding! Get it?

Add to that increased water temperature and air temperature and more water in the atmosphere gives you more extreme storms.

Does every thread mentioning weather result in political nonsense?

Crap, start a “I love the Clown-in-Chief” thread if you want to. Just don’t drag all the others into it.

What about the sailboat show?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
The show happened to coincide with the full moon and a few days of strong NE winds due to Melisa being offshore. Coastal flooding alerts said the combination would cause tides 2 to 2.5’ above normal high tides.

I’m guessing that the show organizers were probably aware of the full moon but did not anticipate the affect of the strong NE winds.

Nov 10, 2009
Hunter 410 Rock Hall, MD
I have lost interest in the show for seeing boats. The lines are too long and I absolutely object to removing my shoes. (They could use door mats or sticky mats used in clean rooms but taking off shoes seems to be patently unsafe, not to mention uncomfortable.) Over the years that I did attend, I made some useful contacts in the charter industry...and left my captain's credentials with a few companies as well! ;) For three or 4 years, I was presenting seminars at the spring show on cruising the Chesapeake, Rules of the Road, and getting a Captain's license.

I am a boat owner and I love my 1998 Hunter 410 but I also love chartering. I do an overseas an charter once every year. I put them on sale 20 months before our departure date and my trips sell out in less than a week. Chartering lets us see other parts of the world and I get to play with boats I could not afford to purchase. That makes it a win-win situation.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
When I bought my B323 13 years ago, I stopped going on boats at the show. I just went for the retailers and bargains- Sailrite in particular. Now, I'm not enthused enough to go to the show even though I live a mile away. Annapolis flooding is a normal thing here. Hurricane Isabela was about 26 inches deeper than last Saturday, so dock boxes were flooded. We had to drill holes in the bottoms to let water OUT. In the paper since the Saturday flood, there have been stories and letters to the editor with differening points of view. One, was that maybe they should move the Naval Academy elsewhere. The basements of the present buildings are loaded with electronics and history. Hurricane Isabela's flooding and last weekend were a warning that "the times, they are a-changing".

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
I have lost interest in the show for seeing boats. The lines are too long and I absolutely object to removing my shoes. (They could use door mats or sticky mats used in clean rooms but taking off shoes seems to be patently unsafe, not to mention uncomfortable.) Over the years that I did attend, I made some useful contacts in the charter industry...and left my captain's credentials with a few companies as well! ;) For three or 4 years, I was presenting seminars at the spring show on cruising the Chesapeake, Rules of the Road, and getting a Captain's license.

I am a boat owner and I love my 1998 Hunter 410 but I also love chartering. I do an overseas an charter once every year. I put them on sale 20 months before our departure date and my trips sell out in less than a week. Chartering lets us see other parts of the world and I get to play with boats I could not afford to purchase. That makes it a win-win situation.
I agree that removing the shoes is nonsense. Even if a few people have shoes which leave scuff marks, aren't the boats going to be thoroughly cleaned before a sale?

You run a charter? Cool! I may look into that......