Annapolis Boat Show reactions

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
In my opinion, the Annapolis show is one of the best in the U.S. You have other good shows, but this is all sail and not power too and so for those wanting sailboats and related gear, it is the best. Too bad about the flooding. Global Warming? Not. It was due to the storms off shore, the direction of the winds pushing water into the bay, the full moon and pressure. And, hi tide didn't help any either. In the many years I have attended the show (since the mid-70's), I have only seen this once before and it wasn't early as bad. Of course hurricane Isabel in 2003 raised havoc, but most of the town recovered and were open to show goers by showtime. Saturday this year was busy, probably because more people were off work and the weather was the nicest. It rained on and off Sunday. Friday was a work day and not quite as nice as Saturday weather wise, but pretty good. There were no flooding problems on Saturday or Sunday or Monday. Mostly on Thursday and then to a greater degree on Friday where they closed the show early due to high water and the risk of electrical cords about. It reopened the next day. Workers of the show were busy as during the over night and into Friday, they were installing more walkways so people could get around better and to some of the booths that were obliterated by water along Eagle Alley. Of course booths inside tents were not affected and walking to boats in the water was no problem either. Then on Friday night, the workers were removing the additional walkways as the water had receded and were no longer needed. They were not getting much sleep I fear and did a great job under the unexpected conditions. Annapolis is a great town to visit anytime of year, but the show is even better. There also is a powerboat show, which normally is after the sailboat show, but this year they put the sail show later and the powerboat show earlier, which was good, because during the powerboat show the weather was not as nice. Like I said, in the many years of show going in Annapolis - as a visitor and working the show - I have only seen it flood twice and so that is not the norm. There are so many great restaurants and bars around, plus shops (with show discounts) and other sights to see, that the show is only one great part of one's visit to Annapolis. Even if you aren't in the market for a new boat, the boats you can board are the nicest anywhere and you can get ideas and also get leads on used boats too from people working the show. If you are looking for gear, electronics, rigging, sails, appliances, etc. it is a great place to discuss your needs with experts and make comparisons to help you make decisions, whether at the show or later. And, undoubtedly you will find many new products (or old ones) that you never knew existed that you could use. So, if you are sitting on the fence as to go or not......I say GO.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Does every thread mentioning weather result in political nonsense?

Crap, start a “I love the Clown-in-Chief” thread if you want to. Just don’t drag all the others into it.
Well, my friend, you just demonstrated that for you it is a political issue. I don't think anybody else mentioned anything about politics. Haven't you learned by now that it doesn't matter who controls the political offices, there isn't going to be anything done politically to impact any kind of climate change? Politicians are in a frozen state of "money for nothing … chicks for free" frame of mind. They aren't going to lead us anywhere if it is going to affect their free ride. But they will do whatever it takes when it means more for them.

And what is the hysteria all about anyway? Humans adapt, we always have. Change and adaptation usually results in progress and prosperity. So what if a few towns need to do some minor relocation? Perhaps we should try to restore flood-affected areas to a more natural environment. Let's eliminate some of the overcrowding in shoreline areas. I see no downside to that. Adapt - improve - prosper. What's the downside? I think global warming is beneficial. Cooling, OTOH, could be something more frightening to deal with. Static Earth? Dream on.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 33 Metedeconk River
Love the Annapolis show. Its probably been several years since I stepped on a boat there. I usually go with a list of around 30 questions that come up over the year and stop at an appropriate booth to get my questions answered. One favorite is Sailrite where I usually spend 15-30 minutes with one of the guys picking their brains and they are always helpful with my projects. This year I found iCom, Yanmar and Selden very helpful also. Come to think of it, walking around there is what it might be like walking around an SBO fair. Lots of knowledgeable people with good advice and willing to share. Highlight this year though, was the same as last year, crab cake lunch at The Boatyard in Eastport.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Has the Navy restricted use of their mooring balls around Annapolis?

(Float a loan, good one Ron)

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
This was our third trip to the annapolis show last one in 2012 had a great time
Friday when the flooding occured man was that bad,it was easy to blame the show management.
The next day it became obvious that it was simply so many forces of nature converging at the same time and not because of Al Gore!!!
Management did their best hope the effected vendors didnt lose to much. We did our best to spent our cash and help the cause
Hats off to the Hendricks dock!!! How much fun was that.
They reminded us what boat shows used to be
That alone was worth the trip
Had some tech questions for some folks and they all got answered. Where else can you do that?
Wonder meal at the Boatyard
All in all Annapolis is a special place love the history and glad we came

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Has the Navy restricted use of their mooring balls around Annapolis?
Not that I have heard. Most often the mooring balls are free for use- unless a noteable storm is coming. Like tomorrow there is expected 20 to 30 with gusts to 40. I doubt that would send the YP (yard patrol) boats out of their slips and to the mooring balls. Hurricanes, would, I'm sure. Upcreek to the right, Weems Creek has placed a couple dozen new balls since last year, probably not Navy, but usable by the average boat, I'm sure. Not sure about other creeks closer to town, though.

Thursday after lunch is the start of the Great Schooner Race in the Bay off the mouth of the Severn River.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
I attended the show on Sat, and it mostly a disaster with some vendors standing ankle deep in water (while power was on in the tent!!!!!). The show tried to make accommodations for the rising water by bringing in duckboards, but foot traffic got so funneled and some dock routes got closed off that after lunch it really started to get difficult to move around. If they'd had an emergency (e.g. fire or electrocution) it would've been a disaster to try to get people out, or emergency services in. They could only open one gate, so people who pre-bought tickets were standing in a long line to get in, while those buying walk up tickets got in quickly.

Don't get me wrong - when the show was scheduled for the dates it ran, no one could've predicted the storm offshore which almost certainly magnified the high tides (the docks in Deale were under water and shutting off power, at least at Shipwright). But once it got too crowded and impossible to get around, we left just before 4 pm, and they were turning people away at the gate. I don't know what time they turned off letting people back in, but I'm actually surprised that the fire marshall or some other authority didn't shut the show down completely. There's no way power running thru those tents with ankle deep water was really safe. The liability of letting hundreds of people wander around like that was HUGE.

I would've liked management to offer to accept the wrist bracelets from Sat for Sun or Mon as compensation - I just couldn't get to vendors I wanted to see, or boats I wanted to climb on. But again, it wasn't the show's fault the water invaded a boat show. I can say my wife will never go back, but I'll def return - but I may take a day off work and go on VIP Thur (I bet that'll be a lot of people next year). Crowds are def not my thing, but I greatly value the vendors and all those boats available to look at in one place.

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
Tfox: Herrington Harbour North had to turn off power to several docks as well since the water was nearly up to the electric conduits. Since we were spending several days on the boat we were so glad to have a slip on the floating dock.