Anchor Sizeing Great Lakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
AMF Alcort Paceship PY26 Washburn Wi. Apostle Islands
Maybe I'll just do some diveing around Devils Island... seems to be some good holding anchors out there...

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I'm hearing you guys..

I'll find something heavier/more aggressive anchor wise and I have plenty of heavy chain around the shop to put something together for heavy weather mooring..

Then I'll have two rigs on board, use the lighter one where I can and heavier when I need..
You will never regret it :). Since you have some chain, spend that money and get one of these...

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|10391|33872|902122&id=901916

.... and you will have a really nice anchor to start with like Danny said. In Florida the last couple times we were using the claw and leaving the Manson on the bow roller for the 'bad blow', then I thought why are we not using the better anchor all the time and the claw in addition when we wanted 2 anchors down. So we started using the Manson all the time with the claw when we did want two anchors down.

If you get a better anchor, and it sounds like you are, put it down at night and use the other one for lunch or whatever.

The same with the scope, I'm with Ross, if you have the room to swing why try and see how little scope you can get by with? To us anchoring out can be real addictive. We love it.

I will say that we did something real dumb on our first trip. We had never had the boat in the water or even seen it in the water. So we go over to Colorado in late spring when the lake is all snow melt, colder than hell and the nights are below freezing. We put the boat in the water and can't get the outboard to fire. No problem, put it in the unlocked pickup and put the 5 HP dinghy outboard on. We put in and there is absolutely no one on the lake. By now it is late and we had never even been on a sailboat before.

We motor down into a little bend in the lake and put the little Danforth down that came with the boat. Of course I had read some and new enough to put out some scope, but we just threw the anchor over the side and I let out line and cleated it off. We are still motoring along about 4-5 knots when we get to the end of the road where I had cleated it off and the boat comes to a sudden halt and swings around. That was 'setting the hook'.

We eat and the temps are headed down into the low 30's. There are no houses or anything on the lake. We turn in and I lay there listening to all of the gurgling sounds you hear only at night. I think what if this boat has a leak and we sink? I can swim, but not very far in 35 degree water and Ruth doesn't swim at all. Of course she goes right to sleep and I finally do also and the rest is history.

Be a little smarter than we were ;),

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our Endeavour 37[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our MacGregor S Pages[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Mac-Venture Links[/FONT]

Last edited:

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Beneteau 393 Bayfield, Wi
Another thing Squidd, I'd plan on anchoring out more often than you think if you really want to see the islands. It's not a huge cruising grounds, but it's big enough that if you want to get off the beaten path a bit and see the outer ring islands, you'll run out of daylight once you get there. So, why not spend some time exploring by spending the night and give yourself the confidence to stay put when you dig in for the night. There are lots of things to buy for a boat but I don't know of anything that has given me more piece of mind than a good ground tackle system.

Sep 6, 2011
If I may also suggest some sort of retrieval system like a trip line. You can make or buy such a system from Defender for $30-40. It makes retrieval easier short handed or if you find a rocky bottom. SC

Sep 14, 2010
Catalina 320 Worton Creek, MD
Squidd, all of the places you'll be anchoring in the Apostles are sand bottoms and 9 times out of 10, you'll be anchoring in 15 feet of water. The water is so clear that I always row out to have a good look at the set of the anchor after backing down on it. I have a Manson Supreme and love it. I bought it after using a Fortress (Danforth style) for years without having any trouble, until the one time I had trouble.
The wind shifted 180 degrees (not uncommon) and the rode hooked under one of the bars and pulled the anchor up. We dragged to the point where the keel was tapping bottom. I started my rowing out to have a look ritual after that.
I like the Danforth style for a lunch hook, but I won't sleep on it if I don't have to.
I have had the same problems as DannyS with a Danforth in the Chesapeake. It doesn't take much of a shift/blow or tide change to wrap the chain and pop the anchor out of the bottom. I'm gonna upgrade to a Claw or one of the Practical Sailor recommendations before the spring sailing season. The Danforth just doesn't let me sleep...:cry:

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
I've been looking at "Plow" anchors... they come with and without a "hinge"..any difference (better) in performance for the AI area...?

I'm thinking the hinge is good...supposed to help with wind shift...?

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I've been looking at "Plow" anchors... they come with and without a "hinge"..any difference (better) in performance for the AI area...?

I'm thinking the hinge is good...supposed to help with wind shift...?
Here's a hinged one vs. a new generation anchor:

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
OK... so now I'm looking at Rocna anchors...:redface:

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I think the one MS tested was of the earlier generation. Then they outsourced to China and things got messy. Sounds like there might be a new owner, but that they still might be made in China...

http://www.ybw.com/news/rocna-anchors-acquired-by-canada-metal-pacific/529811

... If you have a couple spare hours Google...

rocna anchors vs. manson supreme

sounds like you are doing your research :),

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our Endeavour 37[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our MacGregor S Pages[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Mac-Venture Links[/FONT]

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Squidd,

You are doing this the right way. Look at your overall budget/plan, and act accordingly. In fact your current ground tackle will be just fine your first year. I'd leave it as is. Lots of the comments do not pertain to the the type of anchoring you will be doing 95% of the time. Sand bottom. 15 feet of clear water. crowded anchorages. Sometimes limited swing. Places to move if the wind shifts 180. You're good.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME

I would not.... Buy a Manson Supreme instead. Very similar performance, made with stronger steel, built in NZ, not China, and sold by an honorable company who does not intentionally mislead customers.

Don't get me wrong the Rocna is a tremendous design but the company has become less than ethical. I own both a Manson Supreme and a Rocna and both perform equally as good.

If you could find a used NZ or Canadian built Rocna then buy it otherwise buy a Manson Supreme..

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
Squidd,

You are doing this the right way. Look at your overall budget/plan, and act accordingly. In fact your current ground tackle will be just fine your first year. I'd leave it as is. Lots of the comments do not pertain to the the type of anchoring you will be doing 95% of the time. Sand bottom. 15 feet of clear water. crowded anchorages. Sometimes limited swing. Places to move if the wind shifts 180. You're good.
Yeah, for close to $300 it's gonna be on my long term look for a deal plan...but it's a long winter...something might pop up...

Status
Not open for further replies.