Anchor Rode Wrap Around Wing Keel

Sep 29, 2008
Hunter 37.5 Point Lookout, NY
Wing-Keel Boat Sailors, I have had a couple of incidents when anchoring my Hunter 37.5 in tidal waters. This was when the tide changed but, due to the combination of wind and current, the boat's heading didn't, and the anchor rode wrapped around the wing keel. In each case, I had a scope of about 7:1 and the bar-tight rode turned immediately aft from the bowsprit and disappeared from view into the water amidships on the starboard side. Once hauled, I saw that the line had led to the trailing edge of the keel, bending around it towards the anchor off to the port side of the boat, and causing damage to the trailing edge of the keel. The last time, the damage was significant, (see attached photos) as it occurred during an astronomically extreme tidal current and the anchor was well dug in, with the boat broadside to the 4.2 knot current and the anchor plowing its way out the channel before I cut the rode. Other times this happened, the anchor held and there was less damage to the keel.

Each time this happened I was perplexed as to how it happened and what I could do to correct it. I couldn't tell at the time if the line was wrapped around the rudder or the keel, so I didn't feel it was safe to run the engine for fear the line would entangle with the prop. And with such a load on the line I couldn't loosen it from the cleat safely.

Do any of you have this problem? Have you found a way to prevent or recover from it?

Attachments

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Perplexing, for sure. Our 1991 P42 has a similar keel as yours, only a bit larger, with a 40 pound Danforth connected to 50 feet of chain, 200 feet of rope, then another 50 feet of chain followed by another 200 feet of rope. I always clip on a 20 pound lead ball to the last link of the first 50 foot segment of chain. In all the years of anchoring hundreds of times in all kinds of sea, current and weather states I've never had an issue with the rode wrapping the keel or rudder. Whether our setup makes a difference, no idea. Wished I had an answer or a suggestion, but will alas remain perplexed, too.

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
Wow yea I have the same keel but the cast iron version never dragged anchor when hung up but often worried I would don't know how it happens but usually shake it off sometimes I use boat hook to catch and let out line till get rode on board then thread remaining line around keel and back on board. Only once have I cut loose but then I used another anchor to fish anchor back

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Do a search on kellet or sentinel.
Although I don't have a wing keel, I have had the same issue with my boat. Too much lift on the keel I guess. There is a place here called China Camp/McNears Beach where when the tide shifts to a flood and the wind continues to blow in the opposite direction, we turn completely backwards to the anchor. Bow into the current and stern into the wind when a light breeze. I did use a sentinel the last time I was there (2007). Mine is a foldable 8 pound grapnel type anchor that I attached to a carabiner with a length of line. After snapping the carabiner over the anchor rode, I let it down 8 feet along the rode and cleated it off. Theoretically, the weight was to pull the rode down vertically when it went slack and allow the keel to cross over the rode without wrapping the keel. During the day, it worked perfectly. By the next ebb we were pointed back towards the anchor. Then we went to bed. At 6:30 the next morning someone was banging on the hull. "Your anchor is dragging"! I got up and saw we were nowhere near where we had been. I pulled the rode in and 22 feet out was a frayed end. The grapnel had actually deployed and was covered with mud. It must have held us in 8 feet of water until the tide came back in and off we went again before the good Samaritan woke us up. So, That was the only time that ever happened to us. So, I decided my sentinel probably wasn't heavy enough. I also ordered an Anchor Riding Sail from Sailrite. They are pro-ported to keep the boat pointed to the wind and reduce swinging. But I've not had the opportunity to try either of these measures. My wife sees no need to go back to China Camp ever again. And we never did get our anchor back after dragging that grapnel all over the place.
Notch.JPG

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Am I understanding correctly that these are all with fiber (nylon) rodes?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Years ago I got a head from a sledge hammer- 8 pounds I think- to use on my B235. It had it's own rode of maybe 15/20 feet. I would shackle the head rode around the anchor rode then lower it to the bottom and not much more. When the boat started to settle back, the anchor rode would lift the sledge head, so it acted like a kellet. As second use for the head was when the boat would swing, I'd DROP the head off the stern rail to get it to bury into the bottom if it could. That would put some drag when the swing happened. I don't think it always prevented the swing, but it did help.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
A
Am I understanding correctly that these are all with fiber (nylon) rodes?
A mix of chain and nylon on mine. I don't have the storage ability for an all chain ground tackle (or any more than 25 feet). I suspect that is the case for many of the less than or equal to 36 foot racer/cruisers with relatively small anchor lockers and high efficiency fin keels. Using 7 to 1 scope means a long run of nylon. In general it is fine, but under certain circumstances the addition of kellets and riding sails are needed unless bow and stern anchoring can be done without disrupting the free swing of neighboring boats.

Jun 7, 2004
Catalina 320 Middle River, MD
Wow, 4.2 kts. That is a killer current. The sentinel should have kept your rode below the keel. It doesn't need a great weight as it is only functional when the rode is slack. I have a mark on the sentinel line so the weight falls below the keel when the rode is slack. That way, it doesn't get caught in the bottom.
As for unwinding the wrap, I've had good results once the current lightens. If still under great pressure, try tying a line on the rode (use a rolling hitch,) where it heads cleanly to the anchor and use a winch to haul in enough to create some slack in the wrapped portion of the rode.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
As others have stated you need a kellet. I use a 10 pound mushroom type anchor as a kellet and that cured the problem completely. Mine is on 10 foot 1/8" nylon line with a snap clip that fits over the anchor rode and is stored in the anchor locker. You just need to have something to hold the nylon anchor rode straight down below your keel when it goes slack during current or wind changes. Up in Maine in most anchorages at least half the boats have them and most of the others have all chain rodes. Simple solution to big problem.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Each of these stories could easily have cost you a boat, or even worse if you had dragged into a marina or onto rocks. Why not just all-chain? And I don't mean 300' of 3/8" BBB. I mean 150' of grade 43, probably 1/4". You only need enough to anchor on all-chain 90% of the time. Unless you are frequently anchoring in more than 10' of water with high current, 150' will do fine. It will take little more room than the same amount of rope. Pair that with a nice long snubber and you are golden.

I have more windage and have been happy with 100' of 1/4" G43 for many years. Because of the long snubber, my rode will never see over 1000#. No yawing either. No fooling with kellets.

I've always wondered, wouldn't a kellet increase the risk of the rope wrapping around a rock and cutting? The kellet keeps the nylon right on the bottom as the boat slides around with the tide.

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I'm with thinwater on this one. You say you don't have enough room for chain, but have you considered that with a good anchor (we love our Rocna) you only need 3:1 scope with chain? Put down more if you have it, of course, after all it does no good at all in the anchor locker, but 3:1 is quite acceptable with all chain and a properly sized anchor.
Otherwise, you could always use a Bahamian Mooring.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
Next we will have to figure out how to keep rode off the foil of an all carbon fiber 40' cruising boat just practicing with wing

Apr 9, 2016
Catalina 350 48 Santa Barbara
You did not mention how much chain you are using but I have 200' of chain and 100' of synthetic rode. I have a 36' Catalina. I have never had a problem but I don't anchor in extreme tidal areas so I really can't speak to it. Chain just lays flat on the bottom most of the time. Obviously I have a windlass too so if you don't have one you will need it.

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
On my Catalina 310 I just went from 35 ft chain + 160 ft of 3/4" rode plus a sentinel to all chain @ 100 ft + 35 ft of nylon rode. My anchor locker is actually a lot less cluttered and easier to deal with. Now use a chain hook and bridle and no more sentinel needed. Where I sail is very tidal and so wrapping the keel is a certainty but either a sentinel or all-chain eliminates the problem.