Anchor Rode Storage on a Catalina 27 1978

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y-RUSH

Dec 11, 2011
Catalina 27 Friday Harbor
I have a 1978 Cataline 27 , Y-RUSH , with no area to store the anchor rode/chain other than the port lazerette. I am thinking of cutting a deck plate opening foward of the air vent port and dropping the rode down a 4" poly tube into the area beneath the V-berth. This tube would be located as foward as possible in the bow of the boat, behind ( foward of ) the wooden panel that covers a small storage area.

The cutout into the deck of the boat does not concern me. I worry about compromising the strength in the bow area below the deck in the layer of glass that becomes the V-berth floor; although I will be leaving about 2 1/2" of glass all around this cutout.
Has anyone done this before or have any input ?

Jim
Friday Harbor WA.

Jon_E

Mar 19, 2011
Catalina 27 Marina del Rey
Anchor rode locker on my 1977

My anchor hangs from the bow pulpit. The chain and rode are stored in the bow in the small area fore of the V-berth. This is right behind the navigation lights in the bow.

The problem with that configuration on my boat is there is no place for water to drain when I stow the wet rode. It sits on a small towel that absorbs the residual moisture of the rode as it is stored. If I didn't have that, some water would run onto my v-berth cushions.

I am thinking of drilling a drainage hole so any water runs to the bilge, but so far it hasn't been necessary. I don't anchor all that often, and when I do, the towel has been able to keep up with the little bit of water that drips off the rode.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I wouldn't worry about a hole in the V berth "floor" assuming you mean the flat part that the cushions lay on. You could make a 2 foot square hole there and not compromise the strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.