Anchor locker windlass on a First 40.7?

May 6, 2021
Beneteau 40.7 San Diego
I would like to install an electric windlass in the anchor locker on a 2002 First 40.7. It looks like this was an available factory option back then, and i am wondering if anyone knows what brand/model fits or works well on these boats? Ideally i would like one that is completely hidden belowdecks in the locker, although i don't know for sure if that is possible. thanks.

Apr 17, 2019
Beneteau First 38 Kemah
Somebody installed a windlass on a Beneteau First 38, and did a brief write up with some pictures. S/V Milou – Page 44 – family sailing on a beneteau first 38 (see the entry posted on November 10, 2015, titled "Anchors Aweigh".
Unless the First 40 is different, you may need to build a shelf for the windlass. And, given the forces it will need to bear, you will likely need to reinforce it pretty well.
If you do decide to tackle this project, please make sure to post a description of the work for those of us considering doing the same some day.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

An internet search came up with this photo on the left of a windlass on a Beneteau 40.7. Does you anchor look like this with a shelf? The photo on the right is my horizontal Lewmar dual action horizontal windlass with 5/16” chain gypsy and capstan – activated by up/down foot switches.

1620395063348.png

May 11, 2015
Beneteau 323 Sakonnet, RI
I would like to install an electric windlass in the anchor locker on a 2002 First 40.7. It looks like this was an available factory option back then, and i am wondering if anyone knows what brand/model fits or works well on these boats? Ideally i would like one that is completely hidden belowdecks in the locker, although i don't know for sure if that is possible. thanks.

Attachments

May 11, 2015
Beneteau 323 Sakonnet, RI
I had a piece of plastic cut to match the outline of the windless
For my B323 I used a Lewmar ProFish 700
You may be able to use the Lewmar 800 series
When Lewmar outlines length of vessel I believe that is for powerboats

Just remember when choosing the gauge wire you calculate the full circuit up and back

Also you can see I have a wire and the shackle tacked to the locker to hold the chain and take the stress off the windless we’re not in use