Anchor light bulb replacement.

Twille

Oct 8, 2012
Hunter 38 Henderson, nc
Ok -yes i an climb up there and fetch it, bring it down and then get the correct bulb, then climb back up there. 60 ft off the water with a fiberglass deck somewhere close to the bottom. Or maybe, just maybe, someone might be kind enough to lend me some hard earned knowledge about which bulb to take up with me the first time. Hunter 38 2006 anchor light drone pic attached.
1571400396984.jpeg
1571400396984.jpeg

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
OK I think I can help! Your anchor light looks like a Aqua Signal Series 50. Takes a 12v 25W Bulb. Bulb PN 90400002. Replace the bulb with a LED and save lots of power at night! The Mast Light index below states it is for a 50 but I think they are pretty much standard issue for Hunters. Hope this helps!

Attachments

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Now, if you can just get your drone to replace the bulb or tie up to a low bridge and reach over the bridge railing.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
I tried replacing my anchor light bulb with a LED and it just wouldn't work. Tried 2 bulbs and they worked on the table but not in the fixture.

So if you are going to try it, take the LED and the regular up with up and there return the one that doesn't get used.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Don't forget to bring a little sandpaper strip to polish the contacts. Many of the "blown bulbs" I've seen light up when you twist them to remove them. The only problem was corrosion on the contacts.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I tried replacing my anchor light bulb with a LED and it just wouldn't work. Tried 2 bulbs and they worked on the table but not in the fixture.

So if you are going to try it, take the LED and the regular up with up and there return the one that doesn't get used.
It is possible that the LED bulbs are polarity sensitive. At the bench test reverse the leads and see if the LED bulb lights up.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Ok -yes i an climb up there and fetch it, bring it down and then get the correct bulb, then climb back up there. 60 ft off the water with a fiberglass deck somewhere close to the bottom. Or maybe, just maybe, someone might be kind enough to lend me some hard earned knowledge about which bulb to take up with me the first time. Hunter 38 2006 anchor light drone pic attached.View attachment 170937View attachment 170937
Hi Tom, likely this bulb from Marinebeam. Indexed so it fits only one way. Replaced all ours from them several years ago. Very pleased with their performance. Double-Contact Indexed BAY15d 18-LED Surface Mount Cluster

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Hi Ken, this bulb is not a strobe/tricolor. It is a standard incandescent anchor bulb replacement. Since it is indexed, it can only go in one way.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Hi Ken, this bulb is not a strobe/tricolor. It is a standard incandescent anchor bulb replacement. Since it is indexed, it can only go in one way.
Marinebeam design their Tri/anchor/Strobe drop in replacement for index anchor light. Now the anchor light can function as Tri if you so desire. High up there, more visible.
I replaced my stock index bulb for this Marinebeam Tri. Couple of friend's boats did too. Best upgrade I've done.

Ken Y

Dec 25, 2000
Good to know, Ken. Thought Tom was looking for an LED replacement to his incandescent bulb rather than a complete fixture.

Twille

Oct 8, 2012
Hunter 38 Henderson, nc
Just the bulb this time around, At some point when we hit the big pond a mast head tri color would be appropriate!

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Marinebeam design their Tri/anchor/Strobe drop in replacement for index anchor light. Now the anchor light can function as Tri if you so desire. High up there, more visible.
I replaced my stock index bulb for this Marinebeam Tri. Couple of friend's boats did too. Best upgrade I've done.

Ken Y
I did that replacement as well, but would not suggest it fifty-feet in the air. In order to get the red/green/white sectors right, it's best to have the mast down so you can rotate fixture or bulb, and that's not something you want to do over your head, swinging in the breeze.