anchor handling on a Hunter 34

Jun 8, 2020
Hunter 34 White St Helens, OR
I am new to Hunters and the idea of a recessed anchor well. where does one storage they're anchor rode and chain. the previous boat I was on we carried 350 of chain before we went to rope/line.

Has any one installed a deck pipe in the anchor well to feed chain and ride under the vee berths?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
All my Hunter sailboats had/have an anchor locker in the bow, without a deck pipe pipe in the locker, where I stow 350 feet of rode. I installed a shelf below the horizontal windlass (like shown in the schematic diagram) to facilitate feeding the windlass / locker and getting it off the wet floor. The Cruising World and Practical Sailor articles discuss the use of an angled spill pipe to redirect the anchor chain from its original locker in the forepeak to a larger locker farther aft, which not only allows the rode now run freely without piling up, but it also lightens the bow. Maybe others in the forum have done this OR installed a separate deck pipe like the sea dog.

1595974474903.png
1595975012876.png
1595976149244.png

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Attached pdf will show you what I've done on my 34. Lewmar 1000 horizontal windlass with 75' of G4 5/16'' chain spliced to 150' of 5/8'' 3-strands rode. I deepened the anchor well, cut its door in half and built a frame to support the half where the windlass is mounted. The Bruce 17.5 kg anchor stays mounted in place, ready to deploy. FYI, my main sailing area allows me to anchor in 10 feet only with just the chain, but I regularly sail the Lower St-Lawrence River to NB, NS, and Labrador and anchor frequently in 25 to 30 feet of water without any problems. Hope this helps. Good luck

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
You put the anchor in the anchor locker. That's why it's called and anchor locker. Whatever your old boat had is different from what your new boat has so you will not be able to do it the same way. There is not room in the H34 anchor locker for 350ft of chain. Mine has about 15ft of chain and then rope. No windlass.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Ron, perhaps you missed the part about the drain at the bottom of the locker.
Well, like everone's been telling you for years, Charlie, "put a cork in it" :cowbell:. Besides, he should have put a second drain in it.

Jun 8, 2020
You put the anchor in the anchor locker. That's why it's called and anchor locker. Whatever your old boat had is different from what your new boat has so you will not be able to do it the same way. There is not room in the H34 anchor locker for 350ft of chain. Mine has about 15ft of chain and then rope. No windlass.
markwbird...I think you have missed the point of my question which cones from someone who has spent a lot of time in boats, had worked is shipyards and taught over 500 people to sail. I was asking for examples of what other owners have done in modifying the factor setup when they tend to sail in places that require more than normal day sailing conditions and anchoring situations.

I also was not starting that I would carry that amount of chain on this boat as it would be to great a strain to carry.

It should also be noted that given the right sea conditions or in sailing offshore the deck hatch anchor storage can be down right dangerous.

FYI - if you haven't inspected your anchor locker thruhulls lately double check your drains and fittings. On the boat I just bought, the marine surveyor missed the poor condition on our boat (the pieces fell apart in my hands during my own inspection) which could have led to flooding in the boat due to this "convenient design".

Jun 8, 2020
Attached pdf will show you what I've done on my 34. Lewmar 1000 horizontal windlass with 75' of G4 5/16'' chain spliced to 150' of 5/8'' 3-strands rode. I deepened the anchor well, cut its door in half and built a frame to support the half where the windlass is mounted. The Bruce 17.5 kg anchor stays mounted in place, ready to deploy. FYI, my main sailing area allows me to anchor in 10 feet only with just the chain, but I regularly sail the Lower St-Lawrence River to NB, NS, and Labrador and anchor frequently in 25 to 30 feet of water without any problems. Hope this helps. Good luck
thank you very much for the photos and detailed narrative...I will look very closely at what you have done.... by the way.... great places to be sailing.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
markwbird...I think you have missed the point of my question which cones from someone who has spent a lot of time in boats, had worked is shipyards and taught over 500 people to sail. I was asking for examples of what other owners have done in modifying the factor setup when they tend to sail in places that require more than normal day sailing conditions and anchoring situations.

I also was not starting that I would carry that amount of chain on this boat as it would be to great a strain to carry.

It should also be noted that given the right sea conditions or in sailing offshore the deck hatch anchor storage can be down right dangerous.

FYI - if you haven't inspected your anchor locker thruhulls lately double check your drains and fittings. On the boat I just bought, the marine surveyor missed the poor condition on our boat (the pieces fell apart in my hands during my own inspection) which could have led to flooding in the boat due to this "convenient design".
Yes. I got that the question/issue is more complicated than it seems at first glance. I was being tongue-in cheek. Others are providing more serious responses. Did not mean to offend.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
No changes here.. I usually anchor in 8-10 feet of water with a max of about 25.. such is the Gulf Coast.. My boat has a draft of 5'6", so we have to watch depth carefully.. Our tides are less than a foot normally..

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Our original anchor and system remain and works well. The Danforth anchor is kept mounted on the bow roller ready for launch. The rest stores in the anchor locker; fifty feet of chain, 150’ of rope, another fifty feet of chain followed by another 150’ of rope. Rarely have I used more than a total of 140’ of rode over the years. Once in Quigley Bay I anchored in 70’ of water dropping about 200’ of rode. We have anchored hundreds of times over the years and remain satisfied with what we have.

Tide swings of eight feet common in our region. Normally drop in twenty feet of water at mid tide letting out 110’ - 130’ of rode followed by a twenty pound kellet. More let out if a blow is in the forecast.