An Introduction to Cruising for Future Cruisers

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I came across this post from a blog, Creampuff.com, about what it is really like to be out cruising. Based on my year long adventure aboard Second Star, I find much truth in the article. Thanks to Peter Swanson from Loose Cannon, for sharing the article.

Jan 11, 2014
I should add, that we are planning to return to cruising next spring and head out for another year. For us, the joys of cruising out weighed the downsides and there was more than a few frustrating (and expensive) moments. On our next adventure we plan to sail out the St Lawrence River and then head south. This was actually our first plan, but then Covid.

A few years back we met a couple who had sold the house and everthing hopped in the boat and headed south. They only made it through the first couple of locks leaving Lake Ontario before heading back. As the article says, cruising isn't for everyone.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
We were in the Chesapeake when hurricane Sandy went by. From then on we figured it would never get any worse so for a dozen years of traveling the east coast we have had a marvelous experience. We will travel south this winter (if the boat doesn’t sell) and maybe have friends aboard to help with the journey.

Feb 15, 2008
Hunter 49 Sydney
Yep I too sold up everything, been cruising continuously now for 15 years, done approx 130,000nm. If I had of followed the normal land lubbers path things would have been worse life style wise.

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
What a great read.

I would like to add one thing about laundry. During my career in the navy, it was much easier and cheaper to hire someone to do laundry than to find a laundry to do then yourself.

• Helpful
Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
What a great read.

I would like to add one thing about laundry. During my career in the navy, it was much easier and cheaper to hire someone to do laundry than to find a laundry to do then yourself.
Maybe outside the US, not so much in at least the cruising grounds we sail (hearing S from Hilton Head next week yay!)

However, the price is close enough that sometimes its worth it for convenience to find a wash and fold by the pound and take a couple weeks worth of clothes with you. Marina washers/dryers can end up being over $5 a load.

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
What does one do with trash on a long journey? This topic isn't often talked about
Our journeys aren't "long", we might be away from a trash can for a week but....

First tactic is to not create the trash in the first place. Don't bring aboard superfluous packaging and so on. Strip your food items especially down to the minimum amount.

Then we put full garbage bags into the dink, until we go ashore next.

Jan 11, 2014
What does one do with trash on a long journey? This topic isn't often talked about
First, try to reduce the amount of trash. Get rid of excess packaging which is the largest volume of trash.

Food scraps go over board.

Everything else gets saved and burned in a beach campfire or disposed of after landfall.

Plastics never go over board.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
First tactic is to not create the trash in the first place. Don't bring aboard superfluous packaging and so on. Strip your food items especially down to the minimum amount.

Then we put full garbage bags into the dink, until we go ashore next.
:plus: Exactly what I did when I brought the boat up from Ft. Lauderdale FL.

Jan 11, 2014
I should clarify, food scraps go overboard when far offshore, not in near shore waters.

With some practice the amount of food scraps produced by only preparing that which you can eat, no left overs.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Once off shore, glass (I try to minimize the amount onboard, but not totally possible) can go overboard with food scraps and paper.

As has been said, try to minimize garbage generation. I remove all packaging possible before storing onboard.

I mostly eat fresh food. I do have a fairly large store of canned food, but I hardly ever tapped into it on the last northern transatlantic route. Arriving in the Azores after a 12 day passage we had two kitchen sized garbage bags (and they weren't full) that were stored on my aft platform outside. I mostly use kitchen sized garbage bags inside, then I carry large heavy duty garbage can sized bags. So the two kitchen sized bags were inside one larger bag. I did this to avoid leakage and to give better ocean resistance to the exterior stored garbage. Like how useful is it to bring a bag out and have it rip open and dump its contents????

I was surprised how easy it was to simply carry enough fresh food. I'd always thought I'd be spending days eating out of cans.... Much nicer with good fresh food!

dj

Jan 11, 2014
Did this attract birds and other creatures?

@dlochner Sorry, Didn't mean to hijack your thread!
Many wanna be cruisers have rather idyllic notions about life on a boat and cruising. Not to disillusion these folks there are a lot of idyllic times. Then there is the practical issues, like dealing with trash, plugged up heads, broken boat parts, and so on. I started this thread to allow readers to explore the lifestyle and ask questions. You added to the converstation. :beer:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Did this attract birds and other creatures?
It hasn't yet. Bear in mind, my garbage is double bagged. The bag the garbage is in, and the bag containing the bag...

The kitchen bags I use has a biocide inside the bag. I found them in a store in Maryland near Annapolis. I'd never seen them before. I bought a package of something like 175 bags. So far, beginning in April, I've used less than half of them.

dj

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
Many wanna be cruisers have rather idyllic notions about life on a boat and cruising. Not to disillusion these folks there are a lot of idyllic times. Then there is the practical issues, like dealing with trash, plugged up heads, broken boat parts, and so on. I started this thread to allow readers to explore the lifestyle and ask questions. You added to the converstation. :beer:
I did my toilet on land as well. In fact in the last year I’ve replaced 1 joker valve on the boat, and 2 wax rings and a flapper on land

it’s all the same, just with less room and a dinghy ride to Home Depot

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
We put a lot in canning jars and got rid of the original packaging while still on land. Then washed the empty jars. Some of our friends would can their favorite dishes so they could be used underway. We always found local markets and fishermen had some interesting options to “what’s for dinner’.

Feb 15, 2008
Hunter 49 Sydney
Maybe outside the US, not so much in at least the cruising grounds we sail (hearing S from Hilton Head next week yay!)

However, the price is close enough that sometimes its worth it for convenience to find a wash and fold by the pound and take a couple weeks worth of clothes with you. Marina washers/dryers can end up being over $5 a load.
In Asia and South Pacific pretty much your right its cheap. However much of the stuff we do is some distance away from even those resources