An easy enhanced soft shackle

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
When I was learning how to splice and make soft shackles I archived a bunch of links for reference. This is an interesting comparison of techniques that I dug up.

Nice find, I think I'll go down to 5/16 line instead after reading that I found, thanks!

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Nice find, I think I'll go down to 5/16 line instead after reading that I found, thanks!
I would suggest that the strength of the each component should be considered. Weakest link thinking. Most blocks have a documented “breaking strength” or whatever term they might use in their literature. If you are considering attaching the turning blocks to the stern dock cleat how “strong” are they and their attachment points. I think you will find that the soft shackle is one of the “stronger” components even with small diameters. ;)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great find @Hunter216 . It shows understandable comparisons easily understood.

And it confirms for me, my seat of the pants observations (not having the test bed set up to preform actual strength tests).

Nice.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Great find @Hunter216 . It shows understandable comparisons easily understood.

And it confirms for me, my seat of the pants observations (not having the test bed set up to preform actual strength tests).

Nice.
I guess the real test bed is your own boat. Implementing a new to you sail, fitting, block, engine is always a little exciting and intimidating. Heightened awareness until the point is reached where the new little sounds and visuals become “normal” and you know that the new kit works the way you want. Keeps the fun factor fresh! ;)

Oct 22, 2014
My last build, end of season before I started refitting this winter, was to install and test my preventer. Weather cooperated and I was able to sail in 20knts with 4 ft chop. Started a downwind leg and installed the preventer Using a soft shackle on the turning block attached to the bow cleat, and a soft shackle holding the preventer to the end of the boom.
  1. Rig was light and easy to set.
  2. Rig worked great tensioning the boom between the preventer and the mainsheet.
  3. One cross water wave dipped the end of the boom in the water, no reaction to the boom or the boat. Felt solid.
  4. On inspection of the preventer rig after the experience, all was like new. No chafe or wear apparent.
Very pleased. Will rig my genoa and new asymmetrical sheets using a soft shackles. Use of different diameter line gives a nice selection of soft shackles for different rig requirements. I am wondering about their use on an anchor chain snubber. More chances to experiement.

colemj

Jul 13, 2004
Dolphin Catamaran Dolphin 460 Mystic, CT
I am wondering about their use on an anchor chain snubber. More chances to experiement.
We've been connecting our snubber to the chain using a soft shackle for several years now. Works great. One needs to choose the correct diameter line to make the shackle so that it will pass through a chain link. We haven't experienced any significant chafing, and we anchor a lot in coarse sand and rubble with the snubber connection sitting on the bottom. However, these shackles are so easy and cheap to make that they can be swapped out regularly.

Mark

Oct 22, 2014
Thanks Mark for your insights. My conjecture is now supported by your experience.:thumbup: