American Fiberglass 21 upgrades

Nov 30, 2021
American Fiberglass 21 St. Helens
I bought a 1978 American Fiberglass 21 in 2020. This last summer I changed out the standing rigging for Dyneema. I re-wired the boat and will start on the cosmetic stuff this winter. I would like to replace the cable for the centerboard but have no idea what the procedure would be. Any help out there.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Changing the centerboard pennant will likely involve removing the centerboard. Lifting the hull up to do this will be the most difficult part, but people do it lots of different ways. Jacking up the boat in stages, bow then stern, and stacking forklift pallets under it each time is one way. When the hull is high enough off the ground you get to lower the centerboard. If you're lucky, the pennant/board attachment point may be accessible with the board down. You can then take the new pennant and fish it through by attaching it to the end of the old pennant before pulling it out. Attach the new pennant to the board, and you're all set. If you can't access the pennant/board attachment point you will need to remove the centerboard pivot bolt. Make sure the board is supported so it doesn't hit the ground when you do this! Lining up the centerboard with the pivot point can be tricky when you go to re-install it. For my dinghy I drew lines radiating from the hole in the centerboard to help line it up by looking through the centerboard trunk pivot hole.

Nov 30, 2021
Thanks, but this is a dagger centerboard, it doesn't have a pivot point.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
In that case the top of the lifting keel/daggerboard should be accessible when it's lifted up into the cabin, perhaps by taking off a covering board on top the case, or cutting it open. Again, make sure the keel is supported underneath before removing or cutting the pennant.

• Helpful
Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
According to SailboatData.com that’s not a centerboard but a lifting keel weighing 550#.

I imagine that the keel is supported by some kind of bunk while on the trailer? If so, then it should just be a case of figuring out how to access the lifting cable. Maybe follow the cable from the winch (I assume there’s a winch?)

Nov 30, 2021
I could make some kind of support on the trailer for the centerboard, as there is none now. as much as I can see now the only way to do it now is to remove the winch with the cable still attached. The cable also passes around a pulley on top of the centerboard that needs servicing also. If I enlarge the access hole in the housing for the centerboard, is that going to make a problem down river???

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Welcome to SBO. It's nice to have somebody with a ongoing project within short driving distance of Silverton I will send you my phone number through SBO private message if you want it or you can PM me.
" If I enlarge the access hole in the housing for the centerboard, is that going to make a problem down river??? "
Short answer: pretty sure that if it's in the boot below the waterline and you leave it open it definitely will but only while it's still floating:biggrin:. '

Nov 30, 2021
I hope you do not have great expectations of variable forms of modern communication with me. If you want to exchange phone numbers, I am fine with that. I can give you my email to send me your number. BUT I do NOT do ANY form of social media communications remotely resembling facebook or twiter. This is the first forum I have participated in. This is only because I would like some information from people who have practical experience with sail boats.

The area I am looking at possibly enlarging is in the cabin there is an enclosed "sleave" that the centerboard is lifted into by means of a winch located near the top of the "sleave" and the winch is accessed through a square whole. I can see a pully on top of the centerboard when it is in the lifted position. I do not think I would have to enlarge the hole much, but I do not know how dependent the boats structural integrity depends on this housing.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Welcome @Perry Welch to the forum. I too do not trust Facebook , twitter and the rest of social media.
I am a former sailboat dealer now retired. This forum also has a space for private messages which I exchange private info between forum members using private messaging. In fact I have suggested in private messaging to others who have posted personal info on the open forum to remove it as you do not know who is reading that. In addition sailboatowners.com does not share any information with other members. Use private messaging is safe
American Fiberglass has been out of business since the late 1970’s per a friend of mine who knew that company but not that boat. I could not find any photos or diagrams of that boat as @LloydB asked for advice from me. We exchanged phone numbers thru private messaging but we will not share phone numbers with others.
It sounds like you have a swing keel or lifting keel weighing 550 pounds. It would be held in place by a bolt either thru the keel housing inside the cabin below the winch or by the bolt secured by two hangers just like the Catalina 22 and and 25 on the hull. The machine bolts holding the hangers in place on the bottom of the hull are screwed into stainless steel plates embedded in the fiberglass hull referring to swing keel.
Since I am not familiar with the boat, can you take more photos at the bottom of the keel housing inside the cabin? Also look on the bottom of the hull for any bolts, hangers to see if there is anything there and take a photo or two. How about a photo of the deck atop of the lifting keel. I learned there were two keels one swing and the other lifting. So I am trying to make sure what exactly we are dealing with

Per @LloydB he reached out thru the forum private messaging just he did with you and me. i Enjoyed talking with him which is why I know about your inquiry
Dave