Aluminum Paste, ever work with it?

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
It is taking so long because 1) I don't have the tools, and 2) I enjoy dragging projects out to 2 weeks. LOL

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
2 weeks and 5 pages... we either like your ideas or it is just fun messing with a Marine...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Feb 17, 2006
OK... this project (and thread) are done. I have installed the part back on the boat and it is (sorta, kinda, maybe) like new. After drilling the hole, I tapped but I must have pushed too hard. A small chunk of material came off. I installed the screw and added more material to fill the boo-boo. I kept turning the screw so it would not stick and to also ensure I get good threads.

Went down to the boat and everything fit!
Part.jpg

So I would recommend this stuff. It is solid and easy to work with. For load bearing parts I would really shy away unless one is making a big piece with small mounting holes. Next (but not now) I will fill the screw holes in my mast.

Thanks for listening.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
OK... this project (and thread) are done. I have installed the part back on the boat and it is (sorta, kinda, maybe) like new. After drilling the hole, I tapped but I must have pushed too hard. A small chunk of material came off. I installed the screw and added more material to fill the boo-boo. I kept turning the screw so it would not stick and to also ensure I get good threads.

Went down to the boat and everything fit!
View attachment 157657
So I would recommend this stuff. It is solid and easy to work with. For load bearing parts I would really shy away unless one is making a big piece with small mounting holes. Next (but not now) I will fill the screw holes in my mast.

Thanks for listening.
Could you simply fill the screw holes in your mast with a rivet? Very quick that way.

Feb 17, 2006
Yeah, it is possible. But that mean buying rivets and a rivet gun. LOL. We'll see. :)

Jan 19, 2010
Yeah, it is possible. But that mean buying rivets and a rivet gun. LOL. We'll see. :)
Good point. I already have those but if I didn't I'd probably go with the paste.

Feb 17, 2006
A good tool to have. One day I may put in mast steps. So I guess starting to get the parts now will eventually get me everything I need. Eventually being the operative word.

Jan 19, 2010
Well you can get a rivet tool for less than $20

How much does a tube of Aluminum paste cost?

Feb 17, 2006
I think it was <$10. I don't remember. But wasn't expensive.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Yes but if you are going to buy one, buy a good one. Stainless rivets can be hard to install.

Feb 17, 2006
Wouldn't one use aluminum rivets on an aluminum mast?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Minor issue. Rivets leave a pointy end inside the mast. Lines running up and down the mast can come into contact with said pointy ends and become chafed yet hidden in the mast.:confused: Until they are not.:yikes:

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I finally got and used this Devcon material.
Far superior to JBWeld.
I cleaned the hole thoroughly and installed a new stud with the Devcon. I dry fit the pump and the next day I "glued" it in with the Devcon. After waiting a couple of days I reinstalled the pump, using Permatex Ultra Black gasket maker instead of a gasket sealant which had leaked last time, no doubt also due to the failed old stud.
So far so good.

Thanks for the OP from Brian, and to sailcapt340 for the Devcon. Timely thread for me.

Just another reason to set your viewing on this site to the old style legacy read all the threads view. Ya never know what you'll find and learn! :)

IMG_20181106_133129.jpg

Brian,
I used a two part Steel Putty called Devcon 10110 for a repair to my Mercury 3.5 HP Outboard impeller housing. I'll enclose pictures of the product.
A well meaning friend "helped" me one day when I was changing the impellor and over tightened one of the 4 bolts that hold the top cover and Gasket to the bottom gear housing. Stripped the bolt and cracked the top corner right off.
Hey, guys got one hell of a grip!
As it's part of the lower housing and being a very expensive part to replace I tried this Devcon.
The stuff is "steel" and acts like it.
I packed the threaded hole and reshaped the top corner and waited a week before even touching it.
It drills and taps as if it was built with the lower unit from the factory.
It's been doing it's job for over 10 years, it's a 2000 Mercury Outboard.
I even used it on a friends 340 Auto Pilot engaging handle, behind the wheel. It's a tough spot to get into and it cracked on him at the hole to mount it with a bolt. It's been going strong almost as long.
If all else fails for you try this Devcon. I think it will do the job for you. Read directions carefully, proportions are critical for maximum strength.
I know I bought it a while back and paid about $29, shop around though. Hope this can help you out.
View attachment 157497View attachment 157498