Alternate auxillary power

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Nice adapter but I'm not sure how the engine would work in other than calm protected waters. I think towing the boat with the dink would be more efficient as the stern would not lift as high in the smallish boat.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I think that you will find that towing with a dingy is very inefficient use of the minimal available power. Pushing is much better. I have returned to dock once from 3 miles out when I lost the water pump and helped several others move around the marina without power. I butt the bow of my inflatable with its 2 HP Honda under the swim ladder and tie a couple of lines from the stern cleats to the grab handles on the stern of the dink. if going a short way I drive from the dink while a helper steers the main rudder. When I had to go 3 miles I just revved the outboard and then got into the cockpit and drove until we got close. I was able to make about 4 knots but didn't have current or wind.
If the stern of your boat will not allow the dink to nest into it you can side tie the dink with spring lines and do almost as well.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Brilliant :clap: ! I've got to make an easily stowable copy.

What's with the minor "owie" on the back end ?

Patch.JPG

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Brilliant :clap: ! I've got to make an easily stowable copy.
What's with the minor "owie" on the back end ?
View attachment 141913
That was my bad. I used to approach my stern for boarding when on inflatable dinghy. One time i was on a water taxi and asked it to drop me off stern instead of side, big mistake! I forgot the taxi was a hard dinghy. Bump! Crack! :(

Oct 29, 2005
Yes agree, the obm will spin in air when there's wake. This is last ditch effort if i don't have a dinghy to push. :)

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
@Calif. Ted did this real world.
Used a Honda 2hp, clamped to the swim ladder. Catalina 270.
The diesel had sucked up a plastic bag, or eel grass I can't remember which, and overheated. The cause wasn't immediately apparent, so he came in on the Honda.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
It was middle of the night and raining, dead calm, it took a minute for the boat to start to move then got up to about 3 kts. The air cooled Honda was so noisy woke Skipper up before I got close to the dock.

Gene S

Nov 29, 2015
Delphia 37 Tacoma
Interesting idea. I need to research that. I've always wondered what to do if the engine won't start. I saw a flat transom boat with an outboard motor on a lifting mount once. The owner said it works for storage and he can lower it if the engine won't start.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I have considered that, to the extent that I researched getting an alternate prop for my 15HP Merc to push the boat. I've also considered towing it with the dinghy, same prop issue.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
The problem with towing is that a lot of the power is wasted by the dink moving around in front. If you have ever tried it you will find that you need to do a lot of steering and any time the motor is turned to the side it is not providing thrust to the boat. That is why I always have pushed with the dink made fast to the boat either at stern or side.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
If all else fails...
Looks easily scale-able. Bicycle inner tube and a couple of shovels.

Been in the same jam. Lash the dinghy alongside pulling on the winch and the bow secured to the midship cleat. Nissan 5 horse at 3/4 throttle locked straight ahead. Steering the big boat at 3.8 kts. Have the kill switch tether clipped to the lifeline and the dinghy painter tied on the stern. When we got close to the slip yank the kill switch and cast off the side tie lines and the dinghy follows behind as we coast into our slip letting the dock box stop us (optional). Midship spring line works best.

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
20150531_160803.jpg

I have the same type of setup. The photo is old, the outboard is no longer with me, but the concept is the same. Mount the outboard on the swim step, which serves a couple of things:

1) It's now a trolling motor
2) It works with the autopilot and helm if set to center of the boat (using ropes)
3) It can push the boat in calm waters 3+ knots
4) Can serve to dock the boat if the engine fails.

So, yes, it's an "emergency" backup, but fuel/range is limited.
Now... If the wind is blowing 20 knots, call for help!! But for fishing? :dancing:

BTW: I absolutely applaud the OP for brilliantly thinking IN THE EVENT of an engine failure!!! The guy is thinking "extra" safety for himself and family. Yes, the inboard WILL FAIL eventually.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2005
Ok Kermit, now you've done it! You set me working on in case no wind, and diesel engine fails and obm ran out of fuel....
So source for big rubber bands/bicycle inner tubes and shovels like what Allan mention? hmmm...

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Ok Kermit, now you've done it! You set me working on in case no wind, and diesel engine fails and obm ran out of fuel....
So source for big rubber bands/bicycle inner tubes and shovels like what Allan mention? hmmm...
I’m not an engineer. I just remember waaaay too many things from childhood.