all rope windlass

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
:worthless:
Just a thought, a picture of the windlass would help. I was able to get my windlass rebuilt by Schaefer Marine, they were very helpful. If you contact whoever made your model maybe a spec sheet could help you find a conversion. Basically your looking for a longer shaft with a keyway for both drums.

Edit. So the factory couldn’t supply you with any options?

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I called the factory and they said not for the model I have
In the past Maxwell sold a conversion kit for the Maxwell 500 capstan only. I found out about the kit about 5 years ago and called and was informed that it was discontinued and out of stock.:banghead:

Apr 24, 2020
Hunter Cheribini 37 South Portland
Just a thought, a picture of the windlass would help. I was able to get my windlass rebuilt by Schaefer Marine, they were very helpful. If you contact whoever made your model maybe a spec sheet could help you find a conversion. Basically your looking for a longer shaft with a keyway for both drums.

A rebuilt windlass with trade-in.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA

When I contacted them 5 years ago I was told that it was no longer possible to convert the Maxwell 500. I think that is because they want to sell this $2600 gold plated wonder. Maxwell VW10812V | Fisheries Supply The factory install is a vertical windlass mounted horizontally in the anchor locker. In order to use the nice mounting pads, you need a vertical windlass that does not have a chain-pipe.

Attachments

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
6AD33560-31C0-4E62-B221-D89CB483A093.jpeg
Here’s what Schaefer Marine did for me. What you don’t see is the new motor, but a total rebuild of my Ideal windlass. You would need room in the anchor locker for the additional parts.

We spent a while checking sources for a new windlass and couldn’t find any of the same capacity without a lot of reconfiguration. Ours has the clutch, outside wheel, so we can use one side only. You won’t need that.

Last edited: