“Alden Fiberglass Boats” List

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Alden Caravelle 42 / Northern European waters
Done. An emotional matter, no doubt. She looks terrific - of course.

Aug 4, 2013
Ian,

FYI: Aria, Alden Challenger 949J, has Halmatic Hull Number 1044.

Thanks for your work on all our behalf!

Peter Coburn

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Many thanks, and for your attention to detail Peter! Hope you've had a good season?

Oct 6, 2013
Alden Challenger 38 Portland Maine
Hello Iain,

I recently came across this forum while searching the market for Alden Challengers for sale. It is a terrific resource for Alden owners which I wish we had found years ago. We own "Marguerite", 949-V, ex "Snark" and have sailed with her for some years now out of Falmouth Foreside, ME. Perhaps you can add her to the listing?

Regrettably, we have decided that we must put her up for sale. We are preparing a listing and meanwhile hope that forum members might spread the word and help us find her a good home.

Feel free to contact me with questions at wpoleatewich@gmail.com.

Attachments

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Great to account for another Chalenger Bill, many thanks. 949V entry updated.

Do you have any clue as to her Halmatic and LeComte build numbers?

Iain

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Many thanks Bill. Have you noticed that your moulding and finishing sister 949U, Mohawk has just hoisted signals in Cornwall, England at "General Chat"?

Mohawk

Oct 6, 2013
Alden Challenger Yawl 38 Falmouth area soon Portsmouth
Greetings Bill and Iain
Yes! It looks like our build numbers at Halmatic and Le Compte are sequential with your boat built (in theory) before mine - or certainly numbered earlier. I note she is now a sloop. Was the 'conversion' carried out by yourselves? If so, or if you know more, how was this done to keep the yacht 'in balance' so to speak - without its mizzen? Surely the centre of pressure would move slightly forrard when removed??
What do you know of her history?
I'm virtually 'there' re owning 'Mohawk' (built as 'Prion' in 1960) with final balance of payment and transfer of ownership likely next Monday, Tuesday (25/26 Nov) - so am quite excited even tho' little sailing will be done before next Spring!
Good luck with your sale. What sort of condition is she in?
Best wishes
Jonathan Barker/UK

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Caravelle for sale in Europe

Now there's a rarity: an ALDEN CARAVELLE for sale in Europe.

992R, "BONNIE ANN" (exSarasea, ex Chic), one of the later (1973) "Mark 2" Hodgdon moulded and finished Caravelle sloops, is for sale (and for charter) at Marina Kukljica, Croatia.

Scanty details and poor photos at the Yacht World page, but she looks very much in commission (if a little bow down!)

Click the red BONNIE ANN link here.

(NB: that the non-sailing images at the green, "charter" link there are actually of the Halmatic/Morse yawl, 992H "PEARL"!)

Oct 6, 2013
Alden Challenger 38 Portland Maine
Mohawk said:
Greetings Bill and Iain
Yes! It looks like our build numbers at Halmatic and Le Compte are sequential with your boat built (in theory) before mine - or certainly numbered earlier. I note she is now a sloop. Was the 'conversion' carried out by yourselves? If so, or if you know more, how was this done to keep the yacht 'in balance' so to speak - without its mizzen? Surely the centre of pressure would move slightly forrard when removed??
What do you know of her history?
I'm virtually 'there' re owning 'Mohawk' (built as 'Prion' in 1960) with final balance of payment and transfer of ownership likely next Monday, Tuesday (25/26 Nov) - so am quite excited even tho' little sailing will be done before next Spring!
Good luck with your sale. What sort of condition is she in?
Best wishes
Jonathan Barker/UK
Season Greetings to you, Jonathan,
Congratulations on finalizing your purchase of Mohawk! By experience I can tell you that the Alden Challenger is often the loveliest boat in the harbor and I'm sure you will enjoy her thoroughly. To Iain's and your point about sequential builds, I took a look at the pictures in the listing on Mohawk and your original interior is virtually identical to the original elements in Marguerite.

Regarding Marguerite's present description as a sloop, I've been told that it was done at the hands of a storm, prior to our owning her. In fact, I have segments of the mizzen mast, the original mast base, a complete mizzen boom, spreaders and complete standing rigging, mizzen and mizzen staysail and I'm looking for a suitable spar to replace the mizzen mast.

We've sailed her over the last 15+ years as a sloop. Under full genoa and strong winds, she has quite a weather helm, so we furl the genny or replace it with the jib in early spring and late fall when the wind blows. For the most part, she is perfectly balanced with the main and jib, under all but storm conditions.

I saw your post regarding the propane deck box. Since Marguerite became a bit of a hybrid of old and new treatments before our time, I'll share that we have dual hatches built into the afterdeck and an integral, below deck propane locker that is fully isolated and vented overboard in the starboard locker. You can see these hatches in the photos on the listing at this site http://www.POPYachts.com/View/39618.

It's probably a bit heretical but it works well with a Xintex sniffer/alarm under the stove and remotely controlled propane gas valve in the propane locker. We are always amazed at how much additional space we have below those two deck hatches. We use the starboard locker for the propane and the port for our stern anchor, spare bower and docklines etc. The dorade in the aft deck works perfectly as a location to feed the propane line to our sternrail mounted gas grille. I know, such a tragedy to mount all that stuff in full site on her stern :wink: .

Regarding her condition generally, I'd say it is very good mechanically and electrically and the interior finishes are good as well and have been substantially upgraded over the years. Her wooden spars (mast and boom) and standing rigging are in first class shape from top to bottom. She needs to have who knows how many coats of antifouling stripped (3 different colors can be seen) and an awlgrip job from waterline to toerail, but we've opted to spend time sailing, rather than tackling those projects, other than as needed on an annual maintenance basis.

Best wishes to you and your family and Mohawk and may you all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Bill Poleatewich

Dec 30, 2013
I would like to update the listing for Zephyr, Alden design 959A. It is Deborine Hull No. 1083 by Halmatic Ltd. dated 1961. The current name and since 1982, is Diana. She is currently in Galesville, MD.

J. Frank

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Wonderful, thanks J. Frank. Updated now. Great to account for another of this wonderful group of yachts.

Would you like to post some photos? (No a bother if you'd rather not.)

Mohawk

Oct 6, 2013
Hi Iain

We talked a few months ago re my 'new' Challenger 'Mohawk' previously (and launched as) 'Prion' in 1960, Halmatic & A LeCompte, NL. Well, I've been thinking about changing her current (and fairly recent) name of 'Mohawk' back to her original as 'Prion'. I see in the list that a possible (odd looking in the photos) Challenger possibly 949SS build around '64 was/is called Prion! Has this been proven? How can I check further - if it's possible? My 'Mohawk' ex 'Prion' is definitely 949U. Is there anything to stop me re-naming her back to her original name? Two Challengers with the same name would be unfortunate and I would have to meet the UK Ship Registration Part 1 Rule by having a unique name! Have yet to check this.
Any help welcome as always!
Best
Jon

SKraft

Oct 15, 2010
Ian,

It has come to my attention that Wind Song, Caravelle 992D is for sale out of Dion's Boatyard in Salem, MA. Asking price is $112,500.00. I have been told that she is very, very original.

Haven't touched base in awhile. Bounding Home never went in last season as Anne and I had some major travel plans that didn't include our boat. I raced the Marion to Bermuda Race on a friend's 51' Hinckley (nice boat but the Caravelle would be much easier to sail) and we cruised from Athens to Istanbul in October which was eye opening.

Bounding Home is due to be splashed April 1st. At this rate, they may need a snow plow to get her out of the shed. We had the entire interior revarnished and new laminate applied to the galley and nav table. We are planning a 50th birthday party for her as part of our club's commissioniong celebration. We'll post some photos.

Mohawk

Oct 6, 2013
Hi Iain

Just wanted to update your list as I've finally decided to change my Challenger 38's name 'Mohawk' back to its original, launch name of 'Prion' which I like better. Forgetting the medical associations with this name and relating to its 'proper' meaning of a member of a true sea-bird family of small petrels - the Prions. These are tough little birds which live and prosper mostly around the Southern Ocean - New Zealand, S America and of course South Georgia Island (my one time temp. home!). They are also known as 'Whalebirds' due to their association with surfaced whales I believe. They are smaller and distant cousins of Shearwaters which I greatly admire!

She hasn't been 'marked' with her new (old) name yet but is now officially 'Prion'.

I hope this doesn't cause confusion with 949SS ex 'Steinvora' which built in 1963 is now named 'Prion' as well, as I understand earlier posts? Any thoughts?

All the best for the new season.... Jon/ex 'Mohawk' now 'Prion', England

Attachments

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Sounds great Jon. Done. Thanks for the info on the name - fascinating esp. the South Georgia connection.

Regarding the other Prion, shouldn't be any confusion, especially because different finisher in a non-standard style. Anyway, you can name your boat whatever you want. I must admit that the connection between 949SS 'Steinvora' and the vessel 'Prion' shown at the link at the end of the entry for 9499SS is only a good hunch on my part.

I replied to you on another thread - fascinated to know if I'm right about your Irish shipwright!

Mohawk

Oct 6, 2013
Hi Iain

No, not the same shipwright - ours is Andrew Massey of Irish origin and very competent! He has single-handedly re-built virtually the whole of our cockpit including sub-deck, rear coaming, lower cockpit sides, sole and new teak P and S locker-lids/seats. It hasn't been cheap but I did get £4k off the selling price when I bought her in December last year and we'll have a brand new cockpit to be proud of as we are keen to keep 'Prion' all shipshape and bristol fashion! Not yet complete! Pics to follow..... once I can get them below 256k!
We'll be late launching for our first season as work not completed and we are having a VETUS twin diesel filter plus vacuum gauge fitted so we can foresee any diesel bug or other blockage issues early and switch from one filter to the 'back-up' if required. We felt this most important based on a recommendation from our very particular but useful yacht surveyor - David Cox - thanks David! Engines can often be in use during critical manoeuvres and if it fails...................
Greetings to all fellow Alden followers.... Jon

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Latest updates at the original post:

20 December 2016: had a wee dram to celebrate ten years of creating and maintaining this listing... Over 52300 views!
24 December 2016: major update - fixing or deleting dead links; adding links to relatively new-to-market yachts for sale (highlighted red).
28 December 2016: new intelligence for Challenger 949X, INTEGRITY. She competed in the 2016 Bayview Mackinac Race, and will again in 2017.
28 December 2016: first check-in of Zephyr 959B MAVEN (ex FANNY, ex ZEPHYR), presently for sale at Easton, MD.

Hopefully it should be possible to organise a smooth transition to the new forum...

Iain

EFKEN

Nov 27, 2022
Mariner 40 Orr’s Island
Alden Challenger 949YY found
I found 949YY in a boat shed in Sedgwick, Maine. Same owner for the last 40 years and on the hard for the last 29 years. She had been under a variety of tarps/shrink wrap for about 20 years and now inside a shed for the last 10 years. She needs EVERYTHING redone (Hull paint peeling, varnish peeling, mast paint peeling, mold, systems, keel bolts, etc). However, she does not have 29 years of wear and tear. The wood work was in remarkably good condition. The varnish has all peeled off, but the mahogny is still brown, not grey. Her current name is Desiderata, the original name was Blue Magic and can be read faintly through the paint on the transom. The original color was a light blue, which can be seen where the hull’s white paint is peeling. Just though you would like to know this long missing Alden Challenger is still around!