Albin Marin Vega 27 - Any Owners Input Appreciated

Jun 11, 2021
MacGregor 26M Seattle
There's a 1973 Albin Marin Vega 27 for sale, and I was looking for some opinions on the boat.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Heavy and slow. Built like a tank and as with boats of that era, builders didn't know that they didn't need to build them that heavy. Not my cup of tea but, for others, maybe.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome @Heisenberg to the SBO Forum. A place of ideas shared...

Are you ready for a project? Speaking as an owner of a boat built in 1974, boats are a way to spend your time. Some it will be sailing the waters of the Pacific NW.

Look at the boat with an eye for projects. It will most likely be continuous. That is what makes it worthy of your commitment to the boat.

Have you thought about what you want a boat to do for you? Or are you just asking... does any one own one?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Here are some folks opinions...

I see a 1972 boat is for sale in Anacortes
When I see:
  1. Good headsail inventory with spinnaker.
  2. Main in good shape.
I understand that the sails are well used and likely will need replacement in the near future.

This will be a change in performance from your MacGregor 26M. If your up for such, the design is a solid build. One that if in good shape will get you home from out at sea.

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
Heavy and slow. Built like a tank and as with boats of that era, builders didn't know that they didn't need to build them that heavy. Not my cup of tea but, for others, maybe.
IDK, doesn’t seem that heavy to me with a DLR of only 186. Could likely use a good light air sail inventory with a SAD of only 16. Underwater shape doesn’t look terrible, though keel draft is probably a little shallow (which is why it can fit on a trailer!).

I saw one PHRF of 261 vs the range of 201-216 for Catalina 27, so there must something to the slow part. I think the Vega was designed and built for waters the Catalina 27 shouldn’t be in, though.

I’ve never owned or sailed one, though, and I haven’t gone looking for reviews.

Jun 11, 2021
MacGregor 26M Seattle
Thank you for the replies to the query. This forum is a wealth of knowledge and cooperation amongst like-minded sailors.

My needs are:

1. Trailerable
2. Capable and durable (off-shore preferably)
3. Creature comforts

It seems I'm like a kid in a candy shop with each new prospect that crosses my path as I search the internet for a solution.

Thanks again.

Jun 11, 2021
MacGregor 26M Seattle
Here are some folks opinions...

I see a 1972 boat is for sale in Anacortes
When I see:
  1. Good headsail inventory with spinnaker.
  2. Main in good shape.
I understand that the sails are well used and likely will need replacement in the near future.

This will be a change in performance from your MacGregor 26M. If your up for such, the design is a solid build. One that if in good shape will get you home from out at sea.

Thank you for the sources. Great information.

Jun 11, 2021
MacGregor 26M Seattle
IDK, doesn’t seem that heavy to me with a DLR of only 186. Could likely use a good light air sail inventory with a SAD of only 16. Underwater shape doesn’t look terrible, though keel draft is probably a little shallow (which is why it can fit on a trailer!).

I saw one PHRF of 261 vs the range of 201-216 for Catalina 27, so there must something to the slow part. I think the Vega was designed and built for waters the Catalina 27 shouldn’t be in, though.

I’ve never owned or sailed one, though, and I haven’t gone looking for reviews.
Very good information, thank you. I see a PHRF of 246 listed here for the Albin Vega.

PHRF New England - Handicapping - Base Handicaps

Nov 3, 2018
Cape Dory, Albin 300ms Motorsailer, Vega Baltimore
I had a Vega for 15 years. Loved the boat and the only reason I got rid of it was that SWMBO wanted more “creature comforts” if she was going to go on more trips with me.

I never did any long open ocean passages in her, just coastal cruising from the Chesapeake to the Canadian maritime, 90% of the time single handed.

Things I really liked:
small size and shoal draft means you can tuck her in just about anywhere.
small size and low loads means fittings and dockage are reasonable. You won’t break the bank outfitting her.
small size means sail plan is easily manageable by one person
good size cockpit can easily fit 4-5 for daysailing
robust layup schedule- the glass is pretty thick and no headliners or modular structure means you can reach every part of the hull. You can actually disassemble the entire interior. The deck is cored with a hydrophobic foam and solid wood under fittings.
Will keep going when other boats are headed for the barn. I’ve been caught in some brief but nasty squalls and never thought the boat was the weak link.
when she’s bucking and kicking the small size down below means you won’t be thrown far in the cabin- handholds are always in reach.
She heaves to like a dream.
works well with a wind vane ( I used a pacific light).
Lots of boats and owners out there who have fixed anything needs fixing. In the UK there’s a guy who sells rigging, window sets and all the little bits you might need, it’s called Vega Spares.

Things I didn’t like
Small size means stowage is an issue especially for longer trips. I used hank on sails so sail stowage was always an issue. When single handed on longer trips I slept in the main cabin and used the forepeak for sail stowage.
The galley is not well laid out and the icebox has almost no insulation as built
cockpit seats although long enough are just a tad narrow for a good sleep. Bunks down below are fine.
Limited space for battery bank- you have to keep this boat simple
space for a dinghy can be problematic. I first tried a nesting dinghy but then settled on an inflatable kayak that worked great .
Could be faster

As others have said, first ask yourself what you want to do with the boat, and with who. I think the Vega is great for short to medium coastal cruising trips with a couple or couple and a small child. She can be made to fit for offshore passages but there are some known weak points that should be addressed. For buoy racing, well there are other boats better suited if trophy’s are what your after.

Tom

Dec 14, 2013
Albin Marin Vega 27 Venice
I have an Albin Vega series III since 2011, so I am biased in favour of the boat.
Structural, sturdy keel that protects the rudder, standing height in the main cabin for me (1.74 m), deck stepped mast which can be raised and lowered with a simple system by 2 persons, well protected, self bailing cockpit. Shallow draft (1.2 m). The original engines Albin and Volvo can be switched on with a hand cranking level in case the battery is flat. The width and weight allow for towing with a heavy car. Osmosis is a rare problem.
Weak points: the most important one is the mast support area weakness for which the Vega clubs (check VAGB) offer reinforcement kits; other ones less serious, mentioned in Bluewaterbloats.org and other websites.
I have been sailing from Holland to Italy by sea, and extensively on the Mediterranean Sea, mostly single-handed. For the Mediterranean light summer breeze, I added a gennaker with a sock, which I manage alone easily.
SA/D ratio of 18.6.
In the '70s she detained a record of Atlantic crossing for boats of her size (14 days and some hours), Look for Albin Vega Little My III articles (in Swedish and English).
Plenty of advice and spare parts from the Vega clubs
In short, to me she's an impressive boat for the money.

Marco Baldan
Albin Vega 3339 Spray