AIS Installation

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
you just need 1 power cable and 1 nmea 2000, if you have radar then that's another cable. taken out all the old Raymarine stuff removed 5 cables.
I'm intending to keep the Raymarine tridata...still works, hence the concern for all the wires. Just need to replace the plotter. If I get a Garmin MFD I believe there's a Garmin conversion cable that can connect from the old Raymarine transducer. Way easier to clear the house but also more cost and time.

The challenge is mating older equipment (non NMEA) with new gear.

Attachments

Aug 29, 2016
I ran that cabling through one of the pedestal guard tubing (1-1/4"). I used a piece of coax cable as a snake to pull cables through. And there is still room in that one tube for more.
1. SeaTalkNG network cable
2. 16 gauge duplex power wire for USB plug
3. 16 gauge duplex power wire for MFD
3. Autopilot motor wire (10 or 12 AWG duplex, can't remember)
4. Remote microphone cable
5. NMEA0183 cable (runs to my DSC radio in the cabin).

The only thing I haven't run is radar, but in my case, that will be RayNet cable, which is no more challenging that the SeaTalkNG cable.
That is encouraging! Thanks.

Aug 29, 2016
The SH GX2200 is a NMEA 0183 unit, not NMEA 2000. You’ll need to convert the 0183 to 2000 or upgrade to the GX 6000, which is 2000 compatible.
I just installed the GX 6000. Plugged it into the Raymarine SeaTalkng network and AIS RX came alive on my CP.
Correct. Fortunately the Garmin 1042 MFD has a NMEA 183 port too if I want to connect the SH VHF (nod to Garmin for recognizing compatibility to both NMEA formats). But why bother connecting the VHF to MFD?? As long as there's GPS to VHF to enable the DSC then all good, right?

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Sounds like I best plan to integrate an NMEA 2000 backbone, as I would want to integrate the SH 2200 VHF down below deck, to the MFD (possibly a Garmin 1042), and AIS, and heck, might as well hook up the music (fortunately have a Fusion RA70N) while I'm at it. The most important part would be to have GPS function to the VHF to enable the DSC function. I'll have to draw up a schematic.

Has anyone with a 310 routed ALL these wires through our Edson pedestal?
- cabling for MFD, command mike, USB charger, and radar (might as well run the cable, just in case that's in the future). Where's the narrowest/tightest area? (I've read Curt's post before which is quite helpful...). I see this portion of the job as being potentially quite challenging.
I jammed a lot of cables up our pedestal tubing. Get some electricians lube for pulling wires through conduit. Makes it a lot easier, if a bit messy. Be sure to leave a tag line in there when you’re done, just in case.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
But why bother connecting the VHF to MFD??
If your Garmin can display AIS targets, you can have it pick them up from the GX2200, which receives AIS. Other than AIS, your right, probably no need to do so.
I pointed it out because I was ready to buy the GX2200 for AIS capabilities. Then noticed it only connected via NMEA0183. As 0183 is older tech I want to stay with equipment compatible with 2000. In your case, with the Vesper unit, probably not an issue.

Aug 29, 2016
Well here’s the latest and greatest coming soon in the AIS world...prices....yikes $1300 USD for M1 AIS and $1800 USD AIS/VHF combo...but you know it can be rationalized, because that’s what part of being a boat owner is about...

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
If your Garmin can display AIS targets, you can have it pick them up from the GX2200, which receives AIS. Other than AIS, your right, probably no need to do so.
I pointed it out because I was ready to buy the GX2200 for AIS capabilities. Then noticed it only connected via NMEA0183. As 0183 is older tech I want to stay with equipment compatible with 2000. In your case, with the Vesper unit, probably not an issue.
Not an issue. All you need is the NMEA gateway. NGW-1 | Actisense

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Bernie. With the Cortex, Vesper appears to have captured in a single black box the tools I have sort of cobbled together over the past couple of years and more. Dam. I love innovative ideas.

Will be interesting to see it beyond promotion ware.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The attached came across my desk this afternoon. While it was interned to be a sales brochure, I found it provided some good comparison data for boaters about to upgrade there electronics.

I have redacted all (I think) info that is "Sales Related". Non redacted documents may be available from the poster with presidential dispensation.

Attachments