Air Conditioner on a Hunter 280

Apr 8, 2018
Hunter e33 0 Alexandria
I just bought a 1996 Hunter 280 and would like to install a small A/C Unit. Any advice?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Are you thinking about a window unit or on installed a/c?

I have seen window units installed in the companionway. Not ideal, but certainly a cheap and simple way to put some cool air in the boat.

Finding space to install a compressor, blower and ducting on a 28-footer may be a challenge.

Greg

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I helped a friend install a Wasbato look-a-like on his h280. Compressor is place in a compactment ahead of the seatee, under v-berth. Drilled a thru-hull about 18" above waterline on starboard side. SCW pump mounted at port side compartment and hose runs fore to AC and aft to heads cabinet. Drill a hole to exit cabinet and share thru-hull intake with jabsco intake valve. Mount thermostat at port hanging cabinet facing forward. Cut a hole on port and starboard behind seated on v berth. One for air in and another for air out with flexible duct channeling blower air to vent grille. Finish the air holes with grille. Electrical power cable is a pain to run. It goes via the port compartment to somewhere then to the overhead panel. Hope this gives you some idea to plan your installation.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018
Hunter e33 0 Alexandria
I found a small unit made by Mabru and the dimensions are 13.8 x 7.5 x 9.4. I was thinking of fitting it under the seatee next to the hanging locker. If I could share teh thru-hull used by he jabsco intake, drill a thru-hull above the waterline on the Port side, run the exit air through the hanging locker and put a grille under the seatee it might simplify the installation. One issue that worries me is that the unit is only 4.5K.

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
4.5K is probably too small if you want it to cool the boat in the summer sun.. It would be sufficient to use to sleep after the sun goes down.. Probably would need close to 8-10K BTU for cooling in hot summer sun.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Are you thinking about a window unit or on installed a/c?

I have seen window units installed in the companionway. Not ideal, but certainly a cheap and simple way to put some cool air in the boat.

Finding space to install a compressor, blower and ducting on a 28-footer may be a challenge.

Greg
Here.
While slightly inconvenient, with having to move it and step over it, the near zero cost and installation headache greatly outweigh that. Especially on a smaller boat where a window unit will be effective.

You only need it 4 months a year.

When I was in the hot (Annapolis), I used the smallest of window units in the companionway. And mine is 30 feet. Put the hatch boards on top of it, a crate under the back of it in the cockpit, towels around the edges. On 95 degree humid days, was 78 inside. Took an hour to get there, but maintained cool and dry inside. Nighttime was even more bliss, even during the hottest times.
Hint: I left the forward (screened) top hatch cracked to let hot air out and improve circulation, plus a small fan forward to assist.

Also canvassing goes a long way to cooling the interior. Drape a tarp over the boom, cover the top of the cabin as much as possible. Shade is your friend in the fight against heat.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018
Hunter e33 0 Alexandria
Did not consider the window units on the companionway. Will give it a thought. Do you have any pictures of how you did it?

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Did not consider the window units on the companionway. Will give it a thought. Do you have any pictures of how you did it?
See below.
The rear of the unit sits on a plastic tub just low enough to tilt the unit back towards the cockpit to drain condensation. I don't have a bridge deck (other pic).
It's not gorgeous, but it was $100, takes 3 minutes to install, and it works. Remember, only 4 months a year.
The unit stowed in the quarter berth. It lived in the garage during the other 8 months.
This is of course only usable dockside.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Myself and a friend installed a 12,000 btu Mermaid in our O'day 272 LE.....I can't recall why I chose Mermaid originally, but I've been very happy with the Mermaid quality & installation.....I corresponded a lot with one of the Mermaid sales people who had installed Mermaids on two different very large clipper ships in south Florida but the install has been fine and I would do it the same way again w/1 issue, i.e. considering the issue (s) of the shallow bilge and available space for the 6 inch duct-work. ....after the fact I found out that the Mermaid rep and President of the company had numerous questions on access, etc. for the ductwork so they spoke at length with the folks at O'day (last of the few) but in the end there has only been one issue and that is the shallow bilge and also how to get around the shallow bilge....and where to come thru the interior bulkheads with ductwork and grilles on both the starboard and port sides into the main salon ...i.e. with the unit itself under the v-berth insert....I sometimes have had trouble getting conditioned air to the unit under the v-berth but if I do what I need to do, which is to provide open space for the conditioned air to reach the compressor, it all works fine.....the one thing I would change is I would buy a 15,000 btu unit vs. the 12,000 everyone thought would be perfect. The fact is the summer I installed it was hotter than heck here in Kansas...days upon days of 100 plus heat and truth be told I would now install a 15,000........the dimensions of the unit were identical and the cost difference was minimal...Good luck to you and please let me know if you have any further concerns or questions. Patrick in Wichita