Aground!

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Harry Asbury

All of the above

If you spend any time on the water you will find bottom.

R

Ralph McGraw

She Did It!!

Our first year sailing last year. My 23' Hunter is moored approx 200' off shore. Water very shallow. Depth of water at mooring 4-5 ft. We had been motoring off the mooring for a month or so. Wind was coming in one day giving us an opprotune time to try sailing off of mooring. Not a lot of leeway but we will give it a shot. Going to try a starboard tack. I'm handling the mooring line. My wife is at the helm. Boat is just about in position and I start walking the line back as fast as I can to build up a little headway. Off we go. Nope. A little wind shift and we are sailing parallel to the shore line. Not good because it gets shallower and a little rocky. Thud. Keel hits the bottom. 27" draft with the hunter 23. My wife moves to the motor and drops it into position and starts it. First pull. What a heck of a matey I have there. But not soon enough. Wouldn't you know that in those few seconds. Our, so call, friends both sides of us are outside. At least 300 feet away. Never fails. So I just blame it on the helmsman. They understand. LOL. We haven't tried sailing off the mooring since. But maybe this year.

R

Robin Mc leroy

Walking Under theI ran aground in Tampa Bay Water

I ran aground in Tampa Bay coming out of the channel after coming under the I 275 cause way bridge. I cut North too quick. I took my anchor to the stern then put on my snorkel went in the water picked up the anchor and walked as far as I could hold my breath surfaced and went down again. I did this several times then got back aboard and wenched her off. Next time I'll float the anchor out on a PFD. Live and try to learn.

D

Dana Smith

No Tides

We tend to get stuck up here in the Great Lakes without tides. I appreciate what you coast people must go through.

T

Tracy

Haste makes waste...

While motoring toward my overnight anchorage on an extended trip, I misread the opening between 2 jetties and, in the dark of night, discovered how well-made my Hunter 25 really is. I struck the jetty about a foot below the waterline at 4 knots and over a half-mile from shore. After a moment of extreme panic, I recovered and made my way to my anchorage. Much to my surprise, there was not a drop in the bilge. Hours later, I was still pleasantly surprised to find the bilge bone-dry. In the morning, we found a section about 6x8 inches that was crushed. To make a long story short... take your time and be double careful after dark.

J

Jim Sharow

Size does matter

We have been cruising for over 15 years in the Apostle Islands with our Catalina 30, originally with a pair of 13# Danforth anchors. One morning about 10 years ago, while anchored in Presque Isle Bay at Stockton Island, the wind piped up to about 25 from the South, which makes the bay as a lee shore. Waves quickly built to 2 to 4 feet, but the boat was riding well and we weren't in a hurry to pick up anchor and leave for a more protected anchorage in Julian Bay until breaakfast was done. Suddenly I realized that through the cabin windows I could see the mast of a neighboring boat going "by" us at a fairly good rate. I popped my head out of the companionway hatch to see what was going on and realized their anchor was still out and there was no activity on deck. It wasn't the other boat- we were dragging anchor- and within 1 or 2 minutes would be on the beach! Needless to say, the engine was started and fortunately we got underway before the keel touched the sand bottom. So, what happened? When the anchor came up over the side, there was a small round sandstone rock stuck between the flukes. The bottom in this bay is a soft sand, mixed in places with widely scattered, buried small rocks. The rock had caused the flukes to come to the surface of the sand and start dragging. The next year I replaced my primary anchor with a 22# anchor that just fits into the storage compartment. In 10 years of cruising I've never had a repeat experience with a dragging anchor.

D

Don H.

Fatigue and poor navigation

Five years ago, returning from sailing in the Gulf of Mexico, I tried to cut across the Houston Ship Channel at my routine crossing point. Barge traffic was heavy and it was 2300 hours. I was exhausted. I paid more attention to the barge traffic instead of my GPS waypoints. I missed my crossing point by 3/4 of a mile and went aground in the mud. I spent 9 hours grounded until the tide came in and I was able to motor off. It was an unpleasant experience, but no damage was done and I avoided getting hit by a barge.

C

Charlie T.

Swing Keel better in Barnegat Bay?

Jamie, I'll be the new kid on the block sailing Barnegat Bay real soon in "first boat". Looking at a couple of keel options suited for Barnegat Bay. Will probably go out of Mariners Marina in Barnegat. Is a swing keel the way to go? And is 3 feet the max for that area? Also, I'll definitely stop to help you, and I hope you return the favor.

J

Joe D

To Charlie

Welcome to Mariner's Marina. I have my C30 there. I have a wing keel 3'10" draft. I haven't had a problem yet. Some 32 footers last week were running aground in the channel just after pulling out of their slip. What size boat are you looking at? Joe D "Banana Wind"

C

Charlie T

Right boat for Barnegat

Joe, I'm looking for something for the bay and also to take through the inlet and perhaps to A.C. My wife is a bit prone to seasickness, so she'll want to stay in the bay, but I'd like to go outside a bit. I thought a 25 - 28 foot boat would do. However, I'm thinking about solo sails, as well. I'm partial to Hunters and Catalinas. I'm doing NJ Sailing School in a few weeks (Point Pleasant).

R

Robert W. Bonney

Just last Week

Last week I took a five day trip from Mandeville (north of New Orleans) out into the Gulf and over to Ship Island, a small island about 10 miles off the coast of Gulfport, MS. There was two other boats on the trip with me. We got there, anchored up for the night. We spent all the next day ashore. Late that afternoon, a weather alert was released for an approaching cold front. It was not due to arrive until late afternoon the next day. Since we were anchored on the north side of the island, we didn't want to be around when it arrived. We decided to spend the night and pull out early the next morning. Well, the weather report was wrong by more than 12 hours. By 4:00 in the morning, the wind was blowing hard out of the due north. Our boats were getting rocked around quite a bit. About 5:30, one of the other boats broke free from its anchor and hit my boat. He got tangled in my anchor line and we ended up having to cut the anchor loose. When we did, the current quickly pushed me into shallow water and grounded me hard. The wavers were pounding us pretty good, but I couldn't motor off against the current. The boat that hit me still had my anchor line wrapped around his prop. The captain had to dive under his boat in those conditions and cut it free. Once he was free, he then threw me a line and pulled me off the sand bar. Once free, we just kept on going until we were out of the way of the storm and in much calmer waters. Luckily, my damage was minimal. I had one broken stanchion and a couple of scratches. I learned a lot of good lessons that morning and hopefully can avoid that type of situation in the future.

J

Joe D

Barnegat Boats/Charlie

Charlie, Have you seen the brokerage boats on sale at Mariner's? They seem to have a fair amount in the size you are interested in. Joe

R

ralph

try a watkins 25

watkins makes a quality pocket cruiser, most folks dont know about them . mine is a shoal draft inboard diesel , ballast encapsulated in keel {no bolts to wory about} enclosed head, 40 gals water, 20 fuel , decent storage. want to know more contact used boat magazine .com or email me at rfamu88046@aol.com sail new york harbor long island sound to connect. no problem.just watch your window what ever you buy. know your limits.

N

Ned Strain

North Channel

Started with us oversleeping - you know when the pressure's on and you're trying to speed up everything, that's the time we all make mistakes, right? Well Tani was at the helm and we were trying to get underway from our anchorage as quickly as possible - so rather than checking the charts, we followed a powerboat out of the cove. Yup, we had more draft than the powerboat and hit a submerged island so hard that I was thrown up in the air and my butt landed on a stanchion. (I was keeping watch from the bow.) After trying the motor in all directions, painfully hoisting and dropping the sails, and rocking the boat, we realized that we were pretty well stuck. Put an anchor in the dinghy and rowed as far as the line would allow, dumped the anchor, returned to the boat, and proceeded to kedge us off the rock. When we returned the boat, the charter operator sent a diver down to inspect the damage. I fully expected to never see our damage deposit again. Thank goodness we had chartered an older rock-solid Hunter - upon the diver's surfacing we were greeted with "Just a little bottom paint flaked off - no problem." Ned and Tani Strain s/v Family Therapy 1995 h336 Chicago

P

Paul Akers

Beside the Channel Marker on Shelter Island, NY

In West Neck Harbor, Shelter Island, Long Island, NY. We just weighed anchor and I was stowing it. Told my wife to head for a red marker and we would follow the reds out. Suddenly, bump, bump and stuck in the soft bottom. Started to kedge out when a local sailed by and said to kedge toward the greens. I kedged that way and slipped into 15' of water. No damage except for ego. Gave me a good story to tell. I have since found out that there is a rise in the bottom and many people have done the same thing.

S

Steve Weinstein

Making Lemonade out of Lemonx

Although I've "bumped" from time to time, two instances come to mind. The first was 20 years ago, at anchor, in a small cove. We had anchored for the evening and were well asleep when I was startled awake by a loud thump. THE LEMON: I stuck my head out of the hatch but didn't see anything. 10 minutes later, another thump. Again, nothing in view. About a half hour later (and numerous thumps) I noticed the boat was very still and had a distinct heel angle. All four of us got up and went over the side to hopefully push us into deep water. No Go. Back to sleep, in the "V" angle created by the hull and the berth. About 7:30 that morning, we woke up to the boat completely heeled over. Sticking my head out of the hatch I saw the anchor rode lying in the mud, all the way out (about 40 ft.) to the anchor, also exposed and lying in the mud. THE LEMONADE: We unhooked the BBQ from the rail, set in in the sand, made breakfast on the beach and drank Bloody Mary's that morning until the boat floated free. The second time was coming into a marina in Bridgeport, Ct. in company with another boat. We had called for slip reservations since our preferred anchorage was way too bouncy with the prevailing wind. Having planned on being on the hook we had brought BBQ food - steaks, corn,etc.THE LEMON: Approaching the fuel dock at about 4 kts., the boat suddenly lurched to a halt. In a 2-acre harbor I managed to find the one shoal area about 100 yds from the fuel dock. I never thought to check the chart for listed depths "Inside" the dock area. In any event, our friends made it in without incident but, being at a slip could only cook spagetti on the stove - no BBQ fires at the slip, and no shoreside BBQs for use. THE LEMONADE: We, on the other hand, decided to wait for the rising tide later that evening and in the meantime thoroughly enjoyed our steaks, corn and champaigne.

D

Don Bodemann

Barnegat boat for Charlie!

Charlie, I know of a nice boat you may be interested in. Write me at sailbode@gis.net Don

C

Charlie T

Buying a boat for Barnegat

I'm going to wait until after my sailing lessons. I'm learning so much from this site about potential problems - gelcoat, props, head odors, the list goes on. I'll try to buy the newest boat I can afford. Seems like prior to 1990 is like a used car with ample mileage. I don't want to spend my limited time working on the boat rather than sailing. Unfortunately, I still have to work 8 years, 9 months and 3 days.

K

Ken Bay

Racing

I've managed it a couple of times while racing. The way I figger it, if you haven't run aground in a few years of racing, you just ain't trying hard enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.