Aground!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SailboatOwners.com

OK, it's 'fess up time. Are a sailor who has run aground, or a sailor who is going to run aground? If you already have, were you at anchor when the tide dropped out from under you? Did you drag or swing into an unexpectedly shallow area? If you were under way, were you in unfamiliar waters and get an unpleasant surprise? Or perhaps most embarrassing, were you in home waters and not paying attention? How did you get back afloat? How did you feel and how has the experience made you a better sailor? Share the story of your time on the hard and be sure to vote in this week's Quick Quiz at the bottom of the home page. (Quiz contributed by Gary Wyngarden)

R

Rob

Forgive me Father, I have run aground...

On the very first outing in my C-27, under power, I ran aground right in front of my marina. I can claim that the PO should have had a depth meter on the boat, but I'm the one who left the dock knowing there was no depth meter aboard. A week later, we grounded again, and were stuck for 45 minutes. The PO was with us this time. We could not kedge off due to the conditions, so we had to raise the mainsail and rock the boat over, effectively sliding her off of the submerged island. I should mention that we sail on a lake that can vary its elevation by 40 feet in a year, and that I installed a fishfinder the week after the last grounding. So far, we have been okay! Rob

P

Paul

Bumped across a sand bar for a mile

Traveling about 2 miles off shore just past the Sand Head light station, I started feeling gentle bumps. According to my charts and GPS I should have been well clear of the sandbanks but the damm things tend to move a bit. For almost a mile , we repeated bumped the bottom as we slowly headed for deeper water. It didn't do any damage but it sure was embarrassing. My depth sounder had been working the week before but that morning it would not come on. Not to worry, I said, we'll stay well offshore..no problem.

R

Richard R. Armstrong

grounding out!

I have, as a matter of fact, run aground under all of the above described conditions, and a few others not mentioned. The first time I ever had my boat in salt water, I ran aground on a fresh spoil area in the middle of Mobile Bay on Thanksgiving Day in stormy conditions. It was a rude surprise for me, and cause for much distress for my wife, an inland girl and not too comfortable on the water. The nice thing about our boats and their swing keel is that a few turns of the winch crank gets you clear and sailing again.

A

Artemis

Totally Stuck

I have had the unfornate experience of hitting the bottom in Puket, Thailand where they have a significant tide difference. At low tide the boat was left lying on here side on the sand. by mid tide 5-6 hours later we were afloat again. It was an experience I would like to repeat. Shallow unmakerd tidal harbour entries in 3rd world countries always is a very testing experience for any navigator.

M

Mark

turning at the wrong moment

My grounding happened during a simple manouvre turning into the harbor channel of my homeport. Nice weather, good visibility and a tired sailor. It was a simple Left on Red returning.

B

Brad Newell

Who, me?

I once flew with an airline captain, a long-time sailor, who told me that he had never been aground. I promptly wondered what else he had been lying about to me. I learned to sail on the Columbia River and had never run aground - until I bought a depth sounder. I think we ran aground the next day. If you never run aground, you aren't doing any serious exploring. I've been aground in places over a third of the world. With the exception of a couple of times on the Columbia, when I had to wait for the tide, I've always been able to work myself free. Fin keels are pretty easy. You just put the helm over, open the throttle, and drive out the way you came in. The trick is to choose the places where you are willing to let yourself go aground.

H

Howard Zwicker

Aground and Boarded by the Coast Guard

I ran aground in the Elizabeth River, Norfolk, Va., in 1989 on a return trip from Florida to NJ. (Got hung up on the edge of the channel while looking at my chart instead of the channel markers.) It happened as the tide was going out in the morning, just after we had gotten under way. My one crewman and I tried all the tricks (pushing off with a pole, rafting out an anchor, etc.) but with no success). Finally, I hailed a passing Coast Guard cutter, asked them to throw me some wake or a tow line, but they refused. "We're not in the salvage business," they said. They offerd to send a salvage boat my way, but I wanted no part of that. Then they decided to board and inspect my vessel. "All passengers and crew proceed to the rear of the vessel," they demanded through a bull-horn. Then they stormed my boat, automatic weapons at the ready, upside-down daggers hanging from their flak jackets. While one of them kept an eye on me and my mate, the rest of them rampaged all over the boat looking for contraband and safety violations. Finding none, they abandoned us there to our fate, which was to wait until the tide went all the way out and them came all the way back in. At high tide, nearly eight hours later, we drifted free. Needless to say, we didn't sail very far that day.

C

Charlie "Kestrel"

In the rocks

My grounding wasn't really aground. What happened was I sialed a little to close to a very small harbor island and at mid tide thought I was well clear. Then the keel started bouncing over the rocks. It makes an unforgetable noise. As I progressed into the rocks the keel settled into a space between rocks and stopped the boat dead. We then started spinning like a top. I freed the sheets and jumped below and as mentioned before cranked the keel up a few feet, sheeted in and sailed away on the oppisite tack. Luckily no damage except some chuncks out of my newly refinished keel. I stay away from that part of the harbor now.

K

Ken

Run Aground-Alot

Because we sail in So. Florida most of trhe time we go agound it doesn.t matter. We have on occasion hit hard and would prefer not to do that. We have been pulled off of sand or dead coral twice but most of the tome we work our way out. If you worry about running agound you take your sailing way to serious. Relax and enjoy the ride. Investigate new territory and see what is out there.

M

Maeve McMenomey

ICW Nightmare

After a long day off shore, on our usual fall southbound trek down the east coast, we pulled into St. Mary's inlet to anchor for the night off Fernandina Beach, Florida. About 4:00 am, a blinking search light in our porthole woke us both. Jumped into the cockpit and this A....hole in another anchored boat started to scream that we were dragging, getting too close, etc. Checked the lines, we weren't dragging. Told the boater we would be leaving at first light, that we would sit up and anchor watch till then. Continous harrasment from this guy, and after being called all kinds of names and his searchlight flashing at us,(actually circling us in his dinghy - all the time raving!!) we finally took up anchor before light and headed southbound down the ICW. Darkness caused the markers to look confusing. As we were studying the chart, boom! Hard aground. Since we had left in such an abrupt angry state, we failed to check tide tables, and we were just one hour after high tide - the worst time to run aground. Tried everything possible to get off but the tide was receding too fast. We sat there all day waiting for incoming tide - high and dry, in full view of all the cruisers going by. what a nightmare! Finally pulled off by Towboat US, (great guy and yes,we have a contract). Never, never will we cruise the ICW at night, and never allow nut cases to force us to take unnecessary risks.

W

William Fraser

everyone does it

In South Texas there are two types of sailors. Those who have run aground at one time or another,,,,,,,,and those who lie about it. Running aground will happen to every sailor at one time or another. Preferentially, the best time for it to happen is in, calm conditions where you can back out or turn the boat and power off. If you're in hard rock country in the northeast, then its going to hurt,,,,alot. Watch your coastal navigation and use your GPS. Fraser

C

Chris Bork

Local Knowledge

When I first moved to northwest Ohio, about 10 years ago, I was unfamiliar with marinas. I chose one that was close, not too expensive and a family-run operation. I explained that my boat drew 4'2". They said "No problem" and did explain that the channel sometimes "silts in". They also assured me that if I got stuck they'd come tow me off. That season there were few times that we didn't run aground. We became very competent at kedging, heeling and calling for a tow. Suffice to say, our sailing wasn't as much fun as it could have been. Labor Day weekend we experienced our first seiche. A seiche is similar to a tidal change but is caused by the wind. While we were sailing we had great fun in the freshening conditions. When it came time to enter the channel we ran aground 100 meters further out than we ever had. We did our best and would free ourselves only to run aground again further up the channel. (We had no depth sounder.) Finally we asked a power boater if he would sound the channel for us. When we heard "3 feet", we knew there was no way we'd be able to get in. Fortunately I had crewed on other boats that were in a deep water marina less than 5 miles away. After freeing ourselves we sailed there and took a transient slip. When we explained what had happened to the dockmaster he informed us that we'd experienced a seiche and that they were common in the fall. Needless to say we decided to spend the extra time and money for deep water. We docked there for five seasons. Whenever someone talks about running aground or kedging my wife groans and says she doesn't miss that drill! She's glad our "new" boat draws 3'6". Fair Winds! Chris Bork Hunter 26.5 "Christienne"

R

Ralph Milite

Thats why I love my swing keel

You can't explore without running aground

G

Geof Tillotson

Those who have, and those who will

Yes, I've been aground a few times, some we knew were going to happen and some were suprises. When you grow up sailing on the south side of Cape Cod you get used to a little sand under the keel now and again. Hopefully you are aware that it will happen and aren't honking along at the time. I've/we've never been stuck fast, always able to sail, power, motor or kedge off the bar, but it is interesting. I once helped as the "dock crew" for a boat that raced seriously it was about 45 feet long and a total racing machine. Since it had no auxilary power it needed to be sailed or towed in and out of the harbor. Depending on the tide we would sometimes brush the bottom, only once did we need a tow that I recall. It's an interesting trick to heel a boat as hard as possible to get over a known shallow spot. My most recent experience being aground was with my brother-and-law in Falmouth Ma. There harbors are notoriously shallow and their mooring was deep in the mooring field. We were just about to release the mooring when the boat swung with the breeze and stuck, on the mooring no less. We got it off by jumping overboard and literally shouldering it up over the low spot with the engine on. Needless to say those shoes never smelled the same again.

J

John Kester

run aground

I ran aground in 1976 in the intracoastal waterway near Currittuck Sound on a 42 ft Owens Aruba. we bent one shaft and it took about 3 hours to pull ourselves off. Luckily we were near a fishing village and it only cost 300.00 bucks for the repair and one day of down time. Regards John Kester

B

Bob Townsend

"Pause" to orient

Sailing NC, people say that it isn't a question of "if" you run aground, but when! The good thing is that most all we have is mud, so that ground isn't bad. Also, NC waters redefine the importance of the card that you "don't leave home without it" card -Tow Boat US or equivalent. One tow pays for 5-6 years of the card. Our experiences in NC are such that we say that we are just "pausing" to check the chart. Makes for interesting conversation in the marina. Our first was in Beaufort/Moreheard City. When you pass under the bridge, Northbound, you have a choice of 3 channels, (Nautical Price is right); the first time I didn't have the chart out, and ....... we paused to check the chart!

S

Steve Hall

Yesterday

We went aground yesterday while returning to port in St. Andrews Bay. It was a light grounding and we were able to get free by having everyone shift their weight to the port side. My little 9.9 Johnson was able to reverse us out without incident. Whew! Steve Hall S/V Helen Highwater

B

Bob Brooks

Mud Magnet

Heading up to Norfolk with two long time sailing buddies on "Satisfaction", my H33, we reached Currituck Sound from the Southern end. As we entered the channel the alarm started to sound off. We were well INSIDE the channel. Even though we were proceding very slowly it wasn't long before we ran aground...three times!!! The third time, as we were looking forward at a nearby channel marker to guage our progress, we noticed this loud "chunka chunka...chunka...chunka which informed us that we were also winding up the dinghy's Painter. All three of us turned around just in time to see the rigid dinghy (with motor attached) being pulled under our sailboat at a rate of two feet per "chunka". Just before going under, the painter (tow rope) was severed by the prop. The dinghy went airborn about four feet, crashed right side up on the water and came to rest on a little beach four hundred yards of cold water away. "Well, Marty" Joe and I said as we turned to crew member Marty Keesecker. At age 52, Marty is a bit "geezerfied" to still be an active surfer...but he is. "Seeing as how cold water never has bothered you while in pursuit of a big wave...we need our dinghy back and it looks like you're the man"!!! When we returned home Marty said I should re-name my sailboat the "Mud Magnet"!

K

Ken Little

Oh Yeah ... That's Little Out there.

While I haven't done it recently, my first two years sailing I ran aground once each year. Once coming into a harbor I was unfamiliar with, I thought I could slide in through an area not marked. Put the two young men on the bow and told them to tell me if they saw anything. Well they were up there discussing the crabs running they saw along the bottom when I hit the hard. Luckily it was sand and low tide, and I just waited it out. The other time was going up a river heading for my marina. I had checked the charts throughly, had plenty of depth throughout the river, well except for one 7 foot high underwater spire. Yep, the river currents set me up on that spire, ended up calling the CG, they tied up with me and their depth showed 15 feet. I have 5+ draft and sat there like a dummy. Was my first year sailing and it was snowing, it was midnight, and it scared the ... well it had me scared. As it was, it was a good lesson, one I hope not to have to repeat anytime soon Ken S/V Tameye Falmouth Foreside, ME.

Status
Not open for further replies.