AGM Batteries - Making The Choice

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Thanks Maine for the excellent analysis and references. I had gel cells on a previous boat and got good service from them. Five years ago When I was replacing flooded batteries on my new to me boat, I thought that AGMs would be a step up in reliability & service. Was also concerned about less gassing as the batteries are located in an unvented compartment under the aft berth as configured by Beneteau. Will have to reconsider when I need to replace the present batteries. I really don't want to spend $1800+ for a high quality AGM bank that consists of 4 group 31 house bank and a group 27 starter battery. Might have to reconsider gels again.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
This is all great info. I’m guilty of murdering batteries also, and after one expensive experience of murdering AGMs after 3 years, decided to buy Kirkland FLA deep cycle batts at Costco. They seem to last about 4-5 years for me. My boat uses 5 group 24 batts which are approximately $70 each (last time, and might have been less after core refunds)
My boat is on a mooring, and I often leave the fridge running 24/7 which works out fine on clear days, the solar array keeps up - but not if we have overcast weather which results in PSOC (often weeks at a time). If I know I’ll be away for 5 days + I shut off the fridge and bring anything home that would spoil. Then I come back to 100% SOC.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Was also concerned about less gassing as the batteries are located in an unvented compartment under the aft berth as configured by Beneteau.
Is this a real concern? I have a 750 a/h wet cell bank (used to be 900 a/h) under my bed. Been living aboard for over 6 years full time. Other than the extra eye that has grown on my forehead, I've seen no issues. This is an Endeavour 42 built in 1985. There are thousands and thousands of boats with similar configs and I've only seen theoretical issues raised. Granted, if the bank goes boom, I'll finally get some action in bed. Otherwise...
Is this much ado about nothing?

Jun 14, 2010
Is this a real concern? I have a 750 a/h wet cell bank (used to be 900 a/h) under my bed. Been living aboard for over 6 years full time. Other than the extra eye that has grown on my forehead, I've seen no issues. This is an Endeavour 42 built in 1985. There are thousands and thousands of boats with similar configs and I've only seen theoretical issues raised. Granted, if the bank goes boom, I'll finally get some action in bed. Otherwise...
Is this much ado about nothing?
Yes hydrogen gas is HIGHLY explosive. Enough concentration, and a spark, then boom.

Unlike LP or CNG, there is no odor. It rises, so the vents need to allow it to rise.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
"Enough concentration". How much is too much?

How many 'booms' have been reported from battery off-gassing (not from plate defects)?

Are there setups with absolutely zero ventilation?

Jun 14, 2010
"Enough concentration". How much is too much?

How many 'booms' have been reported from battery off-gassing (not from plate defects)?

Are there setups with absolutely zero ventilation?
Google the explosive concentration. I think your situation all depends on how aggressively your system can charge your battery bank, and that’s what causes outgassing. I don’t know how to define “safe”.

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 50 Seattle
The lower limit of flammability is 4% concentration, which is a lot. Hydrogen gas is much lighter than air and a very small molecule that's difficult to contain. Unless you put the batteries in a tightly sealed compartment, it's virtually impossible to achieve the minimum flammability concentration.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
The lower limit of flammability is 4% concentration, which is a lot. Hydrogen gas is much lighter than air and a very small molecule that's difficult to contain. Unless you put the batteries in a tightly sealed compartment, it's virtually impossible to achieve the minimum flammability concentration.
Which is likely why we don't hear about it.
usually the discussion revolves around corrosion from the gasses and poison for people breathing it.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The concern is that FLA’s gas off, need regular watering and are open vented. Depending on the size of the bank and the load there can be a lot of gassing and acid spew. So people put them in battery boxes to contain the corrosive acid damage while also containing hydrogen gas. On boats a FLA typically gets installed down low, maybe in the bilge. If flooded with sea water those open battery caps will allow the battery to start gassing Chlorine. Plenty of people use FLA and most are just fine. I wouldn’t sleep on top of any battery install.

Apr 11, 2018
MOODY 33 mk1 Stonington ME
Big fan of maine sail!

I am wrestling with how to approach my charging. I originally was planing on buying two 6v gulfcart and using my Mitsubishi 50a dumb regulated alt. (from a westerbeke w-27, I believe you are well acquainted) and supplementing with solar to top off at the morring. I live by the saying "keep it simple stuped"

My plans went amiss when I was poking around Mardens and stumbled on a pallet of brand new Exide MC-31 agm-200 for 80 bucks a pop. Ended up buying 3.

Now I have acquired a charging problem along with some batteries.

Being cheap and broke its hard to pull the trigger on 700-900$ on a new alternator and external regulator. And would rather not put that extra demand on my diesel.

Will I hurt the battery bank (overcharge) if i continue with the stalk altinator and instead invested in a 200 or 300 watt solar system to top off the batteries.

I am intending on about 2 week coastal cruising. And i end up motoring a fair amount around the islands of penobscot. will the 50a over charge the batteries if I motor to long?

Im at the point were i may just sell the agms and go back to my original plan with the gulf carts.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Big fan of maine sail!

I am wrestling with how to approach my charging. I originally was planing on buying two 6v gulfcart and using my Mitsubishi 50a dumb regulated alt. (from a westerbeke w-27, I believe you are well acquainted) and supplementing with solar to top off at the morring. I live by the saying "keep it simple stuped"

My plans went amiss when I was poking around Mardens and stumbled on a pallet of brand new Exide MC-31 agm-200 for 80 bucks a pop. Ended up buying 3.

Now I have acquired a charging problem along with some batteries.

Being cheap and broke its hard to pull the trigger on 700-900$ on a new alternator and external regulator. And would rather not put that extra demand on my diesel.

Will I hurt the battery bank (overcharge) if i continue with the stalk altinator and instead invested in a 200 or 300 watt solar system to top off the batteries.

I am intending on about 2 week coastal cruising. And i end up motoring a fair amount around the islands of penobscot. will the 50a over charge the batteries if I motor to long?

Im at the point were i may just sell the agms and go back to my original plan with the gulf carts.
If anything it will under charge your bank during partial state of charge use.. Those Mitsubishi alts have a pretty strong voltage gradient, like the Hitachi's do, and they reduce voltage they heat up making it tough to really charge AGM's adequately.

The batteries were $80 bucks each, and are not a premium deep-cycle AGM, so if you ruin them, not a huge deal. You don't have to spend $700.00+ to get better charging. There are now plenty of options to get into a premium quality Balmar regulator and an externally regulated alternator in the $600.00 range.

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 380 Los Angeles
The only explosion of a lead acid battery that I am directly aware of happened to myself when I had an alternator go bad on my car many years ago. The battery boiled out almost entirely. I called AAA for help. I told the driver of the tow vehicle not to attach jumpers but instead bring battery (distilled water) so I could drive the vehicle home, a distance of about 1 mile. Instead he tried to jump a nearly empty battery that promptly went BOOM!!!!!!:banghead:

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
The only explosion of a lead acid battery that I am directly aware of happened to myself when I had an alternator go bad on my car many years ago. The battery boiled out almost entirely. I called AAA for help. I told the driver of the tow vehicle not to attach jumpers but instead bring battery (distilled water) so I could drive the vehicle home, a distance of about 1 mile. Instead he tried to jump a nearly empty battery that promptly went BOOM!!!!!!:banghead:
This happened a few years ago. Automotive charger on a marine battery. Boat was very heavily damaged by acid & luckily no-one on-board at the time.....

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Why is care needed around batteries? Because the boiling battery is venting Hydrogen Gas.

Hydrogen gas and normal air can ignite at as low as 4% air 96% Hydrogen due to the oxygen in the air and the simplicity and chemical properties of the reaction. Fortunately the hydrogen dissipates quickly. But when captured in an enclosed container then the fun can begin.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
Hydrogen gas and normal air can ignite at as low as 4% air 96% Hydrogen
It is the opposite concentration (4% Hydrogen/96% Air).
If we want to split the hair, the 4% concentration can ignite, but for an explosion, you need 18%, which still is pretty low.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My bad. Sometimes my brain speaks faster then my hands can type...
It is still a an issues to be of concern for boaters particularly when the components Fuel (Hydrogen) Oxidizer (Oxygen) and Ignition source (think about it... electrical spark etc) are potentially present.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Low self discharge - This is great for boats in hot climates or on moorings. Wets can self discharge at up to 13+% per month in warm weather however I know few boaters who go a month without using the boat at all. Even in a worst case scenario, 13%, in hot weather leaves a full bank still at 87% SOC after a month. Still this can be a good benefit in certain use situations. Self discharge has never been an issue for me so would not be weighed in my own benefit analysis. If you're buying AGM batteries specifically for the low self discharge a small solar panel will eliminate the self discharge issue and cost considerably less than the price difference between a bank of AGM and flooded.
Wow, TONS of good info in that write up. Thank you for posting.

The above paragraph does leave me with a question. It's been my experience that after a battery has sat at PSOC for more than a day or two, the self discharge rate tends to go up noticeably. I have always assumed that this comes from sulfate bridging, but I have no real proof of that. If the battery (especially a cheap one) is left to sit for a longer period of time, the effect seems to accelerate.

Have you noticed similar increases in self discharge rate?