Age is just a number

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Augie Byllott

Mac Gregor weather helm

Re: the MacGregor 23 Dan McGuire wrote: "We have found that in winds much over about twenty knots, it is just about impossible to tack. We have been in winds up to about 30 knots, but it is very tiring because of the weather helm and the need to jibe rather than tack." This reply may be off point, but if it can help a sailor enjoy sailing a little more, I'm sure I'll be forgiven. The MacGregor 25 was my first sailboat. That was in 1984. In 1988, I progressed to a Catalina 30 and, this year, to an Irwin 38. I celebrated my 73rd birthday a few months ago and spend every minute I can on the water. The excessive weather helm in MacGregors is caused mainly by the way the rudder is constructed. The pivot point is directly at the leading edge and the tiller is relatively short. Once the wind piped up a bit, holding a course was a struggle for me. My wife couldn't do it at all. The Catalina 30, also a tiller boat, was easily managed by either of us even in strong winds. The difference is that the Catalina has a "balanced" rudder. This means that the pivot point is behind the leading edge -- about 4 or 5 inches in this case. I didn't know about balanced rudders when I owned the MacGregor, but if I did, I would have sliced a 3 inch strip from the rounded edge of an oak stair tread, faired it with a sander to match the leading edge of the rudder, and epoxied it to the rudder making sure that there would be sufficient clearance at the transom. After the epoxy cured, I would have filled, faired, and sanded the joint and the bottom edge of the oak. Next I would have applied a layer of fiberglass cloth and resin from half way back on one side of the rudder, around the front, and half way back on the other side of the rudder. I'd have added a second layer of fiberglass cloth and resin starting and ending about an inch short of the first layer. I'd have finished up with a third layer of fiberglass and resin starting and ending about an inch short of the second layer. The theory behind a balanced rudder is that moving water striking the area that is in front of the pivot point exerts force that helps to reduce the load on the tiller. If I had made this change to the rudder of my M25, I believe that it would have been much easier to handle. But that's just my belief. Perhaps there's someone out there who can shed some additional light on the subject.

A

Augie Byllott

Now a chicken

Mike of Winslow wrote: "the older I get the more careful I am about weather causing me and the boat trouble.... " Older and wiser go hand in hand, as do young and foolish.

A

Augie Byllott

No young 'uns, no money

Pirate Pete wrote: "We often talk about no one under 45 around the docks or the lake(unless strapped to an ungodly pwc).Our consensus is that they can't afford it yet due to their BMWs and maxed out credit card debt left over from college days.Anyone else have a theory?" True, no doubt. I believe there's also a fear factor. Fear of embarrassment. Many young folks see sailing as an activity that requires much skill that involves a long learning curve. Being used to instant gratification and looking good in the process, they shy away.

J

Jamie Crabtree

Fixing to turn 50 and first time buyer

I am fixing to turn 50, and probably go thru a divorce after 22 yrs. together. There will be no one but myself and my dog, Little. I am still breathing, and not had much chance at just living. Going to buy a sailboat and give it my best shot.

B

Brian

I guess this makes me young

I will turn 30 this year. I've been lucky enough to be sailing for almost 14 years now. I started at my Boy Scout camp learning on a tiny lake and fell in love being on the water. In talking with my non-sailing friends, they are often amazed that I sail, thinking that it is hard to learn. I tell them sailing is like chess. It only takes a little while to learn how, but a lifetime to master. Many also assume that it is a really expensive hobby and are amazed when I tell them how little I spent to buy my own boat and keep it up. Granted, I have a 30 year old trailer sailor, but she floats and sails like a dream.

J

John S. Spooner

Can't Kneel

Since having surgery to replace both knees, I cannot kneel on my titaniam replacements which means I cannot sail on Lake Erie and crawl forward to deal with headsail problems. Therefore I have taken my Catalina 22 to Pymatuning Lake on the border of Ohio and Pennsylvania where the waves are not as steep and fierce. It may take me two hours to get there, but I think it is less hazzardous.

G

Glenn Forney

Never too old!

I will be 47 in November, and just purchased my first sailboat. It is a MAC 19. I have always had powerboats, but always enjoyed watching the sailboats on the Potomac river. Sold the powerboat last week and puchased the MAC today. Can't wait to get her wet.

M

Mark Swart

30 years also

I'm 30 also -- I grew up around boats with my parents always working on old fixer-uppers as winter projects. My wife and I got into sailing again a few years ago. I share your philosophy -- we have a 30 year old boat that we love. I could never afford a new one, and would feel like it was a waste of money even if I could. Your amount of fun on the water isn't related to how much your boat costs. Question: is it just me, or are all of your friends older too? Kinda funny, I spend more time hanging out with people my parent's age than I do my own age. Guess it takes people a while to figure out how cool sailing really is!

A

Augie Byllott

Fixing to turn 50

Resoonding to: Fixing to turn 50 and first time buyer Submitted by Jamie Crabtree of Chattanooga, Tennessee on 06/03 at 10:36PM regarding General_interest I am fixing to turn 50, and probably go thru a divorce after 22 yrs. ------------------------------------------------ You may wish to reconsider, for as many sailors can attest, "It's cheaper to keep her."

S

Susan French

Second Wind

I came from a sailing family. I reckon I got my sea legs around about the time I began to walk. My dreams of endless cruising were shattered when I lost my Dad, one of the saltiest skippers you could ever meet, to a fatal heart attack at age 61. I gave up sailing. It was too emotional an issue to revisit without my terrific Dad at the helm. It must be 30 years later. I meet a man named John and fall in love. What I don't know is that this fellow, besides being handsome and charming, has always wanted to own a sailboat. Cut to the chase. We move in together, spy a 3 year old MacGregor 26X in a nearby field, pull a few strings, and voila, we are boat owners. So we get married, and sail away for a honeymoon. What could be more romantic? We are both 55 this summer. We seem to enjoy our boat more with each sailing season. Marriage and sailing just seem to get better as the years go by.

R

Ral

Weather Helm reason & cure

Weather helm in any sailboat results from the position of the center of effort (CE - sails and their size relative to the wind strength) relative to the position of the center of resistance (CR - keel and rudder). On the 26S, ours is a 1994 with extensive running rigging modifications, reefing the main moves the CE forward thereby taking pressure off the rudder. At the same time the swing keel should be adjusted upward (aft with reference to the CE and boat) to move the CR aft. I have found that our 26S can be balanced and have little weather helm in winds to 25 knots with gusts to 30 knots with proper adjustment to sail area and the location of lateral resistance and lift generated by the keel and rudder. We still experience some weather helm in strong gusts, but the worst case is a round-up for a brief period during exceptional gusts. The running rigging modifications I mentioned include 2 main sail reefs, furler with three head sails (110, 135, 150), mid-cockpit traveler, outhaul with a block, seperate reefing line on the main, winches and swivel cleats on the cockpit coamings, halyards led to the cockpit, and others. An ad for this boat will be placed soon on this site as we have moved up to a larger boat after 7 years with our 26S.

Status
Not open for further replies.