Age is just a number

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SailboatOwners.com

Ellen MaCarthur, aboard Kingfisher, completes the Vendee Globe nonstop, solo, around the world race at age 24, setting records for youngest sailor, fastest woman solo, nonstop circumnavigator etc. And in most sports, the participants are "over the hill" at age 35, some much younger. Is sailing an exception to that? Canadian Tony Gooch, age 64, just completed a non stop solo circumnavigation in March, aboard Taonui. It was the first departure from a Pacific port (Victoria BC) and is thought to be the first without commercial sponsorship. He sailed 24,363 miles in 177 days. Cruising World reports that Reece Palley, age 80, has finally agreed that his 46 foot, 20 ton cruiser may be a bit too much for him, and he's going to downsize to a Morgan 38. At age 86, Walter Cronkite continues to sail Wyntje on the ocean and write books about it. How old are you now? How has your sailing changed over the years? Are you sailing more comfortable boats in less challenging conditions now? Or do your greater experience and improved skills allow you to take on more complex boats and sail them to more challenging places? To what age do you expect to sail? And do you ever expect to give in as so many have to (gasp!) a trawler? Share your thoughts on sailing and age then vote in the Quick Quiz at the bottom of the home page. (Quiz by Gary Wyngarden)

D

Dan

Got started late.

I only took up sailing five years ago, and I just turned 41. I find I want to challenge myself more. I sail on a lake, which is pretty tame, but very good for racing and drilling in such matters as man overboard recovery, storm tactics, etc. I've been on a few trips to bigger water, and the plan is to build my experience and skill towards at least a trans-Atlantic voyage. I know this: I can't imagine life without sailing anymore.

Jan 22, 2003
Hunter 25_73-83 Burlington NJ
But I hate my number...

... particularly since it represents havening taken 20 years off from sailing (having been stuck married to an extraordinarily terrestrial wife). (Funny I should see Reese Palley mentioned here... he once stopped in at the Cherubini shop to order a 44 but was too impatient to enter the job queue and wait for one. He was then about 55... had a 22-year-old blonde straight off the beach at Malibu with him. Age is just a number!!!) JC

F

Frank Ross

Just really got started at 57

I got started sailing 3 years ago - built a 12 foot sailing dingy. - loved it, then moved up to a C250 this year. Have dreams of crusing the Pacific someday - but it will have to wait till I learn to sail better and am retired and get a blue water cruiser. Age is a state of mind - you only as old as yout act and feel. Just build up your tolerance to aches and pains.

N

nick maggio

last year

Last year was my first year at age 55 with my 290 only had hobie cats and sunfish before that,I made up my mine to go sailing on a real sail boat and I am so glad I did ,I go out on my boat during the week after work and every week end. I am looking forward to retireing and doing some week and month long cruising around new england ,block island ,newport,mystic.

M

May

Maybe Older But Not Up

Growing older and sailing,HUMMM!!! The signs are just there a few grey hairs, back isn't as strong yada yada yada but we "fixed" it all with electronic wenches, windless,generator, air conditioner, freezer etc. the creature comforts!! The boating life has been with us for 28 years, now that we are in our "prime" I certainly don't want to give up any of it!!!!

V

Van

Is age a factor in my sailing?

I started sailing when I was 36 years old. I sailed O'Day daysailers and 22ft Bristol in Naragansett Bay; 26ft Bristol, 27ft Coronado, 30ft Hunter in SF Bay. Presently I am sailing a 37.5 1994 Hunter Legend. My boat is docked at Shelter Island Marina, San Diego Bay. I am now 70 and age has not been a factor yet. I hope it won't be for a long time. We cruise quite a bit up the Southern California Coast, Catalina and Ensenada, in Mexico.

J

joe phibbs

age and station

Age and station are both important. Thirty years ago my wife and I got a 12' Mayflower, made by Sunfish...a great boat for the two of us, plus our dog. We had just started teaching in Portsmouth and reveled in the freedom of after-school, or all Saturday sails in the Lafayette River. We once sailed around the moored SS United States. Several boats and jobs and decades later, we love racing our Hunter 31 and gunkholing the lower bay. We co-own Alure with great friends. I retire next year and have three goals: circumnavigate the Delmarva, build a sailing dink and hitch a ride to Key West, via the ICW. Now it doesn't matter what order these event come in, but it shant take long to do all three. So far, we have gotten as far as Coinjock last Easter break, narrowed the field to three sets of plans and prospected on HOW for berths. We will keep you all posted. joe

H

Howard Edson

Along for the ride

I'm 63 and just purchased my first sailboat, an Irwin 32, and a whole new phase of my life has just opened up. I'll sail until God tells me to give it up. I have no predetermined age; the aging process will guide my decision. I'm keeping my options open, and that would include the possibility of -- well maybe -- ugh -- someday -- shifting to a trawler.

D

DR David M Parker

age no problem.. body is!

I am now 74.. I have sailed,mainly on offshore passages, for most of my life.I still am shocked when I look at the old, arthritic, man in the mirror. I have found, lately, that I think quite often about big ocean and blue rollers, but have come to the realization that my body is just not going to allow me the peace of mind that I must have when setting off alone on a longer passage. My experience tells me that sooner or later the ocean will hand me a situation where strength and endurance are the only paths to survival. Since I now have neither, I must advise myself not to go.. Of course there are coastal cruises, gunkholing, club racing, and the like, but once having seen the grandeur of open ocean passages, I find them like washing one's feet with his socks on. Of course I could do as many others do, and just go anyway, relying on others to rescue me when my own poor judgement has put me into a situation I can't handle. I would rather die first! So, for the present I will go down to the boat, do up the brightwork, build a new dinghy, change the oil, update my almanac and hope for good news from the doctors, and engage in a little catch as catch can racing with my marina neighbors.....

D

Don K.

Back In At Seventy One

I got out of sailing twenty years ago and have missed it every day since! I am in the process of refurbishing my Chrysler 26 and I don't intend to give it up as long as I can climb aboard and go. Furling headsail and all halyards and lines led aft to the cockpit will help. There is nothing like sailing and messing around with boats. My wife (69) and I lived aboard and she is ready to get back into sailing.

D

Dan McGuire

Late Starter

I am 65 and Sharon is 62. We started taking sailing lessons when I was 60. At present I am more tolerant of rough weather conditions than several years ago. I do expect that over the next few years I will be less willing to tackle heavy weather. We have a McGregor Newport 23. We have found that in winds much over about twenty knots, it is just about impossible to tack. We have been in winds up to about 30 knots, but it is very tiring because of the weather helm and the need to jibe rather than tack. I would guess at this point we are more limited by the boat than our own willingness to sail in heavy weather.

M

mike

now a chicken

the older I get the more careful I am about weather causing me and the boat trouble.... I don't want to be caught out in a fight for the boat or my life... In the 70's when I had my first boats I thought less about this.. the boats were smaller and easier to duck into a hide away...

M

Mary Brittain

Also started late

I find it interesting and incredibly comforting to note the number of responses from people that have entered sailing at a later age. My husband is 53 and I am 51. We bought our first sailboat last August - a Northern 29. Neither of us had any sailing experience before that. So, we're in a huge learning curve and enjoying every minute (well, okay, maybe not *every* minute - some lessons are painful). We're planning on having decades of sailing yet, so it's good to hear of people in their 70's and 80's that are still going strong - and yes, we'll use technology to help us do that if we have to. Mary

B

Becky Cope

AGE is a FEELING, not a number!

When I turned 50, I had some major health challenges. With the help of 0asis Wellness Network and their anti-aging information and products, I lost weight and gained my life back. We recently moved about our 44' Motorsailor, WakeRobin II, to begin a new cruising schedule. In 1987, we bought a Trawler and lived aboard for 4 years, doing quite a bit of travel to the Bahamas, Intracoastal, Tenn-Tom, etc. The trawler was not as seaworthy as we would like for more extensive cruises, so we changed horses and bought a Motorsailor with a 240hp Perkins! So far, we are in heaven. We must finish the refurbs and restock the cruising kitty a little more before we can take off, but we feel that we will be cruising for as long as we FEEL like it! Who knows what our age will be? That isn't nearly as important as the energy and will to enjoy the cruising lifestyle.

J

Jim

Age is a State of Mind

At the tender age of 60 I find I am more willing to spend days at sea, alone. I cruise more, go further and have no concerns. As a kid of 20 years +/- I sailed alone. Then came the mid years and I thought it neat to have a few people along. No more. Sailors belong at sea, and that is the place for me.

B

Bob Vannier

Ancient Mariner

I'm starting a new season at age 83. My sailing is mostly limited by the Northeast weather on Lake Champlain. From June through October is about all we can expect. My O'Day 23 is in the water but I may not get out for another week. I'm lucky to get in 40 days of sailing during the summer months but I intend to keep trying.

B

Brad Newell

More time...

Retiring caused the biggest change in my sailing habits. When I started sailing, I was working full-time and flying with a Reserve fighter squadron at the same time. That left damn little time for anything but day-sailing and an occasional short cruise. Things improved somewhat after I retired from the Reserve. As an airline pilot, my time off tended to come in lumps of a week or more at a time. That kind of fueled a burning desire to cruise more. When I reached an age where I could afford to retire early, I leaped at it. We still do a little day-sailing and/or club racing, but cruising is what we really enjoy. At this point in time we've seen a reasonable percentage of the world's cruising areas...and think we live in the best one. Hypothermia is a problem if you should fall over the side, but crocs are nonexistant, jellyfish and sharks are extremely rare - as are serious thunderstorms and high winds. As long as my health continues to hold up, I expect to sail our L-43 for at least another twenty years. Remember, tomorrow is guaranteed to no man.

R

Raymond MacStay

Stop Sailing, why?

I'll stop sailing when the funeral pyre on my boat burns to the waterline!

J

Joel

Youngin' now Sailor untill i die

I am 16 years of age and I just starting sailing two years ago when i inherited a 1975 catalina 22 from my grandfather and i have been loving it since the first time out and i plan to not only have my same boat until i die i plan on using it as much as possible because sailing is one of the most invigerating activities i can fathom...

Status
Not open for further replies.