Against the wind - in the docks

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
The lake close to me has two ramps with docks - facing SE. The prevailing winds are from the SE. Both times I've been there, the wind is pushing me into the docks I need to get away from.

If the wind is not too stiff, I can push off and make way.

No motor on my Vagabond 14.

Any tips for this situation?

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
This happens to us on occasion . What we do is as follows : we hoist the main and let the mainsheet out all the way . We have dock line from the bow to a dock cleat on the outboard side ,that comes back to the stern. When we pull on the dockline ,it pulls the bow away from the dock just enough that the main starts to fill and pulls us away from the dock. Hard to explain without pictures or showing you . One of the few times ,something is easier than it seems

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
How does one use oar locks when there is no place to sit in the middle of the boat?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I don't know your boat but in the McIntire I sat on the dagger board trunk.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I think @sloughsailer might be onto something.... you could put a hook on the other end and your oar would double as a dock hook

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
No boat is too small to begin to learn how to use spring lines. One can spring the bow out, the stern out or any number of things to aid one in getting on or off a dock.

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
No boat is too small to begin to learn how to use spring lines. One can spring the bow out, the stern out or any number of things to aid one in getting on or off a dock.
How does that work with a 20 mph wind pushing the boat into the dock?

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
If the boat is held by the spring line with the bow pointing away from the dock at a good angle, you can hoist the sails, pull them in, and sail away.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pretty well. It's not like every dock you will encounter always has ideal conditions for docking or departing. Sailing and seamanship aren't only about getting the sails up on a nice day.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
It’s not as easy with a large boat but do-able with any, especially one with very little windage.
The larger the boat, the easier it is to control in maneuvering situations. Bigger equals more time for the wind and/or current to get the vessel moving.

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
I have not found a single example on YouTube or anywhere else showing how to launch a small sailboat from a dock using a spring line. Lots on how to dock, lots on power boats using them.

Any of y'all know of a video that show what you're talking about?

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
1) Assuming you've just launched from a trailer, you can probably turn a 14 boat in the dock or around the end of the dock with just lines. Thus pointed in the correct direction, get the sails ready, big push off the dock, and off you go close hauled.
2) On 14ft boat, a canoe paddle and sculling your tiller can get you moving.
3) 20 mph wind with a 14 ft boat is perhaps an ideal opportunity to have lunch at a local restaurant instead of sailing that day.

Nov 21, 2022
Vagabond 14 La Vernia
1) Assuming you've just launched from a trailer, you can probably turn a 14 boat in the dock or around the end of the dock with just lines. Thus pointed in the correct direction, get the sails ready, big push off the dock, and off you go close hauled.
2) On 14ft boat, a canoe paddle and sculling your tiller can get you moving.
3) 20 mph wind with a 14 ft boat is perhaps an ideal opportunity to have lunch at a local restaurant instead of sailing that day.
I've successfully launched into a 15 mph wind at this lake. Last time there, winds were 25 gusting to 40 mph. It was all I could do to get the boat back on the trailer - with the help of another boater.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
If I was sailing with a dead motor and the winds turned 25 gusting to 40 I would bare my mast and sail to a safe anchorage. If already there I would not be inclined to leave even if the motor worked because my lake is fickle and likes to hide even higher wind on the other side of the point.
Launching sailboat without outboard motor?
(older thread that is now closed and not a video but is worth reading)