Aft lazarette seat

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
It just occurred to me that a nice aftermarket part for the C30 Mk1 would be an aft lazarette door with a raised seat for the helmsman. It would add extra space in the lazarette while providing a seat.

I assume nothing like this is out there, but what is everyone else doing for a helmsman seat?

-P

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Glad you asked. I installed a helm seat with swivel base on my 1980 Hunter 33 several years ago. It is mounted directly on top of the lazarette top hatch lid. The lid hinges were doubled up and two robust over center hold-downs from McMaster-Carr were added to secure the lid. The lid may still be opened, albeit awkwardly, by tipping the entire seat and lid assembly back. Alternatively the seat may be lifted off and then the lid may be opened completely. The seat is extremely comfortable and is high enough to see over the cabin top. When heeled over I swivel the seat to produce a reclining chair effect. The seat permits the front edge to be lifted up out of the way so that you may still stand at the helm and also lean against it. I could never understand why sailboats never came with these. Fashions are slow to change, I guess.

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
Glad you asked. I installed a helm seat with swivel base on my 1980 Hunter 33 several years ago. It is mounted directly on top of the lazarette top hatch lid. The lid hinges were doubled up and two robust over center hold-downs from McMaster-Carr were added to secure the lid. The lid may still be opened, albeit awkwardly, by tipping the entire seat and lid assembly back. Alternatively the seat may be lifted off and then the lid may be opened completely. The seat is extremely comfortable and is high enough to see over the cabin top. When heeled over I swivel the seat to produce a reclining chair effect. The seat permits the front edge to be lifted up out of the way so that you may still stand at the helm and also lean against it. I could never understand why sailboats never came with these. Fashions are slow to change, I guess.
I'd love to see a picture!

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
helm seat.png
In addition to the small picture of me sitting in said seat, here, hopefully, is another photo.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Yes, I can reach the wheel. Usually I only sit up there when I am well under way with all systems settled. From that point I mostly let the autopilot steer. It makes no sense to me to stand at the wheel for, say, six hours during a particular leg of a journey. Look in sailing magazines and you will find million dollar sailing yachts with nothing to sit on or even lean against while at the helm. On the other hand, every power boat of any size has a helm seat, and they mostly never leave the marina. Install your seat.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Can you see your telltales from there?

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
I am not sure about seeing the head sail telltales from the seat. I usually have to lean way outboard to see the headsail telltales around the mainsail. I think I am usually standing in that case. You would not sit in this seat if you were racing, rather you would stand in front of it. My seat has a feature where the front lifts up to produce a leaning post. The seat itself is most useful when you are cruising. The height is necessary to see over the cabin top while avoiding lobster pots.