Advise for Ranger 20

Jan 13, 2019
Kent Ranger 20 Priest Lake Idaho
I just purchased a Ranger 20 11/18. Hull #194. Looks like a great boat. I am going through the boat. cleaning it up and checking it out. I have just started on the electrical (very basic). The mast light didn't work so I went to change it out with an LED light and am having problems replacing old cut and worn out wiring (won't pull through). I assume it is attached at the top of mast but am not sure how to access/remove the top of the mast. Does anyone know what brand mast was used on R 20. Also any general info links on R20's would be appreciated. Thanks Kent

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Is the mast "up" or is have you taking it "down"?
Pictures would help.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
There should be some form of strain relief for the wire(s). That can come in a variety of methods. It might have been wrapping around a post inside the top of the masthead, or it might have been some other method. You should be able to see something. You might try shing a bright light in from above or below. Can you pull the wire "up" at all?

Jan 13, 2019
New
I can't pull the wire up from top or down from bottom. It appears to be loose looking up from the bottom, but I can't see more than half way up. Does this mast head look familiar.

Attachments

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
When you say "worn out wiring", are the conductors bad?

You could probably remove the top assembly by drilling out the rivets. You could re drill and add two two wires to the masthead light. Are you ready to start surgery, or do you need to?

Jan 13, 2019
The wires were cut at both ends near where they entered the mast at the bottom and where they exited at the top. The idea of redrilling on the top plate and then rethreading wire, (while leaving old wire) seems the most straight forward. If I did drill out the 4 rivets, could I tap the holes and replace them with 4 bolts? Or would new rivets be required. I don't have rivets that large.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I think I'd avoid drilling out the rivets. If the wires are otherwise okay (i.e., the insulation is good and the copper is not corroded) you might try to simply extend them. You can always replace them later. An LED will draw less amps.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
IF the wires are "good", then use marine grade wire and crimps. It's not "perfect", but you're sailing on fresh water lakes in modest season. The wires section to look at first are those exposed to the sun at the masthead. Is the insulation sun baked or is it still sound?

While you're looking at the masthead, make sure the sheaves are rotating freely. Check the spinnaker /jib block attachments, etc. If everything is sound, then I'd not be drilling out the rivets unless you have to.

Dec 6, 2021
Ranger 20 Austin
I just purchased a Ranger 20 11/18. Hull #194. Looks like a great boat. I am going through the boat. cleaning it up and checking it out. I have just started on the electrical (very basic). The mast light didn't work so I went to change it out with an LED light and am having problems replacing old cut and worn out wiring (won't pull through). I assume it is attached at the top of mast but am not sure how to access/remove the top of the mast. Does anyone know what brand mast was used on R 20. Also any general info links on R20's would be appreciated. Thanks Kent
Hi SG, I just bought a Ranger 20 myself. If you got any data etc., I'd love it if you could share with me! I'm a complete noob sailor, this is my first boat ever.