Advice needed. My rigging is maxed on the turnbuckles and not tight.

Aug 8, 2019
Vivacity 21 Earth
Hello all,
My name is Zach and my boats name is soon to be StarRover, pending Poseidons approval. She is a Vivacity 21, not real clear on the year because my title says 82 but from what I've learned they weren't making these boats in 82 so I don't know. anyways. I am new to sailing in general and am not sure what is going on with my rig. I got the mast stepped and tensioned the rigging as follows forstay, then backstays, then side spreaders, then my half shrouds. sorry I don't know the proper terms. my problem is that my turn buckles are all the way tighter with no more room to adjust but my rig doesn't seem like it is tight enough. honestly doesn't seem to be very tight at all. so I do not know maybe I am wrong if someone is willing to have an open discussion on the matter I would greatly appreciate ANY advice that would be given. thank you so much in advance!!! may the tides be in your favor.

Sincerely,
Zach

Aug 8, 2019
Vivacity 21 Earth
that is very possible. I did not know there was one that goes there. I kinda figured you just put the pin in the hinge and hoist her up. there is surely no spacer in there now though. its bare mast foot to bare mast seat. (wrong words I'm sure) I will have to look around and see if I can come up with something. its worth a try for sure! thanks for the quick response. first time on a forum didn't revise I would get a response that fast lol. so thank you very much

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Pictures would help. I used to have a Macgregor 22 and the shrouds (side stays) were always a little loose. That is the way those were. But you are correct, on most boats the stays are at least taught.

Jan 19, 2010
Welcome aboard. You will find this forum very responsive and people here very willing to help out. So post pictures, ask questions etc.

... then side spreaders, then my half shrouds. sorry I don't know the proper terms. ....
Uppers and lowers are the more common terms when describing the shrouds. I'm guessing what you are calling "half-shrouds" are your "lower shrouds" or simply "lowers".

Aug 8, 2019
Vivacity 21 Earth
Yes sir I do apologise I actually knew that just couldn't think of the right term. I will catch on eventually. I am gonna post some pictures of her now . It is hard to tell in my pictures because everything looks fairly straight I'ma try to take more from a better view .

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hard to say. The rig is rather light so it might just be that it has some slack. Or you could put shorter turnbuckles on the bail. Those twin keel boats are interesting. I've never sailed one. They were designed for places with extreme tidal range so that the boat could stand up when the tide was out.

In your pictures it looks like (but it was hard to see) that you might have a rotating boom. Is there a thumb screw on the gooseneck that you can loosen to allow your boom to rotate? I had one of those setups on my Macgregor 22 and it was a nice way to reef and furl the main. Also, if you leave the boom free to rotate while sailing, you will get a better sail shape near the foot.
563977_10150951923848244_393590611_n.jpg

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
The stays have stretched over all these years and they no longer fit, so you have to modify the mast by making it longer. You do this by placing a shim under the mast step as stated previously. Buy some aluminum flat stock at Lowes and trim to fit under mast step.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
I used this suggestion on another thread where the turn buckle bolts collide and the forestay was not tight. Just cut the bolts to make them shorter so they don’t touch each other. I think you could get by with only taking off a quarter-inch top and/or bottom bolts.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
I think we are missing a key point. If his stays are stretched it might be time to get new stays.
A very valid point! Certainly worth inspecting for wear, unraveling, broken wires, worn crimps, etc. I am just offering a quick fix for a seemingly simple adjustment.

Aug 8, 2019
Vivacity 21 Earth
Yeah I do believe I need to replace the rigging. I've worked on her tirelessly today and I think I got the mast stable enough to run a main and job. I won't hook a gin up to it until I replace the stays. That being said would anyone like to give their opinion on synthetic rigging? I know there's a million forums about the use of it but what would y'all in particular say? Worth it? She's going in and staying in for a good while.

Aug 8, 2019
Vivacity 21 Earth
My current stays have a couple that have unraveled a but like expanded? And some have kinks that won't come out. Regardless I need to replace the rigging I think that is my issue.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
That being said would anyone like to give their opinion on synthetic rigging?
Way overkill. Use a good quality 1x19 SS wire with swagged fittings (Which you will have to pay for) and you can rest easy. Nevertheless lengths are critical. You should get some professional guidance. Sailmaker is a good place to start.

Aug 8, 2019
Vivacity 21 Earth
Copy that good sir. Thank you for your advice. That goes for everyone I appreciate all the Insite.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
My cousin runs synthetic on his Farrier Tri. He loves it. Great for trailering. Can't kink.

They're DINK s though, so rigging money isn't a concern.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I used this suggestion on another thread where the turn buckle bolts collide and the forestay was not tight. Just cut the bolts to make them shorter so they don’t touch each other. I think you could get by with only taking off a quarter-inch top and/or bottom bolts.
I saw that suggestion on the other thread, too, and I think it's equally ridiculous here. Have you ever done that? A rigging stud is not just thread, there's a non-threaded portion on the end with a cotter pin hole in it. How do you propose to duplicate that? And, once you cut it and expose the bronze under the plating, would you re-plate it? Probably not.

Sure, if you want to have a hillbilly boat, go ahead.

If you want to do this correctly, figure out why the rigging is too long. Sounds to me, reading the thread, it is shot, i.e., past it's useful and safe life.

Several outfits can make new standing rigging. I recommend Rigging Only. They can copy your old rigging if you send it to them. You would also explain how it's too long, and they can evaluate the condition and see if it's due to stretch or broken strands, etc.

Jul 22, 2011
Mariner Yacht Co.(NH) Mariner 28 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
I agree it is most likely older, stretched out wire rope, but given it is a deck stepped mast, I'd suggest that you take a look at the compression post, or what ever is directly under the mast. I have seen a few boats with missing or "collapsed" compression posts, which will allow the deck to sink a small amount, thereby loosening the standing rigging. I'd hate to see you get all new rigging, which will be too short if the compression post is repaired. Its worth taking a look.