Advertising Advice for selling a boat

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I just looked over your add (assuming your boat is Kinship). Nice looking boat.

i don’t see any reference to an auto pilot. Not that it would make or break a deal, but a mark for sure. Is that toilet an electric or a composting (for me, composting is a Mark).

It is hard to sell late in the season, unless the buyer thinks he is getting a deal...since he is going to have to pay to store it right away.

Greg

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I’ve said it before and will say it again, clean, well maintained boats in the top 5% condition wise sell nearly instantly. Dirty, poorly maintained, full of owners gear etc., etc. sit.. I had a customer with a Sabre complaining of the same thing. His boat was mechanically sound but looked like a pig pen. I convinced him to pay the $1000..00 for a full a full blown interior and exterior detail (including bilge, engine, all stainless, interior teak re-oiled, complete buff/wax etc.) and it sold in two weeks for full asking price, this after 16 months of low ball offers 10K to 15K below asking price. Appearance matters a lot..

Sep 4, 2020
Hunter 380 Moored in Maine
I've used sailboatlistings.com both to evaluate a sell price and also used to find one of our boats. You can do a wide search or state specific to see the differences
We will check this site out. Thanks.

Sep 4, 2020
I just looked over your add (assuming your boat is Kinship). Nice looking boat.

i don’t see any reference to an auto pilot. Not that it would make or break a deal, but a mark for sure. Is that toilet an electric or a composting (for me, composting is a Mark).

It is hard to sell late in the season, unless the buyer thinks he is getting a deal...since he is going to have to pay to store it right away.

Greg
Storage is always up for discussion. We went from Maine to Florida and back without autohelm - we enjoy the action of being at the wheel, though do see the attraction of autohelm for others. Easy to add. We are composting head fans. Having done part of our voyage south with 20 boats as part of Sail Magazine's 2015 ICW Rally we can attest to the joy of not having to worry about pumpout facilities. Everything is in the eye of the beholder, and you are correct that our decisions can be "marks" against Kinship. We did not remove the holding tank knowing someday we would sell.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020
Seems like they boats are selling in my area (Chicago area on Lake Michigan). Prices may not be the highest, but I am really surprised so many boats are moving. I thought Covid would cause people to conserve cash and not buy large items...but home sales seem to be brisk (maybe people moving out of cities and out to the suburbs), and boat sales seem brisk. Maybe because people cant go anywhere, so might as well Buy a boat.

Greg
Good to hear. We read about boats selling but when we inquire further it seems they are of the motor variety.

Sep 4, 2020
Just looked up your boat up they-ah in the Haa-bah... One owner boat draw a premium.. If the boat has always been in Maine, that draws a premium. Since our season is 5 months at best, it has less that half the wear and tear that Florida year round boats have.
I stay the course... A clean looking boat...
Thanks! Yes, being in Maine has its advantages. I see you are enjoying our great waters too.

Sep 4, 2020
I’ve said it before and will say it again, clean, well maintained boats in the top 5% condition wise sell nearly instantly. Dirty, poorly maintained, full of owners gear etc., etc. sit.. I had a customer with a Sabre complaining of the same thing. His boat was mechanically sound but looked like a pig pen. I convinced him to pay the $1000..00 for a full a full blown interior and exterior detail (including bilge, engine, all stainless, interior teak re-oiled, complete buff/wax etc.) and it sold in two weeks for full asking price, this after 16 months of low ball offers 10K to 15K below asking price. Appearance matters a lot..

[/QUOTE No pig pen here...Kinship is spotless! Even the bilge shines.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I have not looked at the ad but the first thing is appearance. A boat has to be very clean upon presentation. That includes motor housing. Second all equipment is in working order and noted in the ad. Third is a good broker who is also on Yachtworld. If not listed nor affiliated with Yachtworld, you may want to consider another broker.

I was a full line Hunter dealer and following the above suggestions usually sold brokerage boats. Now retired. In fact I demanded all boats to be in working order and clean. If not one of the following occurred. First I refused but for a fee the boat was cleaned and all gear in working order, I usually sold it. That included trade ins as well.

Sep 4, 2020
I have not looked at the ad but the first thing is appearance. A boat has to be very clean upon presentation. That includes motor housing. Second all equipment is in working order and noted in the ad. Third is a good broker who is also on Yachtworld. If not listed nor affiliated with Yachtworld, you may want to consider another broker.

I was a full line Hunter dealer and following the above suggestions usually sold brokerage boats. Now retired. In fact I demanded all boats to be in working order and clean. If not one of the following occurred. First I refused but for a fee the boat was cleaned and all gear in working order, I usually sold it. That included trade ins as well.
I am confident we have already hit all your well-taken points. Boat is spotless (we live on it in the summer) and in working order. We are in Yachtworld. Good for you to be retired - though a Hunter dealer would have been a great asset to us for those looking to move up. The 380 model was a great year. Any other advertising thoughts? We are going into Points East's next issue - outside of what the broker is doing. Thanks.

Sep 4, 2020
Probably my error but can’t find any 380 in Maine listed when I search Yachtworld. Did see a 386.
I guess you have to trick the search engine! Try putting in this in both of the search boxes and it comes up first: length: 38 min 38 max; year 2000 min 2000 max; price 64500 min. 64500 max.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I guess you have to trick the search engine! Try putting in this in both of the search boxes and it comes up first: length: 38 min 38 max; year 2000 min 2000 max; price 64500 min. 64500 max.
I’ll do that but my point is -if I can’t see it, I’m wondering if others can’t which might be one explanation.

I did what most people looking would do for search criteria - type in Hunter and 38 for length. And don’t see it.

• Helpful
Sep 4, 2020
New Question: We just discovered that the listing indicates that the boat is on the hard which is certainly is not yet! We have had a lovely season sailing in Maine. Makes us wonder if this unfortunate misinformation has impacted activity??? Anyone have an opinion on this? Is it time to find a new broker who will pay more attention?

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Don has a good point. I just went to YW and typed in Hunter, used, 38 to 38 feet. It did not come up, and there were 4 pages of others. Yours would be the least expensive of the bunch. I'd call your broker immediately and ask what the problem is.

I found the boat earlier, by typing in a LOT more search criteria. But to have it not come up as serious competition to the other 50 entries is a real issue. If the broker can't help, I'd contact YW (then get a new broker).

If you decide to broaden your chances by moving it down to Florida, PM me for a good broker.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
New Question: We just discovered that the listing indicates that the boat is on the hard which is certainly is not yet! We have had a lovely season sailing in Maine. Makes us wonder if this unfortunate misinformation has impacted activity??? Anyone have an opinion on this? Is it time to find a new broker who will pay more attention?
Actually, being out greatly facilitates an inspection. The only good being in the water provides is a sea trial which is the LAST thing on anyone’s list.

Sep 4, 2020
Don has a good point. I just went to YW and typed in Hunter, used, 38 to 38 feet. It did not come up, and there were 4 pages of others. Yours would be the least expensive of the bunch. I'd call your broker immediately and ask what the problem is.

I found the boat earlier, by typing in a LOT more search criteria. But to have it not come up as serious competition to the other 50 entries is a real issue. If the broker can't help, I'd contact YW (then get a new broker).

If you decide to broaden your chances by moving it down to Florida, PM me for a good broker.
I don't know what to say. I have not had a problem putting in a few parameters - size range, price range and region and having it come up. I spoke with the broker and he does not have an answer for you. Sailboats are not moving in Maine but we are not likely to move it to Florida. We are going take it out of the broker's hands since we are not having success there.

Sep 4, 2020
Actually, being out greatly facilitates an inspection. The only good being in the water provides is a sea trial which is the LAST thing on anyone’s list.
For sure. We put it in this season in order to enjoy it "one last time" - which we certainly have AND because we have been told that boats are better off in the water. We will be up in Maine to sail with other boats one last time and probably haul it out the end of September.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I don't know what to say. I have not had a problem putting in a few parameters - size range, price range and region and having it come up. I spoke with the broker and he does not have an answer for you. Sailboats are not moving in Maine but we are not likely to move it to Florida. We are going take it out of the broker's hands since we are not having success there.
I don't need an answer, just giving you info. If you don't need an answer, that's fine also. Hard to sell something that doesn't appear. Good luck.