Advertising Advice for selling a boat

Sep 4, 2020
Hunter 380 Moored in Maine
Is the problem Covid-19 or are sailboats our size just not selling? We have listed our H380 with a broker (in Maine where the boat is) and we were optimistic after reading several articles on how boats are selling like crazy. Our broker also said that in spite of not being at boat shows business was brisk. After almost a year, we wonder if there is extra exposure we should be doing on our own, or if this is just a Covid-19 effect on sailboats. We did buy space on this website. Can folks share other websites, media, methods that they have used successfully - especially if it is a recent big boat sale. (We have followed advice given here last year when we were getting it ready. Thanks.) We absolutely love our boat but are up in years and sadly it is time to downsize. Help! Thanks.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
One reason boats don’t sell quickly is the price. If you haven’t already done so, verify what your broker told you regarding actual sale price of similar boats.

Sep 4, 2020
One reason boats don’t sell quickly is the price. If you haven’t already done so, verify what your broker told you regarding actual sale price of similar boats.
Thanks! Yes, you are right, the price must be right. Actually we started $5,000 below our competitors on the market and we just insisted that the broker lower it again. He did not want to do this but he is not the one paying for storage this winter!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Well you look like the cheapest 380 on Yacht Trader, but the original sails and canvas being 20 years old and the old instruments are marks against the boat in this price range. I loved living in Maine, my son was born in Bath, but that economy up there isn't great and are there really a lot of buyers for mid $60k boats running around? Also you were up front about the damage she took and repair, this is great for being honest but probably has buyers moving on to the next boat.

If you want to get ride of her like has been said aggressively drop the price to sell, I consider low $50k because I would want to budget $10k in sails, canvas and other minor corrections. Still at $50k, it might not sell till next spring.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020
Well you look like the cheapest 380 on Yacht Trader, but the original sails and canvas being 20 years old and the old instruments are marks against the boat in this price range. I loved living in Maine, my son was born in Bath, but that economy up there isn't great and are there really a lot of buyers for mid $60k boats running around? Also you were up front about the damage she took and repair, this is great for being honest but probably has buyers moving on to the next boat.

If you want to get ride of her like has been said aggressively drop the price to sell, I consider low $50k because I would want to budget $10k in sails, canvas and other minor corrections. Still at $50k, it might not sell till next spring.
All great comments. Thanks. We have photos documenting the repair but your point is well taken. Is it too late to take this off? We are not averse to dropping the price again because we understand that the next ower will want new canvas. The sails are in excellent condition though. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Sep 4, 2020
Price sells boats. Bite the bullet and sell it cheap. Also, lots of good photos
There are lots of photos on the broker's site. If we were sure going lower was the key we would lower it more. Our question is, though, is there really a market out there anymore and where are the best places to advertise a boat that is in Maine. Thanks.

Sep 4, 2020
Can you move the boat to a larger market? Potential buyers may not want to travel as far as Maine (Especially with the Covid quarantine restrictions). If it were in Southern New England you may get eyes on it - like Rhode Island or Connecticut.
We have talked about that. Sounds like you believe Covid is having an impacdt on buyers' behaviors. We sailed down to the Keys with her and back in 2015 so we certainly know the southern New England sailing meccas. I suppose if there were serious folks inquiring from further south (not tire kickers) we might consider a move. Our broker has offices in Salen MA, Portsmouth RI and Mystic CT.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
The photos are great and I think the honesty about the damage and repair should be kept. There is a market out there but I bet you problem is Maine. I spent some time looking before we found our 310, and the farther away the more cost to move and set-up was a factor. The fact of Maine location means that a person in FL looking for an awesome boat to sail the island has to factor in shipping or sailing her. For me I quickly realized I needed the right boat, in the right place for the right price.

I almost bet Maine is suffering big time with COVID and if this boat was in say St Augustine FL at $50k it would sell fast.

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
I've used sailboatlistings.com both to evaluate a sell price and also used to find one of our boats. You can do a wide search or state specific to see the differences

Sep 4, 2020
I've used sailboatlistings.com both to evaluate a sell price and also used to find one of our boats. You can do a wide search or state specific to see the differences
Thanks. Will check this one out for sure. I am going to see about uploading photos to this site as well.

Sep 4, 2020
I just took a drubbing on a boat but it's sold and the bleeding wound of storage is stemmed. I'm now able to look forward. Money is only one consideration.
That's about where we are too. The combination of storage fees and the fact that the boat is just too big for us are big motivators to sell before another season. Thanks.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
As a point of reference, a Hunter 36 and a Hunter 386 in my yard (Massachusetts) sold quickly this summer - there is demand in this size range.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I had clients when I lived in Greenport who had a Gulfstar - I think - 36. They were in their late 80's and he had cognitive disabilities. It became quite a problem for her although they had wealth. They held on too long and ended selling the boat for under market price. Based on that and other experiences I encourage folks who are holding onto a boat they can't handle to liquidate it. It only gets worse.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Just looked on yachyworld.com and didn’t see your boat. Strange as you indicated it is listed via a broker. Where is it advertised?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Seems like they boats are selling in my area (Chicago area on Lake Michigan). Prices may not be the highest, but I am really surprised so many boats are moving. I thought Covid would cause people to conserve cash and not buy large items...but home sales seem to be brisk (maybe people moving out of cities and out to the suburbs), and boat sales seem brisk. Maybe because people cant go anywhere, so might as well Buy a boat.

Greg

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Just looked up your boat up they-ah in the Haa-bah... One owner boat draw a premium.. If the boat has always been in Maine, that draws a premium. Since our season is 5 months at best, it has less that half the wear and tear that Florida year round boats have.
I stay the course... A clean looking boat...

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
If it hasn't sold by now, it won't (up there) until the spring. Hire a captain, sail it down to Florida at the next decent weather window. I wouldn't go this week.

Others have said it, price drives everything - the level of attention, the number of calls to the broker, the willingness to go look - all of those have to happen repetitively before you get offer #1. The colder it gets, the fewer people want to look.