Adventures in reefing

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
What are mast gates?
Lots of different versions out there but basically a two part “cover” for the opening where the slugs go into the track. Let’s the slugs slide down “lower” so the buildup doesn’t interfere with getting the reef cringle closer to the boom/gooseneck point.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You might try this change in sequence. It may be easier to get your main clew in a better position.

1. Head up to de-power the main.
2. Ease the boom vang / Ease the main sheet (I have end of boom main sheet).
3. Ease the main halyard until reefing cringle reaches the reefing hook (need to attach a new one on my boat)
4. Tension the reefing line. This raises the boom end to the proper height
5. Attach reefing cringle to reefing hook.
6. Re-tension the main halyard.
7. Install reefing ties through reef points and loosely around bottom of the sail (but not around the boom)
8. Re-tension boom vang
9. Resume course.

I am doing all this at the mast. All of my reefing rigging is there and set on the starboard side of the mast. I use starboard side to move forward because my port side has the furler line. I do not like to walk on decks that have working lines. One less trip worry.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The gates get the sail off the mast. Then you still have to bundle the main up as it will want to go everywhere. Then there is the shaking out of the reef, raise the sail to full height, and you now need to remember to reattach the sail slugs before you can raise the sail.

For me too much additional work for little or no advantage.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
FWIW if you are on a point of sail where you can fully luff the main, you can do so for reefing the sail.

cstats

May 11, 2020
Catalina 30 Charlotte, VT
You might try this change in sequence. It may be easier to get your main clew in a better position.

1. Head up to de-power the main.
2. Ease the boom vang / Ease the main sheet (I have end of boom main sheet).
3. Ease the main halyard until reefing cringle reaches the reefing hook (need to attach a new one on my boat)
4. Tension the reefing line. This raises the boom end to the proper height
5. Attach reefing cringle to reefing hook.
6. Re-tension the main halyard.
7. Install reefing ties through reef points and loosely around bottom of the sail (but not around the boom)
8. Re-tension boom vang
9. Resume course.

I am doing all this at the mast. All of my reefing rigging is there and set on the starboard side of the mast. I use starboard side to move forward because my port side has the furler line. I do not like to walk on decks that have working lines. One less trip worry.
I use the topping lift to raise the end of the boom before easing the main halyard (forgot to mention that). I always heard (YouTube vids) that you should re-tension the main halyard before tensioning the reefing line. Something about the danger of damaging the mainsail if done the other way.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
yes, when you reef, the sail slugs will be stacked up at the bottom of the mast track, but as long as you can pull the crinkle down over the reef hook, you should be ok. A bit harder with 2 reefs...because the stack is bigger.

When you tension the reefing line, you probably can’t pull it right down to the boom either, so the tack and clew will be roughly in line.

best advice is to play around with your setup and see what’s work. I have owned my O’Day 322 for 7 years now, and this past year spent a fair amount of time working on the reefing to get some friction out of the system. I got a new main sail last year and was doing a lot of tuning....the reefing works much better now.

Greg

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I only use the 2nd reef point. The reefing line is made fast on the boom directly below the upper leech reefing cringle on the mainsail. The sheet rises and traverses the cringle, decends to a checking block and runs forward to a checking block at the gooseneck. The sheet rises to the luff cringle, traverses and decends to a block on the mast plate and runs out board to a flat turning block that feeds the sheet into a triple clutch in the cockpit. The main halyard and reefing line both have pre-registered marks that make for quick single handed reefing.

cstats

May 11, 2020
Catalina 30 Charlotte, VT
Thanks All, for the advice and suggestions. I’ll try these out next spring! I’ve always for the most part controlled heeling with the roller furler on the headsail, but would like to make mainsail reefing easier (especially as I’m often sailing on Lake Champlain single-handed) to take advantage of the superior performance that a reefed mainsail provides.