Adrift in movies tonight ...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
That is a very pretty boat. Did they say, "no boats were harmed during the filming of this movie" in the intro credits?

How big were the waves reported in the book?

I could not tell it was cgi.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Saw the movie last night with 3 others. Everyone liked it. There are some examples of survival boo boos, but nothing like All is Lost. You also must consider that it was a true story. The story is told in flashbacks which kept the ladies interested. Otherwise, it might have been a real drag watching people starve. The audience clapped at the end. I would give it 3 out of 4 stars.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
A few years ago we were at Blake Island when someone did project onto a sail. It was an okay way to watch a movie.

Ken

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
How big were the waves reported in the book?

I could not tell it was cgi.
)
In these stills it's apparent, but in motion it seems obviously CG. The motion is all wrong, as they usually do, the lighting all one shade, fuzzy details, etc. especially compared to the actual photo of the crew there. I could tell it was CG in one second on a little iPhone 4.
The wave is hilarious. On a 44 foot boat the main mast is likely 60 feet above the water. That wave is easily twice that.
The largest wave ever recorded on any open ocean on Earth is 63 feet. And that was an anomaly. There was one 78 feet recently, but I think it was on a coastal region geographically known for large waves.
And it wouldn't have a granite sheer-drop mountain face coming out of comparably flat water.
:cool:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Waves don't need to be THAT big to capsized a sailboat. They usually need to break on the boat, though.
estimate 4' topside, 6' sailor, wave was maybe 5' over his head, 15' breaker?

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It seems easy to criticize hollywood's depiction of a life we know. Maybe it is because they live in a different world and have a different viewpoint. When watching a movie I remind myself it is just entertainment and that helps me fuzz out some of the glaring abnormalities.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
It seems easy to criticize hollywood's depiction of a life we know. Maybe it is because they live in a different world and have a different viewpoint. When watching a movie I remind myself it is just entertainment and that helps me fuzz out some of the glaring abnormalities.
They did great with Master and Commander. There's minor CG but I challenge anyone to find it.
Or Dead Calm. Zero CG.
Many others.
And other genres, like Ironman. My brain knows it's CG, but it can't tell visually. Like when the suit is being installed. Fantastic job.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Some of it is just fun as intended by the director and crew.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Looks like the same wave as seen in "Perfect Storm"; nah, can't be!!

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Looks like the same wave as seen in "Perfect Storm"; nah, can't be!!
I too was thinking that I have seen that wave before. Might also be from that movie Deep Impact. Or even The Poseidon Adventure, the remake. Yeah, that wave has been used.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I too was thinking that I have seen that wave before. Might also be from that movie Deep Impact. Or even The Poseidon Adventure, the remake. Yeah, that wave has been used.
You know, once Hollywood has had a great wave like that answer their casting call, they hang on to its number: (555) han-g101.
Originally from Japan, he's good for beach parties and kid's birthdays, and conventions too. His name's Mitoizumi Tsunami (affectionately known by his friends as "the salt shaker", big margarita fan).
I understand he is scheduled to star in a new HBO series, "Surf's Up". He plays a bumbling but loveable beach bum named Rogue McWave, concerned about the global ecology. In e1 s1, he is trying to save the local beach from washing away by hosting a surfing competition. Needless to say, things do not go as planned and hilarity ensues

- Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Boy, talk about being type cast. Poor wave only has one part.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I haven’t seen the movie yet. Would it be ok if I were to watch it and enjoy it purely for its entertainment value? Somehow Star Wars comes to mind. Or even The Muppet Movie. Not a whole lot of realism in either.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
I haven’t seen the movie yet. Would it be ok if I were to watch it and enjoy it purely for its entertainment value? Somehow Star Wars comes to mind. Or even The Muppet Movie. Not a whole lot of realism in either.
What!? Star Wars? Are you kidding?
:biggrin:
I watched that movie at the Fox Theater in Santa Barbara in 1977 when I was 11.
Just the opening scene had me wide-eyed and yelling "Wow! Wow!" Along with the rest of the audience.
Nothing like it on screen before ever. Nothing.
Even today it's better than much of CG.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Kermit ==Yes Bring the Mrs.
Thanks for the invite. I’m pretty sure I’ll wait until I can watch it on demand on TV. My wife tells me she has no interest in seeing it.